Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 05:58 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times

Advertisements

Monster Mosquito has a great system, and you don't have to have that huge drum in your yard. Little box on the wall near an exterior faucet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 03:36 PM

105 posts, read 168,897 times
Cutter Backyard Bug Control 32 oz Ready-to-Spray Hose End Insect Repellent Concentrate - This works; be sure to spray your shrubs thats were they live. Should ponly have to sray every 6 weeks or so depending on the rain...

Old 07-09-2013, 03:53 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,365,492 times
I've posted here about my experiences several times with my houstonmosquitosystems.com misting system over the past year or so, and I still say that it's probably the best investment we've made in our home. Still works like a charm, killing every nasty pest that tries to make our eaves their nesting place. We noticed this year at the beginning of summer, the darn water flies/gnats (which were our biggest pest problem since we live on a water lot) really try to make our house their home. But as soon as we see a few swarming around in the middle of the day, they are completely gone that night after a misting. This was in April/May. June, July...there's nothing flying around.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:07 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,808,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirking79 View Post
Outstanding efforts for making this blog!! Your writers and your work are really appreciative.
On behalf of Houston we thank you for your strange and kind words.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,860 times
Default Pyrethrin and Pyrethroid Toxicity in Cats

Please note that pyrethrin and most especially potentiated derivatives in do pose a potential for toxicity in cats cats (see video below). I am a veterinarian and I can assure you that cats may suffer severe neurological symptoms and even death from concentrated pyrethrin exposure; usually the source is those cheap over the counter flea drops, especially in cases of misapplication of dog labelled product on cats, and so I do not know what risks may occur with misting systems (direct spray exposure or eating treated grass).

If you have outdoor cats and use such a misting system, at the very least do not choose the more potent derivatives such that tend to also end in "thrin" (permethrin is a bad one but others would likely pose a risk such as bifenthrin, allethrin, tetramethrin, cyfluthrin, cyhalothrin, cypermethrin, deltamethrin).

Also note that there are insect bystander effects that depending upon your degree of eco-friendliness may be a positive or negative consideration. In one study dragonflies did not seem to be overtly affected by spraying whereas smaller insects displayed significant kill rates. Different studies also have demonstrated varying degrees of toxicity of different pyrethrin derivatized compounds on butterflies and honeybees.

A video of an affected cat:
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz0-JukckgI[/url]

Links for feline toxicity:

[url]http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/pyrethrin/]Pyrethrin and Pyrethroid Poisoning in Dogs and Cats[/url]

[url]http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/neurological/c_ct_pyrethrin_pyrethroid_toxicity]Flea and Tick Medicine Poisoning in Cats | petMD[/url]

Links on insect bystander toxicity:

[url]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17939516]Nontarget effects of the mosquito ad... [J Am Mosq Control Assoc. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI[/url]

[url=http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23086150]Combined pesticide exposure severely affects individu... [Nature. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI[/url]

[url=http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21309017]Use of butterflies as nontarget insect ... [Environ Toxicol Chem. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI[/url]

Last edited by elnina; 04-28-2014 at 09:28 AM..

Old 04-28-2014, 07:13 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times
Take a plastic soda bottle, cut the top off. Put one cup of brown sugar, 3 cups of water and a yeast package in the bottom, turn the upper part over and put it into the bottle. Duct tape it together, blacking out the bottom. Fermenting yeast and sugar mix will attract flies and Mosquitos (CO2), go into the bottle, can't get back out.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:12 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
By far, the most efficient and cost effective way to reduce mosquitoes is to eliminate standing water.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:27 AM

61,721 posts, read 87,123,005 times
I simply don't believe that there is a single useful method to fight those bloody beasts

Old 04-28-2014, 09:32 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,808,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I simply don't believe that there is a single useful method to fight those bloody beasts
Stand next to me and they'll leave you alone. Mosquitoes LOVE me.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:55 AM
bu2

24,104 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Reminds me of an episode of that 70s Show. Instead of Rock, Paper, Scissors, they were playing Cockroach, foot, nuclear bomb.

Unlike the cockroaches, however, I don't think mosquitos would survive a nuclear bomb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston