Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 03:23 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,371,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
I've been to the woodlands plenty of times. Cynthia woods, the town center, other shops. The area is just one large WASP haven. Sure there is some diversity sprinkled about, but it is an overwhelming conglomerate of pure white conservative values. Hell when I went to see a concert at the pavillion, so many people were carrying the confederate flag it was ridiculous. There is nothing city like about the woodlands, its a suburb and can not compare to Houston in any shape or fashion.
You do realize that people come from all over for concerts. The pavilion is not exclusive to The Woodlands residents. I used to work there and every concert had specific groups of people attend. An example would be Cyndi Lauper where rainbow flags dominate. There are many other examples that I can give you if you don't get my drift.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 03:43 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,992,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
I've been to the woodlands plenty of times. Cynthia woods, the town center, other shops. The area is just one large WASP haven. Sure there is some diversity sprinkled about, but it is an overwhelming conglomerate of pure white conservative values. Hell when I went to see a concert at the pavillion, so many people were carrying the confederate flag it was ridiculous. There is nothing city like about the woodlands, its a suburb and can not compare to Houston in any shape or fashion.
Carrying the confederate flag? Really...? So many people? Really????

I see the redneck pickups with the flag sticker but never anyone carrying it. People don't even walk around carrying the American flag.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:49 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,966,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Carrying the confederate flag? Really...? So many people? Really????

I see the redneck pickups with the flag sticker but never anyone carrying it. People don't even walk around carrying the American flag.
It could have been a Skynard concert

Old 08-25-2012, 07:52 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,052,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
Honestly, how many of you people have been to the Woodlands? I don't care about perceptions. Do you honestly think a community of 100k composed of mostly very educated, very wealthy people, a lot of who are from NY and CA, do you really think they are even remotely close to extremist? Hell, I'll bet half of them aren't even Texan football fans. LOL. You have to let go of these stereo types. And making excuses that it's the perception is getting old. THIS is what bugs me about America. No one takes the time to actually get to know people anymore. It's all social media or putting people quickly into a box. Why don't you drive up to TW and have a beer with some of these people. Just chat them up for awhile. Ask them about their kids. Their jobs. Where they grew up. You would be shocked how normal the world is when you stop watching cable news.
woodlands isnt any more highly educated or wealthier than any other suburb, or large stretches of neighborhoods in the city of houston. there are transplants everywhere in houston. you can say the city votes blue and woodlands went red. yes that is polarizing and not every republican doesn't want a lesbian family as a neighbor, but if politics and the social values currently attached to certain politics matter to you than that kind of stuff... well, matters. this year is a big year for GLBT issues. it'll be interesting to see the voting breakdown for different areas of TX

Old 08-25-2012, 08:40 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Basically, the whole Houston attitude towards the GLBT community - you don't get a parade, we just accept who you are and don't make a fuss.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:45 PM

4,381 posts, read 4,625,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Basically, the whole Houston attitude towards the GLBT community - you don't get a parade, we just accept who you are and don't make a fuss.
Huh? Houston has a LGBT Parade every year,maybe I missed something.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:32 AM

766 posts, read 1,254,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
You do realize that people come from all over for concerts. The pavilion is not exclusive to The Woodlands residents. I used to work there and every concert had specific groups of people attend. An example would be Cyndi Lauper where rainbow flags dominate. There are many other examples that I can give you if you don't get my drift.
Point taken, ive just never seen so many confederate flags anywhere in Houston city limits which is why I was shocked.

also

The Woodlands is a "nice" area in the sense that everything is new and planned, but there's no denying its an overwhelmingly conservative the area regardless of transplants. Inner loop areas and neighborhoods just outside the loop are hotbeds of liberal idealogy, and are generally more neighborly/open minded which is why the OP will fit in better. That's not to say that the woodlands isn't a viable option since like others have said-- people dont really give a crap and keep to themselves in the suburbs. However, you will never see a gay person as a mayor of woodlands and conservative people generally wont go out of their way to make friends with a gay person so dont expect a warm neighborly environment like you would have in an area like the heights.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:16 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Huh? Houston has a LGBT Parade every year,maybe I missed something.
I wasn't being literal.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:12 AM

4,381 posts, read 4,625,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
I wasn't being literal.
My fault carry on, nothing to see here.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:20 PM

25 posts, read 59,750 times
Philopower... repeat after me,
"My name is Phil, I am an angry undereducated person."
"My name is Phil, I am a liberal which means I am not a racist hatemongering bone person."
"Though if you ask me about whites (WASP) and/or conservatives it may come across like that."
"My name is Phil, I am probably suffering from white guilt. Because after all being born white is a sin."

To the OP. You can live anywhere in Houston, TW, etc and be just fine. I'm a conservative white guy (those evil guys) and I have gay friends and laugh and have fun with them. Where I think most people draw the line is having homosexuality shoved down our throats. You are gay, fine, we don't need a constant reminder and posts asking where one can one segregate themselves. Commingle and be merry. Only time someone draws attention to themselves is when they do something worth other peoples time. Like getting into an accident during rush hour traffic, groan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston