Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2012, 08:08 AM

175 posts, read 367,574 times

Advertisements

So we just moved into a house and we are in dire need of some art for the walls. I'm looking for some fairly medium to large pieces. I'm not partial to genre--landscape, abstract, etc., but I would prefer original artwork. I have seen that place in the mall that sells artwork by beginners, but haven't been that impressed. I'm looking for some recommendations on places I can go to buy relatively reasonably priced (up to $1000), reasonably good art. Anyone got a suggestion? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 10:14 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
High Fashion in Midtown has many pieces for sale

Old 10-13-2012, 10:42 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Go to Roundtop in the Spring, good local artists often set up there. Brenham as some good artists that are reasonable. LaNell Arndt Fine Art
Sometimes RobertsChina.com: Juliska | Villeroy & Boch | Vietri | Bernardaud | Royal Crown Derby Paperweights | Jan Barboglio | Gift Registry. Has resonable original art, and always has art glass.

Also, taking a really great photo, using photoshop to give it brushstroke effects or heighten colors, blow it up and have it put on a large canvas, is something I've done at our ranch. Original, personal and reasonable.

Also, amateur artists are on ebay. Great pottery as well that you can put on Container Store's floating shelves.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:08 AM

162 posts, read 554,285 times
can i ask what the purpose of having original art is, if you dont care about genre, etc? especially if you are spending upwards of 1000 dollars on a piece you dont have much of a connection or opinion about?

As far as where to buy, i always like to keep an eye for art openings, they have them at spring street studio / winter street studio often, and thats where a lot of artists have their studios that you can go preview their art and if anything strikes your fancy.
Heights Art studios is another place.

I recommend checking out an art studio type place, because you get to check out 20 or 30 artists at a time with different styles, etc. it gives you more of a variety

Old 10-13-2012, 11:29 AM

847 posts, read 1,752,213 times
Texas Contemporary Art Fair is next weekend...

Houston Presents the Texas Contemporary Art Fair | Our Cultural Connection - Home

Texas Contemporary | October 18-21, 2012

Old 10-13-2012, 01:16 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
I know when you move into a house that seems empty, it's human nature to want to be in a hurry to "fill it up". Why not take your time and get art that you really like? Hit the above art fair listed - go to the Bayou City Art Festival this weekend, etc.

Bayou City Art Festival - Houston, TX Artist Festival in Memorial Park and Downtown Bayou City Art Festival

Old 10-17-2012, 07:31 PM

205 posts, read 246,978 times
You could check out Muir Fine Art Gallery @ CITYCENTRE. I haven't been to their new City Centre location, but I visited their previous location a few times.
Muir Fine Art Gallery

Old 10-17-2012, 08:52 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronstew View Post
So we just moved into a house and we are in dire need of some art for the walls. I'm looking for some fairly medium to large pieces. I'm not partial to genre--landscape, abstract, etc., but I would prefer original artwork. I have seen that place in the mall that sells artwork by beginners, but haven't been that impressed. I'm looking for some recommendations on places I can go to buy relatively reasonably priced (up to $1000), reasonably good art. Anyone got a suggestion? Thanks in advance.
Online?

Here's some original art - colorblind
Christopher Fisher Photography

cave drawings
Christopher Fisher Photography
(These are currently in a gallery in Boston thru Oct 28th)

Old 10-19-2012, 10:27 AM

175 posts, read 367,574 times
Thanks for all the suggestions. I plan to take my time, maybe acquire a few pieces within the next year or so. Just needed some places to look. Online is helpful as we've got two small children and it's hard to get out to galleries. I have many small pieces of art that have special meaning to me, but no large pieces, which is what we need. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston