Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 09:10 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,495,310 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this is too late but:

First Colony Mall: 16535 Southwest Freeway
Sugar Land,
TX 77479

(this is address of the Starbucks, but I put it there b/c it's at the center of where the pedestrian friendly area is, instead of the mall itself) This area is fun for shopping, eating and people watching.

Head over to the other corner where Wholefoods/Gigi's is. Drive up Hwy 6 and through Fluor Daniel and Creekbend and out Lakepoint Pkwy to Hwy 59 again.

Drive west on 59 and up University Ave to visit the Museum of Natural Science (This is a branch but not as good as the one in the Museum district). Turn left at the museum onto New Territory Bld and then drive the loop Homeward Way to view New Territory Subdivistion. Continue on New Territory Blvd adn exit onto Highway 99/Grandparkway and make a left (south) back to 59.

At 59 and Grand parkway, enter the greatwood subdivision and take that Greatwood Pkwy loop and exit back on 59 to view the subdivision. Also, on the NE corner of that intersection (99x59) there is an HEB grocery store and bunch of shops and restaurants there, but not too exciting to actually visit.

Drive east on 59 to University and drive by U of Houston Sugar Land campus at 14000 University, 77479. Nothing to do there but just to see as you drive by. I don't think that University ave. leads to Riverstone subdivision yet. If not, get back to Hwy 6 and head south on Hwy 6 and you have your choices of subdivisions, restaurant and shops there.

A good sampling of restaurants, shops and businesses can be seen along Hwy 59 and Hwy 6.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 04:44 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,736,905 times
ChocolateBabz... you must know me! Either that or IF I end up in Sugar Land, we need to meet!

Old 11-23-2012, 04:46 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,736,905 times
Wow, HoustonFan, that was AMAZING!! It is too late for this trip, but with your directions, I know we would see a lot! If there is a next time, we will definitely take that route to tour Sugar Land.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:35 AM

488 posts, read 1,383,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Morris View Post
ChocolateBabz... you must know me! Either that or IF I end up in Sugar Land, we need to meet!
LOL, you get the cupcakes, I'll bring the wine

Old 11-29-2012, 11:20 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz View Post
Gotta have your priorities, sometimes a cupcake and a glass of wine saves the day!
Okay, just to throw in some levity... and speaking of cupcakes. In the Dallas forum, up until earlier this year, Coach Phillips - the younger, I forget his name now - while Cowboys Coach, was referred to as Coach Cupcake.

Being the Houston forum, thought it to be.... well, a working priority.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:41 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
MichelleMorris, just to get your Texas experience off to a proper start, here is some info on Sugar Land history...

Quote:
SUGAR LAND, TX | The Handbook of Texas Online| Texas State Historical Association (TSHA)
SUGAR LAND, TEXAS. Sugar Land is on Oyster Creek and U.S. Highway 90A, east of the Brazos River and seven miles northeast of Richmond in northeastern Fort Bend County. The area was originally granted to Samuel M. Williams in 1828 for his service as secretary to Stephen F. Austin.
There's much more at the link. This area is important in Texas history being near the rich soils of the Brazos River...
Quote:
OLD THREE HUNDRED | The Handbook of Texas Online| Texas State Historical Association (TSHA)
The name Old Three Hundred is sometimes used to refer to the settlers who received land grants in Stephen F. Austin's first colony. In January 1821 Austin's father, Moses Austin, had received a permit from the Spanish to settle 300 families in Texas, but he died in Missouri a short time later before he could realize his plans. Stephen F. Austin took his father's place and traveled to San Antonio, where he met with the Spanish governor Antonio María Martínez, who acknowledged him as his father's successor. Austin quickly found willing colonists, and by the end of the summer of 1824 most of the Old Three Hundred were in Texas.
Quote:
BRAZOS RIVER | The Handbook of Texas Online| Texas State Historical Association (TSHA)
The full name of the river, often used in Spanish accounts, is Los Brazos de Dios, "the arms of God." Many legends have grown up explaining the name. Probably the earliest is that Francisco Vázquez de Coronado and his men wandering up the Llano Estacado were about to perish from lack of water when the Indians guided them to a small stream, which the men then named Brazos de Dios.
Good luck on your home search and move. Be sure to visit the Texas Travel Guide for your next adventure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston