Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 02:03 PM

489 posts, read 621,664 times

Advertisements

Since it doesn't seem like you are getting many serious replies, I thought I would link a thread I started: //www.city-data.com/forum/houst...-run-away.html

We in the end, decided to go with the Lennar home. No other floor plan worked for us like that one did. It was also in the best neighborhood we could afford, adjacent to the Woodlands. And, even though some want to make fun of the EI thing, the truth was that in our price range (250 K), it gets discouraging when EVERY dang thing is an upgrade! The stair rails are an upgrade with some builders!!

Anyway, I got some encouraging response in the above three, and I hope it helps you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 05:27 PM

11 posts, read 28,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHomeschoolMom View Post
Since it doesn't seem like you are getting many serious replies, I thought I would link a thread I started: //www.city-data.com/forum/houst...-run-away.html

We in the end, decided to go with the Lennar home. No other floor plan worked for us like that one did. It was also in the best neighborhood we could afford, adjacent to the Woodlands. And, even though some want to make fun of the EI thing, the truth was that in our price range (250 K), it gets discouraging when EVERY dang thing is an upgrade! The stair rails are an upgrade with some builders!!

Anyway, I got some encouraging response in the above three, and I hope it helps you!
Thanks for the info. I have a co-worker that built Lennar a couple of years back and told me some horror stories about everyone on his block having the same type issues. Probably construction managers fault, but with all the negative comments that I have seen about Lennar, I don't know if we want to proceed with them.

We spoke with Highland homes who is in the 55' section of Lakes of Savannah, and took one of the models that they offer in Sedona, and added a few structural optioins and ended up with the majority of what we were going to get with Lennar, just on a little smaller lot and I have read a lot more positives about Highland Homes than negatives.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:37 AM

3 posts, read 11,903 times
Americans have been preconditioned from an early age that the name on the product is what you should pay for...not the quality underneath. I.e. Lexus or Toyota? The point I'm trying to make is both builders use wood and concrete in their construction..... How can one be better than the other? A little logic goes a long way.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:19 AM

340 posts, read 803,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1971 View Post
Americans have been preconditioned from an early age that the name on the product is what you should pay for...not the quality underneath. I.e. Lexus or Toyota? The point I'm trying to make is both builders use wood and concrete in their construction..... How can one be better than the other? A little logic goes a long way.

There is a HUGE importance on how you pour and build that concrete and wood also, kind of a big deal...

Old 09-07-2012, 07:27 AM

11 posts, read 28,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1971 View Post

Well I build power substations for a living, and all our rivals use the same materials that we use to build them, however the engineering effort, design, attention to detail, quality of construction sets us apart from many others in the industry and we get work all over the country because of it. So, it may just be concrete and wood, but the way it is constucted has a lot of bearing on the durability and sustainability of the final product. So name does matter especially if quality and customer care is associated with the name.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:18 PM

1 posts, read 3,261 times
Have a Lennar Home in Lakes of Savannah, their largest floorplan as of 4 years ago. Overall quality is fine. However be advised that they use alot of fiberboard construction for their kitchen cabinets and baseboard moulding. It looks fine and with oil based paint and caulk, it has held up well with the occasional mopping. The one compalint is in the kitchen where the corner round used around the cabinets is covered with a brown , I guess some type of dark wood grained vinyl covering that when wet peels of the corner rounds. Afterr two years it was looking bad so just pulled them all up, bought real wood cornerrounds and painted them the same. Now can mop without worying about stripping the cover off the suckers. The cabinets, though not built out of solid wood is of a good quality fiber build with a very durable and pretty woodlayered cherry colored veneer that is again not a wood product but you would be hard pressed to guess it wasnt without a thorough looking over. At a casual look , it passes the muster. Standard carpet they put in is very cheap. Get the upgraded carpet or better yet, go all wood flooring, either the laminate or the real stuff. THey both look great and will add value. Have no cracks, no nail pops, no leaking faucets, toilets etc after 4 years. The applicances they put in looked great, all stainless steel, but after two years built in microwave died. 300 to replace. Refrigerator has had ice unit replaced 4x in 4 years and now the compressor is going. Making loud humming noise when running. Dishwasher has rust on different parts of the racks, failry large amount. Cleans terribly. THeir GE selection sucks. I would negotiate your own appliances and go with LG or any other than what they offer. Just buy what consumner report suggests and you should be fine. All in all though, for the price we paid for our 3400 ft home, three car garage, I can't complain. If you went with another builder who didnt give you all the perks, you could easily add another 10 to 15 grand to sod your yard, put uop window coverings, sprinkler system, alarm system, and appliance including washer and dryer. Same goes for an automated garage opener. Those were all not part of the price at one builder here when we looked. Hope this helps

Old 12-04-2012, 11:41 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,219,218 times
we got better quality for a 30K, 4-bedroom home in the 70s...

Old 12-05-2012, 12:45 PM

489 posts, read 621,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTEtheridge View Post
Have a Lennar Home in Lakes of Savannah, their largest floorplan as of 4 years ago. Overall quality is fine. However be advised that they use alot of fiberboard construction for their kitchen cabinets and baseboard moulding. It looks fine and with oil based paint and caulk, it has held up well with the occasional mopping. The one compalint is in the kitchen where the corner round used around the cabinets is covered with a brown , I guess some type of dark wood grained vinyl covering that when wet peels of the corner rounds. Afterr two years it was looking bad so just pulled them all up, bought real wood cornerrounds and painted them the same. Now can mop without worying about stripping the cover off the suckers. The cabinets, though not built out of solid wood is of a good quality fiber build with a very durable and pretty woodlayered cherry colored veneer that is again not a wood product but you would be hard pressed to guess it wasnt without a thorough looking over. At a casual look , it passes the muster. Standard carpet they put in is very cheap. Get the upgraded carpet or better yet, go all wood flooring, either the laminate or the real stuff. THey both look great and will add value. Have no cracks, no nail pops, no leaking faucets, toilets etc after 4 years. The applicances they put in looked great, all stainless steel, but after two years built in microwave died. 300 to replace. Refrigerator has had ice unit replaced 4x in 4 years and now the compressor is going. Making loud humming noise when running. Dishwasher has rust on different parts of the racks, failry large amount. Cleans terribly. THeir GE selection sucks. I would negotiate your own appliances and go with LG or any other than what they offer. Just buy what consumner report suggests and you should be fine. All in all though, for the price we paid for our 3400 ft home, three car garage, I can't complain. If you went with another builder who didnt give you all the perks, you could easily add another 10 to 15 grand to sod your yard, put uop window coverings, sprinkler system, alarm system, and appliance including washer and dryer. Same goes for an automated garage opener. Those were all not part of the price at one builder here when we looked. Hope this helps

Hmmmm, this is a bit concerning, as we are waiting to close on our Lennar home. We went with the upgraded GE package. I am sure hoping we don't have to re- buy all our appliances after just a few years! Did your appliances come with warranties, or were you out all that money on the new appliances?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston