Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 03:28 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,772,065 times

Advertisements

Private Firm Planning Bullet Trains in Texas by 2020 — Transportation | The Texas Tribune

I know this has been talked about endlessly but this article came out yesterday, so just wanted to post it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 08:19 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,830,745 times
I think this is interesting but my big question is this: Once you arrive in Houston or Dallas, then how are you supposed to get around? Neither city is known for fabulous mass transit.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:39 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,054,392 times
if it hooks up right into the DART you can get around some of the walkable areas of downtown dallas with bars and restaurants.

for houston it'd have to have enter into downtown which would then be an easy hop onto our light rail system which can take you to Herman park, the zoo, herman park. when the rail expansion happens it could take you into the museum district and bars/restaurants

business travelers wont have a problem. i'd imagine companies would have a car or someone to pick the person up at either end. i think it is cool.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:41 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,300,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I think this is interesting but my big question is this: Once you arrive in Houston or Dallas, then how are you supposed to get around? Neither city is known for fabulous mass transit.
Exactly,
the first thing we need to do is to have mass transit connecting IAH-Downtown-Hobby-Galveston.
After that, we can talk.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:54 PM

958 posts, read 2,574,920 times
This will be as successful as the Amtrak routes in the northeast.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:24 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,054,392 times
heres to hoping but no way will it be on the same caliber. there is nothing like being able to take a train for a few hours each leg and be able to do DC, NYC, and Boston. then of course the stuff in between. Texas just has so much more space

im hoping for the Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio loop! whenever this thing gets built (if not other tracks already link into it) all the other major cities will be busting to get their line in

Old 08-16-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
The short term solution would be to have a bunch of rental car agencies on site. Zip Car can establish a hub at the station and it wouldn't be hard to add some bus routes coming from the train station.

I keep reading about this big Texas Triangle that one day in the future will all be connected. It is so impractical to fly from Houston to Dallas or to Austin. A train would really expedite business between the cities and might actually create a tourism industry within the state of Texas.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:32 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,137,275 times
Quote:
Same problem if you fly. Guess this is thought to be a better solution for mid-distance travel. Too far to drive, too short to fly. If Houston and Dallas had Zipcar when arriving in either city, that might help.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Exactly,
the first thing we need to do is to have mass transit connecting IAH-Downtown-Hobby-Galveston.
After that, we can talk.

Here's the thing. While I agree it would be nice to do that, I'm not sure that would be terribly profitable. Basically it would not help anyone in the burbs get to the airport and let's face it, I don't know anyone who flys into IAH and then needs to get to Hobby to make a connecting flight on southwest airlines. Airport rail transit would only benefit a few people in the loop who need to get to IAH and don't want to pay for long term parking.

Most visitors who come to Houston are going to need a car. We've already established this since there is terrible transit service in the city. So taking a train from IAH into downtown is pointless if they are going to need to rent a car anyway. Now once we have comprehensive rail service all over the loop, then one can make the argument for airport rail into the city that would connect the light rail in the city.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:42 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,967,780 times
Quote:
ask yourself this, when they fly here how do they get around now?

you think continuing to have the limited options of flight or driving will improve the transit here? No. If a bullet train comes then options will be expanded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Exactly,
After that, we can talk.
why does that have to be done before you even talk? That is just silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
Here's the thing. While I agree it would be nice to do that, I'm not sure that would be terribly profitable. Basically it would not help anyone in the burbs get to the airport and let's face it, I don't know anyone who flys into IAH and then needs to get to Hobby to make a connecting flight on southwest airlines. Airport rail transit would only benefit a few people in the loop who need to get to IAH and don't want to pay for long term parking.

Most visitors who come to Houston are going to need a car. We've already established this since there is terrible transit service in the city. So taking a train from IAH into downtown is pointless if they are going to need to rent a car anyway. Now once we have comprehensive rail service all over the loop, then one can make the argument for airport rail into the city that would connect the light rail in the city.
we could have rails on every other street in the city, taking a car would still be easier and more convenient. proactive steps must be put in place to make driving less convenient or else Houston, Dallas and San Antonio are just going to stretch into each other. But then again they can't make driving less convenient and at the same time not improve PT.

That is why people here need to stop trying to jump the baby steps and go straight to running.

Last edited by HtownLove; 08-16-2012 at 10:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston