Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 02:26 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo-mama View Post
...take it with a grain of salt...
That's all you can ever do with the City Data Forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 11:24 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,046 times
Quote:
I may find myself as the minority in this and if so I apologize to anyone I may make mad.

I currently live in Knoxville, TN and am hopefully moving to Katy by next Summer. I am amazed at the continual whining of a lot of the people on this forum. I find myself excited at the prospect of moving to where so many seem to loathe and would gladly live anywhere else in the world than there. I know every city has it's issues and maybe every forum on here has their fair share of nay sayers and Debbie Downers. Maybe it is just that the whiners have a louder voice than those that are complimentary or maybe those that are happy with the city don't find the need to make posts on forums such as this.

I will continue to stay enthusiastic on our hopeful move and continue to discount most of the complaining and take it with a grain of salt. I do hope that most of you can find the silver lining and at the end of the day do realize that you live in one of the most amazing cities in the most amazing country in the world.
Katy is not one of the most amazing cities in the world....

Old 09-14-2012, 11:09 AM

687 posts, read 2,128,618 times
We're overrun by squashes, eggplants, papayas, basil ... Houston weather works for year-round gardening. We've got arugula, bell peppers, tomatoes out the wazoo. Not to mention close to year-round running, swimming, biking, soccer, tennis, whatever sport you like.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:45 PM

391 posts, read 922,911 times
Quote:
I may find myself as the minority in this and if so I apologize to anyone I may make mad.

I currently live in Knoxville, TN and am hopefully moving to Katy by next Summer. I am amazed at the continual whining of a lot of the people on this forum. I find myself excited at the prospect of moving to where so many seem to loathe and would gladly live anywhere else in the world than there. I know every city has it's issues and maybe every forum on here has their fair share of nay sayers and Debbie Downers. Maybe it is just that the whiners have a louder voice than those that are complimentary or maybe those that are happy with the city don't find the need to make posts on forums such as this.

I will continue to stay enthusiastic on our hopeful move and continue to discount most of the complaining and take it with a grain of salt. I do hope that most of you can find the silver lining and at the end of the day do realize that you live in one of the most amazing cities in the most amazing country in the world.
Man I totally agree with you!!! Most people on here either don't like living in Houston or think where they came from is so much better. I can't understand why they STILL live here when no one is holding a gun to their head to force them to stay here. The reason so many of them are here in the first place is that there were no jobs left where they came from. Yeah, Houston's weather may not be the greatest and our traffic is slower than dripping molassas, but I love this city and have ZERO plans on ever leaving.

If you are looking to move here, it really is a fantastic city no matter what the nay sayers and 'glass half empty' people have to say.

WELCOME TO HOUSTON!!

Old 09-21-2012, 11:39 AM

30 posts, read 43,973 times
I chose to move to Houston from NYC. As in, did an internal transfer and spent my life savings to uproot myself and move down here.

The negativity on this forum is just like anywhere else. Some people love where they live, and some hate it. Some are just more vocal about their opinions. Every city has pro's and con's. Every city has problems. Every city has crime.

The way Houston is portrayed sometimes frightened the CRAAAP out of me before I moved here (having visited just once before coming to find an apartment). Break ins, car theft, gangs, bugs, blah blah blah.

I got down here...and I could breathe (no smog). And it was quiet in my complex. (COMPLEX. as in GATES!) And the weather is lovely. (I moved here May 30th. Beginning of summer. I survived the summer...I love the heat and humidity, admittedly.) Do I see bugs? Yes. Even some I couldn't tell you what they are. I've seen geckos (lizards?) too!

The traffic sucks...ok...coming from Manhattan and northern NJ, this is nothing surprising. I chose to live close to work, so my commute is never really that terrible. People drive aggressively here...which is fine. Their trucks are a hell of a lot larger than my Mazda. Get some good music and r-e-l-a-x.

People here also don't live on top of each other in 400sq ft studios with half stoves on the 6th floor of a walk up building and pay $2500 a month to do so. (this is not an exaggeration AT ALL)

This is not the suburbs. You have to lock your doors! And not leave things in your car! You have to be INTELLIGENT. Again, this is a city.

The plethora of restaurants, bars, and shops really make Houston cool to me. Everyone here truly loves to have a good time! I'm way into the electronic music scene, and I have at least one concert every weekend to go to for the next few months...and tickets cost about a THIRD of what they do in New York. I can't complain about that.

My paychecks also look a lot nicer. I live alone in an apartment that is too big for me. I have my own car. I have a personal trainer. I get NO help whatsoever from my parents. At 24, I'd say life in Houston DOESN'T SUCK.

TL;DR: Houston ain't too shabby.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:07 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,966,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
I was listening to Roula and Ryan I want to say Friday morning maybe on my way to work but anyway they had people calling in to describe Houston in 3 words because Eric heard a guy in an airport describe Houston as hot, spread out and traffic jam or something like that.

After listening to that it really hit me. Transplants gush like Houston is the next thing to Jesus on earth more than most. Natives aren't so gunho on Houston. Some like it, some hate it, some are eh but the majority (yes I know fellow CDer you're going to post that you are a native and could kiss the hot ground o Houston because it's so freaking awesome) but like 70% of natives are either eh, I get paid well and my buck stretches like silly putty or it's nice to I really don't like it but it's a good place for money to stretch/raise a family.

Most natives aren't OMFG guises Houston is awesomeeeeeeeee! Like a lot of transplants. Could have just been the callers but everyone who loved it like heck said I've been here for insert years under 8. Even the hosts were like I love living in Houston but damn it's hot, sticky, construction everywhere. Houston can be great but there are times who something crappy overshadows it and you forget it can be somewhat decent.
I fall into this category. I like it but don't love it, and most people I know feel the same way. There are enough things in Houston to keep me fairly content, but the music scene and weather do frustrate me. however, it is easy to make friends in Houston and the taco trucks are great.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:05 PM

830 posts, read 1,728,968 times
Of course there's a lot of whining lately. It's summer! Give us a few months and we'll be ok.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:50 AM

65 posts, read 135,226 times
I think you may have hit the nail on the head 55degrees. I didn't think about it like that. I do thank everyone for seeing positive comments for once. I was starting to think that the Houston area had a good marketing department that had me ready to move there and CD was shining the light on what a rat hole it was. My wife and I are very excited and hope everything falls into place between now and next summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston