Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 04:55 PM

18 posts, read 28,656 times

Advertisements

I find this forum really helpful! Sincere thanks everyone who responded! I think I will try Sugar Land. Ticks almost all boxes except the commute. Guess I will get used to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 11:03 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,767 times
I think you've already settled on Sugar land. I would STAY settled on Sugar Land. Very easy commute to downtown by your own car if you leave before 6:30 or so. Awful however after that. A way around that is to drive only to the Belfort Park and Ride on the 59 Southwest Freeway into downtown Houston. Nice aircraft-type seats with plent of legroom and they recline. I sleep the whole way in when I use it!

Also, from a cultural point of view, you may be totally Anglicized Indian so it doesn't matter but SL has a large Indian population of energy and tech professionals, I'd guess 10-20% of total pop. and 30% in the schools (white Americans don't have kids anymore! :-) ). Also, there is a huge, ornate Hindu Temple (BAPS temple of Swamiaryan sp?) that I think is one of the 7 Wonders of Texas (they are welcoming to the Gringo's too).

BAB's Temple:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbtrey/4033713344/

There is also another great neighborhood for those from the sub-continent centered around Hillcroft Rd between Westheimer and the 59 freeway just 10-15 minutes in towards downtown from SL. I wouldn't live there (lots of sketchy apartment complexes) but it's a great commercial district of clothing stores, restaurants, and specialty food shoppes.

All in all the southwest side of town (SL side) will feel most like multi-culti London. Woodlands is very nice and also has a luxury bus service into downtown but not nearly as interesting.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:22 AM

Thanks bamba_boy!

Great temple! Will definitely pay a visit no matter where I end up.

BtB, I am a Christian - just to point out that all Indians are not necessarily Hindus. We get along very well though! (apart form a few retards and crooks)

Old 08-09-2012, 03:40 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,767 times
Good point, that's why I said having a Hindu Temple nearby might not matter to you. As a matter of fact, I'm currently working a project in the Middle East where the majority of the engineers and scientists are Indian. My current group has Hindu's, Moslems (from India too, not Pakistan, not everybody moved during the partition), and a suprising number of Christians - both Roman Catholic Protestant from the Portuguese colonization going back to the 1500's to more recent evangelical Protestant converts. Many people from Goa State (an overseas possession of Portugal until the 1990s),South India, and Sri Lanka have Portuguese names and are Catholic. A lot of Americans don't realize that India is a true democracy with freedom of religion and the people are taking advantage in that great big melting pot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thayyil View Post
Thanks bamba_boy!

Great temple! Will definitely pay a visit no matter where I end up.

BtB, I am a Christian - just to point out that all Indians are not necessarily Hindus. We get along very well though! (apart form a few retards and crooks)

Old 08-09-2012, 06:41 AM

Impressive!

Not just because of the Portuguese landed in AD1493 to trade in spices, but also due to St Thomas's visit in AD52. The oldest Christian families date back to the first century.

Now you name a Christian denomination, we have it out there; so much so that I am kind of rediscovering my own faith!

Coming back to the main topic, Sugar Land does tick a lot of boxes for me. One more query. if I use a motorbike rather than a car to commute, does that make any significant difference in the commuting time? Is it common to do so?

Old 08-09-2012, 09:16 AM

613 posts, read 1,002,371 times
On the motorbike, depends on whether you want to ride legally or break the law. Legally, you are the same as a car. So, no time saving plus you are choking on fumes in traffic while it is 95 degrees and humid out.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:43 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,738,039 times
I think you can ride in HOV lanes on a motorbike which should save you time, someone correct me if I am wrong.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:46 AM

567 posts, read 1,622,675 times
Yes on HOV lanes - you can ride a motorcycle there.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:12 PM

Thanks guys! But no idea what is an HOV line and how much time will that save me approximately.
I know that after 6 30am it could take an hour or so from Sugar Land to Downtown by car. How long will it take me from Sugar Land to Downtown (approximately), if I ride a bike (1000cc sports bike, but even if I ride a smaller bike, the speed will be the same due to legal speed limits)

Old 08-09-2012, 04:44 PM

312 posts, read 798,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thayyil View Post
Thanks guys! But no idea what is an HOV line and how much time will that save me approximately.
I know that after 6 30am it could take an hour or so from Sugar Land to Downtown by car. How long will it take me from Sugar Land to Downtown (approximately), if I ride a bike (1000cc sports bike, but even if I ride a smaller bike, the speed will be the same due to legal speed limits)
"HOV lane" (HOV stands for "high occupancy vehicle") is a dedicated travel lane on the freeway for 2 or more passengers, for the purpose of commuting with far less traffic. The public bus system here, METRO, operates these lanes on behalf of the highway authority, and run many commuter buses in these lanes.

Some of these lanes are ONLY open during morning and evening commute times (although they are converting them to all-day use if you pay a toll). The entrances and exits are restricted and the lane is separated from the main freeway lanes by a concrete barrier.

I think I may have seen some motorcycles in these lanes but their use might be prohibited, do check before you attempt to do so.

Very NICE way to save a few minutes on the daily commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston