Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 09:13 AM

164 posts, read 330,105 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.

My brother and I will be making a trip to Houston in October for a Texans game. Niether of us has been to Relient for an NFL and have really been to Houston either.

We will be staying two nights, Saturday and Sunday. The game is on Sunday Night.

Here are my main questions.

How is downtown Houston as far as going out at night and just waling around in general? We are more into the bar scene and not the club scene.. We are considering staying one night in Downtown then one night across the street from the Stadium. ; or should we stay two night across from the stadium and just transport downtown?

Second, we are looking for tickets up in the upper deck. Is every seat in Relient a good one, even upperdeck endzone or upperdeck corners?

Finally, are there some cool sports bars right near relient?

I believe that is all for now.

P.S. If it helps, we will be traveling to support the opposing team, the Packers.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 09:15 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,937,594 times
Stay downtown both days and take the train to the game, unless you can get a parking pass. Bar scene is better in Midtown and Washington Avenue than by Reliant. Both are a $5 cab ride from downtown.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:28 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,178,143 times
There's not a bad seat in the house in Reliant, in my opinion.

Ronnie

Old 08-08-2012, 11:08 AM

391 posts, read 923,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator24765 View Post
Hello everyone.

My brother and I will be making a trip to Houston in October for a Texans game. Niether of us has been to Relient for an NFL and have really been to Houston either.

We will be staying two nights, Saturday and Sunday. The game is on Sunday Night.

Here are my main questions.

How is downtown Houston as far as going out at night and just waling around in general? We are more into the bar scene and not the club scene.. We are considering staying one night in Downtown then one night across the street from the Stadium. ; or should we stay two night across from the stadium and just transport downtown?

Second, we are looking for tickets up in the upper deck. Is every seat in Relient a good one, even upperdeck endzone or upperdeck corners?

Finally, are there some cool sports bars right near relient?

I believe that is all for now.

P.S. If it helps, we will be traveling to support the opposing team, the Packers.

Thanks!
I will agree with the other post, stay in downtown Houston. Downtown has some bars and clubs, but the good ones are in midtown. Depending on what area of downtown you get a hotel at, midtown really is in walking distance. I generally walk all over midtown and montrose bar hopping. Washington Ave is great and pretty close to downtown (taking a cab is a good idea).

Reliant Stadium is awesome, excellent football stadium! I have sat all over that place and everywhere seems to be excellent! You can take the light rail from downtown (goes through the museum district, Texas Medical Center and midtown as well). There are plenty of things to do all up and down the rails on Saturday to keep you fully busy and entertained.

P.S. GO TEXANS!!

Old 08-08-2012, 11:12 AM

Thanks for the responses.

Now since I am not to familiar with the downtown houston area, what area would be best to stay? Some place ideal where we can just walk from the hotel and be at bars and restaurants etc.

Any names of hotels in the area would be ideal to.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:08 AM

342 posts, read 803,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator24765 View Post
Thanks for the responses.
Now since I am not to familiar with the downtown houston area, what area would be best to stay? Some place ideal where we can just walk from the hotel and be at bars and restaurants etc.

Any names of hotels in the area would be ideal to.

Anything inside downtown should be good with Hilton, Four Seasons and Embassy for prices around $150 and Crowne, or Hyatt around $100. The area to avoid is near Minute Maid Park because it is very close to a homeless shelter, but it is also close to a Houston Police outlet at George R Brown, so it is still safe. The area of downtown is surrounded by HPD, so any emergencies they'll be there within minutes ask Adrian Peterson. If your a Texans fan, we have a great tailgate (was ranked 1st at one time) in the parking lot, it is much safer than before when you don't need tickets to the game to go to the parking lot, it was causing a lot of fights. Do go there early to the game because there is a lot of hype going to this season.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:48 AM

First glance I was looking at the Hyatt Regency for at least Saturday night because of its solid price point.

Is this in a decent area?

Old 08-09-2012, 11:51 AM

725 posts, read 1,241,575 times
Yes, the Hyatt Regency is very nice, and in a good area.

Just be warned, the downtown bar scene is a little scant. Your best bet if you're at the Regency would be to take a 3-5 minute cab ride across the freeway into midtown and hit the bars there. Or even better, take a 5-7 minute cab ride to Washington Ave to the north. Neither is what I would call walking distance, but midtown's about 1-2 miles and Washington 3-5 away from the Regency.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:28 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,772,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyAusmus View Post
I will agree with the other post, stay in downtown Houston. Downtown has some bars and clubs, but the good ones are in midtown. Depending on what area of downtown you get a hotel at, midtown really is in walking distance. I generally walk all over midtown and montrose bar hopping. Washington Ave is great and pretty close to downtown (taking a cab is a good idea).

Reliant Stadium is awesome, excellent football stadium! I have sat all over that place and everywhere seems to be excellent! You can take the light rail from downtown (goes through the museum district, Texas Medical Center and midtown as well). There are plenty of things to do all up and down the rails on Saturday to keep you fully busy and entertained.

P.S. GO TEXANS!!
Wait a minute. This sounds like fun. I wasn't told about this. I thought Houston was boring?

Old 08-09-2012, 12:52 PM

725 posts, read 1,241,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
Wait a minute. This sounds like fun. I wasn't told about this. I thought Houston was boring?
LOL Houston is ONLY boring if you don't have an in. I've never had anyone visit and not have a good time, because I know where to take them!

I can imagine those with no idea where to go or what to do could find it boring.

And by the way to the OP, Reliant is probably the best place I've ever seen a football game, NFL or otherwise. That stadium offers amazing sight lines. I've been to 5 or 6 games there and never had a bad seat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston