Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 06:28 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,304,323 times

Advertisements

I live in Texas and love Texas
but the anti-California attitude makes sound like the fans of a loser team that are jealous of the team that wins every year.

If Texas is so great, there's no reason to ever mention California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 06:42 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,419,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
but the anti-California attitude makes sound like the fans of a loser team that are jealous of the team that wins every year.

Did you even read the OP's statement, hardly jealousy .....good grief.

If saying California is expensive and mentioning an article citing jobs are moving to Tx is is hating....I'm guilty but honest

Old 11-19-2012, 06:43 PM

489 posts, read 621,960 times
No, CA has some really great points. You can't beat the weather and the natural beauty. Also, there is every amenity at your fingertips.

But affordability is not one of those great attributes. If you have millions of dollars, or if you bought your house before the boom, and your house is now paid for and worth millions of dollars, then, great! A wonderful lifestyle is easily within reach. But, if you are making around 100k a year ( or, really much less than 200 k a year) and hoping to be a new home owner? Good luck! Unless you are ok with living in one of the armpit areas of CA. This is the reason for the mass exodus.

But, I love CA and will miss many things. I am not anti- CA, just wanting to live in a more affordable, family friendly place. So, I have to sacrifice weather to get that. Ymmv.

But, that poster who was saying you can get a house in LA in a "desirable" neighborhood for 100 k? Preposterous!

Old 11-19-2012, 06:53 PM

970 posts, read 1,873,948 times
Well, I'm Old......and what I remember is that there was a Mutual Admiration Thing going on back in the '80s. In fact, there was an article in the Dallas Morning News about how Texas and California had so much in common, blah, blah, blah.

I moved to CA in the early '80s......more specifically, I moved to LA.......when it was "run" by a conservative. It was just fine then............

My experience in CA was that most people were not natives.

What is depressing to me is to mention that you live in Texas, are from Texas, etc. (not in a proudful way,)and people who have never been here, have an opinion...........which is usually wrong.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:21 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,772,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post

I guess the old saying is true, "people see what they want to see". No one here is anti-california. But if you want me to air a gripe, I'll do so. Too often down here I hear people talk about the low quality of life in TX and the so called high quality of life in CA. It gets tossed around a few times a week. TX is too hot, you can't go outside, you can't enjoy yourself. Then CA gets mentioned as this wonderful oasis where the quality of life is amazing.

So I call BS on this because my IQ requires me to. Quality of life is a function of what people can afford. What kind of quality of life would I have if I had to live 100 miles east of LA out in some desert community where it's 120 degrees all summer? Is there a wonderful ballet company in the desert? Are there chic European cafe's in the desert? Are there hip and trendy jazz clubs in the desert? No, if you live out there in the sandbox, your life is a living hell.

But nobody mentions this. Instead it's assumed if one lives in Cali that they are in some hip condo in Santa Monica over looking the beach and sipping cocktails. I've lived a lot of different places. I've earned an OK living. And I can tell you that to live a high quality of life in places like NY or CA or even Boston or DC takes a lot of money. Most people have to pick and choose. Live some place cool and hip, but live like a bum and put your kids in crappy schools. Or live someplace boring but enjoy a better quality of life by living in a safe area with good schools and perhaps boring people. Can you have both? Of course. But you better be in the top 1% to 3%. And I'm sure one or two people on city data is. Statistically speaking there has to be a few. But this idea that one can simply live out there and leave this so called crappy quality of life in TX and live like a king in CA is preposterous.

But I am willing to be wrong. In fact, I would love to be wrong! Please post some real estate data of a house or condo out there along with a pic so we can see just how easy living the dream is. I would be thrilled as beans if someone could show me how I could live cheaply in San Diego with a high quality of life. Trust me, that won't tick me off, it will make my day!

Last edited by jek74; 11-19-2012 at 07:35 PM..

Old 11-19-2012, 07:27 PM

489 posts, read 621,960 times
You're not wrong, Jek. Sorry to have to confirm that bummer of a truth .

Old 11-19-2012, 07:33 PM

970 posts, read 1,873,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
I guess the old saying is true, "people see what they want to see". No one here is anti-california. But if you want me to air a gripe, I'll do so. Too often down here I hear people talk about the low quality of life in TX and the so called high quality of life in CA. It gets tossed around a few times a week. TX is too hot, you can't go outside, you can't enjoy yourself. Then CA gets mentioned as this wonderful oasis where the quality of life is amazing.

So I call BS on this because my IQ requires me to. Quality of life is a function of what people can afford. What kind of quality of life would I have if I had to live 100 miles east of LA out in some dessert community where it's 120 degrees all summer? Is there a wonderful ballet company in the desert? Are there chic European cafe's in the dessert? Are there hip and trendy jazz clubs in the dessert? No, if you live out there in the sandbox, your life is a living hell.

But nobody mentions this. Instead it's assumed if one lives in Cali that they are in some hip condo in Santa Monica over looking the beach and sipping cocktails. I've lived a lot of different places. I've earned an OK living. And I can tell you that to live a high quality of life in places like NY or CA or even Boston or DC takes a lot of money. Most people have to pick and choose. Live some place cool and hip, but live like a bum and put your kids in crappy schools. Or live someplace boring but enjoy a better quality of life by living in a safe area with good schools and perhaps boring people. Can you have both? Of course. But you better be in the top 1% to 3%. And I'm sure one or two people on city data is. Statistically speaking there has to be a few. But this idea that one can simply live out there and leave this so called crappy quality of life in TX and live like a king in CA is preposterous.

But I am willing to be wrong. In fact, I would love to be wrong! Please post some real estate data of a house or condo out there along with a pic so we can see just how easy living the dream is. I would be thrilled as beans if someone could show me how I could live cheaply in San Diego with a high quality of life. Trust me, that won't **** me off, it will make my day!
Jek, you're making me hungry........but I know you mean desert.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:34 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,772,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Olikee View Post
Jek, you're making me hungry........but I know you mean desert.
OK, you got me on a technicality.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:36 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,419,357 times
I agree with you Jek. I don't feel under privileged to live where my family has a better lifestyle for the same $. I can travel to Ca for vacation and have 20 times or so but never lived there. I interviewed for a job with an oil company in California coming out of college but found it wasn't my cup of tea so accepted a job in Houston. The weather is great often there and the scenery is nice as well...but I dont have a need or desire to live there. I like Tx just fine...its the down to earth people and being near family that is what matters to me...not scenery or weather or being some place hip.

Im glad many like Ca and want to live there...or Tx would be more crowded than it is.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:39 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I agree with you in principle. I've lived in a few red states that are seeing migrations from blue staters. They generally leave the blue states to retire in red states because the taxes and cost of living is too high in the blue states.

Obviously, I don't think people from California or the northeast are moving to the South to elect more Democrats. What seems to happen is they move to the South, find things are done differently and say to themselves "that's not how we did it back in New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, etc.", so they end up voting for a candidate that sounds more familiar to them. Of course, they don't realize that what they are familiar with goes part and parcel with why they left their former state in the first place.
I've been saying this so many times before on here and it doesn't register into people's minds . That's what called being Californicated. It's happened to my state with the deluge of New Yorkers moving here. Don't get me started on that subject
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston