Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2012, 12:56 PM

644 posts, read 1,354,224 times

Advertisements

The future of Houston's public transportation is on the line and it will come down to a vote in November. This is so incredibly important to the future of our city. Please take some time to look this over and consider attending the meeting on June 18th at 6pm to let your voice be heard. If Metro is not allowed to keep its tax dollars then we will have all these beautiful new light rail lines throughout the city, but no money to run them.

Metro board wants tax comments on June 18 - Houston Tomorrow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 12:59 PM

117 posts, read 229,838 times
We need this, I hope Houstonians don't back out at the last second.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:00 PM

644 posts, read 1,354,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivionlml View Post
We need this, I hope Houstonians don't back out at the last second.
Yes we do! We need to make a HUGE showing at this meeting on June 18th because truly this is a grassroots effort to save an incredibly important system here in Houston.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:27 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,304,323 times
Quote:
...to receive public comments on whether or not to end the diversion of transit sales taxes to 15 cities and unincorporated Harris County.

For decades, Metro has been forced to give about 25% of its sales tax revenue to these other entities. A presentation at the last Metro board meeting showed that most of the cities and Harris County get back more than they contribute. Piney Point Village, for instance, will have contributed $1,492,000 million from 1988-2014, while receiving $23,571,000.
Doesn't surprise me,
I've been wondering for a long time why is it that where there's more taxpayers (city) usually you find the worse roads.

BTW, that's a big reason why everybody moves to the suburbs (where tax money is spent in infrastructure)

Old 06-08-2012, 03:40 PM

766 posts, read 1,255,012 times
Am I reading this wrong. If we vote in favor of metro this November then the university line will be in operation before the 2025 date??? They need to get started on it now.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:22 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Doesn't surprise me,
I've been wondering for a long time why is it that where there's more taxpayers (city) usually you find the worse roads.

BTW, that's a big reason why everybody moves to the suburbs (where tax money is spent in infrastructure)
Did you look at their presentation? The summary is misleading. While "most" of the multi-cities got back more than they put in, as a whole they put in more than they received. $551 million to $359 million. See page 8.

The big winners were the small rich areas like Piney Point, Bunkers Hill, Hunters Creek. The bigger areas like Bellaire, Katy, and Humble put in far more than received.

Metro doesn't give tax money back out of the generosity of their heart but as part of a negotiated deal. These cities had a good legal basis to be removed from the whole thing since they are not recipients of Metro mass transit and are incorporated.

Go ahead and push for this referendum but be careful what you wish for. Places like Katy and Humble and Missouri City and Bellaire are cash cows, putting tons of tax money into Metro. Don't be surprised if they file lawsuits or get state legislature support to get them cut out of the deal entirely.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:35 AM

958 posts, read 2,575,141 times
At this moment I'm neither for or against this proposal, but my gut instinct is to vote against this.

This feels like what California did a few years back, not transferring tax dollars from local governments as required by law to bridge state budget gaps and to maintain their high spending levels.

These developments generally will benefit those who live inside the loop and have limited traffic reductions. Have you seen the cost of the new mixed development housing? Most middle income people cannot afford it as well as who would want to live in such cramp quarters and raise a family.

I don't.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:10 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,151,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorprey View Post
At this moment I'm neither for or against this proposal, but my gut instinct is to vote against this.

This feels like what California did a few years back, not transferring tax dollars from local governments as required by law to bridge state budget gaps and to maintain their high spending levels.

These developments generally will benefit those who live inside the loop and have limited traffic reductions. Have you seen the cost of the new mixed development housing? Most middle income people cannot afford it as well as who would want to live in such cramp quarters and raise a family.

I don't.
Then stay in the brubs , the problem is that Houston population is slated to keep growing which means more cars on the highways, the price of gas will continue to ride , hell they had a report that flat out stated in the chron, more and more people are moving back into the core sighting cost of living as one of the main reasons

Old 06-12-2012, 06:12 AM

958 posts, read 2,575,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
Then stay in the brubs , the problem is that Houston population is slated to keep growing which means more cars on the highways, the price of gas will continue to ride , hell they had a report that flat out stated in the chron, more and more people are moving back into the core sighting cost of living as one of the main reasons
For your information I do not live in the burbs, but just about a block from 610. Infact in the future the metro rail has a stop 1/2 a mile from where I live.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:42 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,452,432 times
Here is to hoping that the vote goes in the favor of Metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston