Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 12:20 PM

26 posts, read 61,990 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am trying to figure out if I should make the drive to San Marcos for some serious shopping or just go to the ones on 290. I realize the options are way more in San Marcos but is the price same as on the ones on 290?

Which one is cheaper?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 12:26 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
I have never gone in to the one on 290 but the San Marcos one has gotten less impressive to me over the last 15 years or so.

It used to be a lot better, but with all the extensions they have gotten more like a regular mall. It was definitely worth the drive back in the day, but unless you are looking for something in particular, it is not worth it at all. If you are going that way already, then definitely stop in, but I would not go there nowadays just for going there.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:29 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,174,639 times
San Marcos, hands down.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:19 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default I agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I have never gone in to the one on 290 but the San Marcos one has gotten less impressive to me over the last 15 years or so.

It used to be a lot better, but with all the extensions they have gotten more like a regular mall. It was definitely worth the drive back in the day, but unless you are looking for something in particular, it is not worth it at all. If you are going that way already, then definitely stop in, but I would not go there nowadays just for going there.
We used to go when it was not so "advertised", and a real outlet mall. As HtownLove said, it is now just a regular mall with sale prices, albeit, many options. With hotels built in the area, and all the restaurants, it is just part of suburban Austin really, not unlike the mall on 290.

So all things being equal, if you don't want to drive and just want to shop, then 290. I like to go into Austin, or Wimberly, so we head to San Marcos when the wife wants to shop a lot and we make a mini vacation out of it.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
We used to go when it was not so "advertised", and a real outlet mall. As HtownLove said, it is now just a regular mall with sale prices, albeit, many options. With hotels built in the area, and all the restaurants, it is just part of suburban Austin really, not unlike the mall on 290.

So all things being equal, if you don't want to drive and just want to shop, then 290. I like to go into Austin, or Wimberly, so we head to San Marcos when the wife wants to shop a lot and we make a mini vacation out of it.
I agree. I usually pop in because I go to Austin? SA and the places in between often. But to say I am gonna make a trip to San Marcos to shop... you better slap 'SS' on my forehead and place an 'A' in-front of it.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:40 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,966,228 times
It is worth the drive to go to San Marcos. I don't go for anything myself, but I am much more worn out when I have to go to San Marcos.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:04 PM

26 posts, read 61,990 times
I am still trying to figure out if San Marcos is CHEAPER or 290

Old 08-15-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands_guy View Post
I am still trying to figure out if San Marcos is CHEAPER or 290
my point in saying that it is like a regular mall means just that.

It is just like a mall with sales. It is no longer like it used to be.

Why would you go that far for things that are like any sale item here??

which is cheaper is besides the point. The savings are not worth the effort to drive to San Marcos anymore

Old 08-15-2012, 05:58 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Half the stuff in those outlet stores were made just for outlet stores. I decided a long time ago that shopping sales was as cost effective as outlet malls.

Now I used to think Reading was a tad different.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:24 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,663,212 times
I don't think they are cheaper in San Marcos. There are some stores in San Marcos that we don't have here, like the Pottery Barn outlet. I really like that store and got some amazing deals there. We took a trip there last summer and had a good time. For a once in a while trip kind of thing or for a specific store San Marcos is good. But we do have good outlets here in Houston already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston