Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 06:10 PM

99 posts, read 171,066 times

Advertisements

HI,

I'd like to get some inputs and opinions from anyone!!
If I am working in downtown so where wouuld be the ideal place to live for a family of four. At the beginning would rent and buy later on. Budget wise would be $200K 3 bd at least. My kids would need a good school and I also need a public transportation to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 07:57 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Anywhere. Just pick a spoke to determine which suburb you want to live in.

The good thing about Downtown Houston is the accessibility. You have more transportation choices, whether it is Park and Ride with multiple buses direct to Downtown during rush hour and buses running all day to late evening or the freeway system which is designed around Downtown Houston.

I wish more employers were aware of this fact before locating in the boring suburbs! Lunch-time in the tunnel system is a whole different world with the hustle and bustle not found in the suburbs.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:16 PM

I'd like to live in good suburbs but not to far to downtown by public transportation. I don't know much about Houston except hearing that Katy, the woodlands, Hyde park and University place but are they accessible to downtown by public transportation.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:47 PM

568 posts, read 1,129,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEL123 View Post
I'd like to live in good suburbs but not to far to downtown by public transportation. I don't know much about Houston except hearing that Katy, the woodlands, Hyde park and University place but are they accessible to downtown by public transportation.
I would probably scratch the Woodlands off, just due to the commute.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:56 AM

659 posts, read 1,376,747 times
Uh, downtown?

Old 09-19-2012, 08:33 AM

Anyone else your inputs? how about bellair - river oaks - montorose - the heights ?
The reasons choosing closer place to live are less headache driving around since we are new and a good transition while adjusting and experiencing live in Houston.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:47 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,053,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEL123 View Post
Anyone else your inputs? how about bellair - river oaks - montorose - the heights ?
The reasons choosing closer place to live are less headache driving around since we are new and a good transition while adjusting and experiencing live in Houston.
You probably won't get into those neighborhoods on your budget. You might look at Willowbend, Westbury, Maplewood South. They are just beyond Bellaire, still close to the inner loop. There are buses but I would check the Metro site to get an idea of commute time. There's also a park and ride right at the loop near these neighborhoods; I would think a bus from there to downtown would be really quick.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:26 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,808,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
You probably won't get into those neighborhoods on your budget. You might look at Willowbend, Westbury, Maplewood South. They are just beyond Bellaire, still close to the inner loop. There are buses but I would check the Metro site to get an idea of commute time. There's also a park and ride right at the loop near these neighborhoods; I would think a bus from there to downtown would be really quick.
I agree. Just wondering whether you drive or not. There are some that may disagree but I think having a car will make living in Houston MUCH easier.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:31 AM

1,290 posts, read 5,437,829 times
My wife and I live in the Champions area near Spring/Klein (77379 on Houston Real estate, Houston homes, Houston Realtors: HAR.com). My wife works downtown and utilizes the metro Park and Ride system. Her total commute door to door is about 50 minutes. This area would allow you to purchase the kind of house that you are looking for in a great school system.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:39 AM

344 posts, read 1,250,858 times
Check out Kingwood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston