Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 10:26 AM

103 posts, read 181,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texsn95 View Post
I'd love to know which subdivision this is...

The only reason I won't tell is because I'd hate for new and potentially nicer neighbors to be turned off to the neighborhood (I know I would if I had read this post).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 10:29 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDFP View Post
Good to know the police are on top of things like that.
They are pretty fast.... when it comes to the "easy stuff"

Old 06-21-2012, 10:29 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,235,127 times
Random thoughts:

* What do the deed restrictions (or HOA covenants) say? Before we go further, we really need to know that.

* If it's not illegal, why did someone call the police?

* If it's not illegal, why did the police respond?

Once you have the answers, then have a polite face-to-face talk with your neighbor. Nothing confrontational, nothing heated. Just ask why and listen to the response. You can learn everything you need to know by listening.

Then you can come back here and update us.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:30 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Deed restrictions have nothing to do with it. Prior to buying the property you should have read the Covenants and Restrictions for this subdivision. If there are restrictions against parking on the street, they should be in there. If they are, you need to abide by them, and if they are not, then you have a valid complaint against your neighbor.

This is the precise reason why I refuse to buy a house with an HOA, it becomes a nazi-like organization after a while, and I have better things to do with my time than deal with that kind of mentality.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-21-2012, 10:40 AM

1. The deed restrictions to not expressly forbid parking on the street.

2. The deed restrictions do forbid "being a nuisance" to your neighbors, which I think they have defined in a number of ways including parking on the street.

3. Like I said, on my street alone, there are four cars regularly parked on the street. That has been true for the last four months as we have visited the neighborhood and house and got the house prepared..etc. Why were we targeted this way?

4. I am not sure I want to have a face to face talk with my neighbor. Just 10 minutes before the cops came to our house my partner was outside. She waved at the neighbor who turned up her nose and went inside without saying a word. Then the cops showed up. This lady has gone to an extreme length, I feel, to say to us "WE ARE ENEMIES!" For that reason, I don't want to have any conversations with her.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:42 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,873,925 times
You should have received a full copy of the deed restrictions from the title company when you signed the closing documents. Mine was literally a 300 page photocopied binder. And our restrictions do state that a car can not stay in one spot on the street for over 24 hours. I don't know if that is a law, or just the restrictions though. So if the neighbor saw it in the same spot for 2 days, they brought it up to you in a non confrontational manner by using the police. Excessive, IMO, but maybe they had bad experiences with others not receptive to their strict enforcement of the rules. I would therefore make sure the car is moved several feet every day, making it obvious that it was driven. Not much they can do about that if it is within the rules.

I know we have a rental family right in the front of our neighborhood, and they have left a jacked up 1980's primer grey 4x4 pickup in the street for several days at a time. Not very pretty in a $200K+ neighborhood where 90% of the people park in their driveways. Plus it is right at a curve so it is hard to see around and manuever if there is oncoming traffic. Now they are parking it in the driveway most of the time, so I bet the HOA let them know.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:49 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,873,925 times
And another thing, go to the HOA meetings! Let them know you will be involved, and would appreciate a little common courtesy and respect. Like was said, a letter would have sufficed. Ours sends out many letters every month on the weeds in the cracks, visible garbage cans/ cans left out for 2 days, oversized lawn ornaments, etc. I'll bet they probably know the cop, that is why they got personal service.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:06 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,970 times
congratulations, You've moved in to a HOA controlled Hood. You have given up all your rights. Even if there is no rule requiring you to park in your driveway, they will change the rules. You have no recourse, you must follow the deed restrictions or they could eventually take your home.

Good luck to you.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:20 AM

103 posts, read 136,273 times
All this talk about partner partner partner makes me wonder if your new neighbor has something against gays.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illủmiñatex View Post
All this talk about partner partner partner makes me wonder if your new neighbor has something against gays.

We are gay so that could be the problem...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: