Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 12:45 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,945,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhanddavy View Post
This crap has been blown so out of proportion. I don't understand how people can vest so must of their time with such trivial matters.
Chick-Fil-A Faced 12 Employment Discrimination Suits Since 1988 « Alan Colmes' Liberaland

Quote:
A 2002 suit involved “Aziz Latif, a former Chick-fil-A restaurant manager in Houston [who] sued the company in 2002 after Latif, a Muslim, says he was fired a day after he didn’t participate in a group prayer to Jesus Christ at a company training program in 2000. The suit was settled on undisclosed terms.”

And the company holds prayer meetings, voluntary of course: ”Company meetings and retreats include prayers, and the company encourages franchisees to market their restaurants through church groups. Howe Rice, a franchisee in Glen Allen, Va., hosts a Bible study group in one of his two Chick-fil-A restaurants every Tuesday.”
Jim Henson's company pulled out of a toy agreement with them as well.

Funny flyer and hoax, but still, do you think that they will hire anyone who admits to not having their values or give a franchise to anyone who is non-Christian/

Chick-Fil-A Foundation Behind Chick-Fil-A Employment Flyers Hoax | NowPublic News Coverage

Old 07-26-2012, 12:54 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,057,643 times
It has something to do with houston because we have Chick-fil-a's here.

The city of Chicago can't ban a person who is seen as a religious/political leader by some - re: the Farrakhan post. Can houston ban the next giant Christian revival summit at Reliant?

Regarding an earlier post about having to ban all companies from your life because they represent abhorrent values yeah basically you would have to live off the grid that is how bad it is. Many many companies in this country have pretty gross histories. Coke creating Fanta so they can skirt US laws and make money in Nazi Germany, Ford being founded on horrific antisemitism, Chick-fil-a donating money to causes like Exodus Int and Focus on the Family who usurp our right to freedom from religion's influence in our governance and laws, Nike's slave labor overseas on the premise hey these people are poor so the few pennies we give them per manufactured product they better be d**n appreciative of, Shell arguably being responsible for the Nigerian government hanging a woman who spoke out about the environmental impact their refineries were making in her country, Dow Chemical and Monsanto being responsible for the thousands of North Vietnamese children being born with horrific birth defects today and the US Vietnam soldiers suffering with cancer because of Agent Orange (which Dow and Monstanto have never acknowledged)

Yeah I don't buy Round-Up because I don't like the company that makes it. The silver lining is there are some companies out there that don't have a history that borders on being evil. Your other option is to opt out entirely which actually is possible in some ways. I know that idea is way far out left field for the average person. But I still think it is interesting and important for people to know how companies are run and what they do. You still have the right to say and do whatever you wish as do the people that choose to voice their dislike

The idea that I, as an individual, have the opportunity to have my voice heard via the dollar I spend and have, although potentially very limited, an influence on this country politically still makes my tummy tingle. Gives me the same kind of feeling that voting does

Last edited by testmo; 07-26-2012 at 01:07 PM..

Old 07-26-2012, 01:41 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,129,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
I guess I just can't put my mind around it, but I have a hard time understanding how people equate the push for gay rights as the "PC movement." Were the rights for black people and native Americans a PC push? Or if this different because it is a religious argument?

How is pushing for more freedom and equality killing America? I'd say the hate, the caustic tone our elected politicians have for each other and their own people is what is killing us. But that is a whole other argument

You have the right to your opinion and your own actions. People who will no longer eat at Chick-fil-a have their right. You should be supportive of them having that right, because if they lose it you may be next
Can't rep you again (as usual) but if I could...+100000000

Old 07-26-2012, 02:24 PM

312 posts, read 798,650 times
I am a "de-converted" former Christian, who has eaten at Chick-fil-A in 3-4 different cities, including Houston, and may do so again, but I'm going to stay out of there for at least the rest of the summer, as part of my own private protest against Mr. Cathy's remarks. Christians do have the right to own and operate businesses in this country, and they do have a right to free speech, but the public also has a right to vote with their wallets when companies act in ways they do not approve of.

I am generally supportive of LGBT rights and was frankly disturbed - but absolutely NOT shocked or surprised - by Chick-fil-A's stance on this issue.

I'll just refrain from buying their biscuits and lemonade for a month. Not forever, but just enough to send a message. And I'm sure for every person who boycotts Chick-fil-A, there will be another person who will redouble their support.

I also agree that we cannot avoid all companies because we disagree with their policies. If I completely refused to work in the oil and gas sector because of their environmental and political stances, I would not be able to live in Houston.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:27 PM

18,137 posts, read 25,321,890 times
Just wondering,
Is Chick-fil-A a tax exempt organization just like Pat Robertson's TV network?

Old 07-26-2012, 02:29 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,997,058 times
I do think it's pretty apples to oranges to compare blacks and NA's to gay marriage. Yeah yeah born this way and all that jazz but there's been plenty of gay people who choose to ignore it. Rock Hudson got married once. Those who get married, have kids then later go I'm gay. You can chose to not live that lifestyle regardless of what urges or whatever tells you you should because it's embedded in your DNA. Just simply date men or women knowing your preferences tell you you should be with your own sex.

I can't do that. I can't choose not to be black. I can't wake up one day and step outside of being brown It's not something I can EVER ignore. There's a difference. You can ignore what's ingrained in you. Michael Jackson tried but had those kids actually been biologically his they would show that he's still a black man.

I just go to Chick-fil-a for their salads.

But you cannot tell me that Chick-fil-a has BAR NONE the most friendly employees ever. They obviously pay them more than $7 an hour because those people are Mormon, Leave it To Beaver friendly and grinny and it never feels fake.

"Hello how are you?" What can I get for you today? Actually said without a dry, gums smacking, I don't really give a how you're doing but it's part of the company line to say it drawl?

Old 07-26-2012, 02:35 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,442,407 times
Most people, maybe the vast majority, live their lives somewhere in the middle of the spectrum, and shake their head and wonder why "some people" get so up in arms about seemingly trivial subjects. But you know the whole "walk a mile in someone else's shoes" thing? It's not a liberal conspiracy to make us feel sorry for everyone else. It's good because it helps us to see that life exists outside of our tribe, our community, and that those lives have the same value, they have just been created differently or given different opportunities.

In this case, put yourselves in the position of someone who doesn't have many of the same rights (and responsibilities) that you do. Think about the impact of such differences on you, your family, your relationships. What stresses would it add? What message would you take from it? Would it make your life more challenging than it already is? More expensive (e.g., additional legal hoops to jump through)?

This is why some people get riled up when they see blatant discrimination. It's not that these people won't be served a meal (though to this day that does happen in this country), but that they send money to organzations that do real harm. It just happens that those organzations don't affect the majority of people in an obvious way, mainly it affects "those people" directly and all Americans indirectly by undermining the cohesiveness and morale of the country as a whole. Organzations that make money, and oftentimes make themselves very rich, by telling lies and half-truths. If those lies and half-truths were about you or your family, you might get riled up as well.

Some of the replies I read here remind me of things that my mom and dad would have said when I was a kid. The desire to be as politically incorrect (as they would call it) as possible ran very deep with them, as I think it does with most Americans. But having two gay kids (and one of them with a child of their own whose legal protections don't just happen naturally) has changed them. They have walked a mile in someone else's shoes, and they are the better for it.

We'd all be better for it if it happened more often.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:37 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,803,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glossa View Post
Same here. I'm off to get lunch there. And again on August 1.

What happens on Aug 1?

Old 07-26-2012, 02:41 PM

766 posts, read 1,255,687 times
I will never eat at CFA ever AGAIN. They lost a customer.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:43 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,964,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
I will never eat at CFA ever AGAIN. They lost a customer.
I'll inform the cow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston