Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2007, 08:49 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,582,052 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I live in a community with an HOA, which I prefer, at least they're supposed to ensure that the community doesn't become a dump, right?

Anyway, needless to say, I am less than satisfied. There are 5 Board members, 2 of which don't even live in the community, but unfortunately there is nothing in the by-laws that state you have to - go figure. Seems that the Pres/VP (one of which is the non community resident) pretty much run the show while the other 3 sit idle as yes men/women. In addition, I don't see where all the assessment money is being spent, since there's not a whole lot of common areas to deal with, but that's another story. So I've attended several meetings and I am usually the only homeowner there - after my first one I thought about never going back, because every suggestion I made or comment, seemed like I received the cold shoulder. Which leads me to believe that all other homeowners probably received the same treatment and just don't bother. I didn't let it deter me, it just made me pursue even more, just to **** them off and let them know, I wasn't going anywhere.

So anyway, they don't do anything. We've got a few properties that make the whole neighborhood look bad - deed restriction violations out the butt - they claim to send letters but nothing ever gets resolved and these nuisances still remain in violation after 6 months. You have one home vacant where the grass was nearly to the roof - I questioned the HOA about it and they were like health dept. I'm like we pay a landscaping company to care for the common areas, you need to instruct them to force mow before it even reaches that ridiculous height. I'm like, take a picture when it's obviously overgrown, report it to the health dept. and have the company force mow so as to not reduce the look of the community. Well after me b*tching for a month, they finally force mowed, with reluctance. The next door neighbor on that block has now decided that he'll mow the vacant property regularly when he does his yard work, but he too was disappointed in the HOA.

So, our Annual meeting is coming up and I want to run for one of the positions (Pres or VP). I've notified the management company to put my name on the ballot and they agreed. I made up a flyer for all the residents and planned to take them/hand deliver and speak to the homeowners that I do not know. My concern is - how do you ensure that the voting is fair and does anyone else have any recommendations that might help me get on the Board?

Sorry for being so long winded but I'm not a very good writer nor am I good a summarizing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 10:03 PM

I find it hard to believe that no one on this board has any comments/suggestions regarding homeowners associations?

Old 10-03-2007, 10:26 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,121,977 times
hey I wish you were my neighbor.
I am waiting on our builder to transfer the HOA responsibilities to a management company so I have no experience on them yet.
anyway, do you have a "yahoo group" email list for your community? this is obviously the best way to have some 'discussion' with todays lifestyle. its convenient to participate. this is also probably the best way to show leadership, appreciation, friendliness etc etc
btw, whats the worse an HOA can do to violators?

Old 10-03-2007, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
hey I wish you were my neighbor.
I am waiting on our builder to transfer the HOA responsibilities to a management company so I have no experience on them yet.
anyway, do you have a "yahoo group" email list for your community? this is obviously the best way to have some 'discussion' with todays lifestyle. its convenient to participate. this is also probably the best way to show leadership, appreciation, friendliness etc etc
btw, whats the worse an HOA can do to violators?
I almost felt IGNORED

The worst thing that an HOA can do is foreclose on your property for unpaid assessments, is my understanding. I hear that prior to my moving to Texas that they could foreclose for deed restriction violations, however there were new laws enacted to reduce the powers of the HOA's because some were overzealous and getting out of hand

Old 10-04-2007, 07:33 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
I doubt that they can foreclose, but likely damn sure that they can lien. Read the HOA charter, it lays everything out, or it should. Also shows how board members are elected and how votes are counted etc.

Liens are more useful anyways. Once a lien is in place you can't dispose of the property until the lien is discharged. (paid) No bank will finance a liened home. Sort of like what the bank puts on your new car when you purchase it. You can sell it, just so long as the lien is paid first.

I'm moving to Houston at the end of the month, and would love to have a pro-active HOA. (although it is a fine line between pro-active and facist)

Mike

Old 12-19-2007, 04:29 PM

22 posts, read 83,299 times
Hi I know, I am a little late....but the some of the things are very common, residents are complacent whether they are purposely discouraged...but, you have to knock on doors and speak with your neighours. You are all joined by the hip bone of money and community living. You should encourage them to come together for change and improvement, spell it out, what needs to be changed, ask for their input and start a small group of people who will work with you to get the changes. Go to the meetings, write letters, speak out, be the thorn in their sides...do not let them shut you up by their response or lack of it......it is your money, and it is your home.
Do not give up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston