Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2011, 10:49 PM

26 posts, read 169,440 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am visiting Houston (and Dallas and Austin) in Sept later this year. Specifically, I am considering living in the Sugar Land area (and North Dallas and Round Rock).

I am staying at each place for a little over 2 days each. I would like to really get a sense of "what it is like to live there on a daily basis". Thus, I would visit places/neighborhoods/restaurants/shopping centers/etc. that would best give me a sense of this.

If you have any thoughts or suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 01:37 AM
NTT

723 posts, read 1,832,882 times
You're visiting for 2 days and want to "get a sense of "what it is like to live there on a daily basis""? I sure don't know where to start . I've been living in Houston for over 30 years and still don't have a sense of what is the "daily basis". I can tell you this, September is still hurricane season. It'd either be still hot & humid or stormy which means keeping our eyes on the weather .

Old 06-20-2011, 11:03 AM

860 posts, read 1,585,015 times
Houston is a huge, very-spread-out city. There's no way you can tell what it's like to live here if you're visiting for only 2 days.

September weather is hot. An air-conditioned car is a must, as we simply don't have a good public transportation system.

Suggestion: ASAP, get a big, detailed printed map of Houston and vicinity and study it. Then go online for Google maps and see specific areas in detail.

Also, spend some time reading the dozens of "Moving to Houston" threads on this forum.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:38 AM

18,126 posts, read 25,272,176 times
I lived in NE San Antonio and got to visit Austin enough to tell you that the traffic there is horrible.
And their solution was to build toll roads that nobody uses, so everybody drives on I-35 plus the 1 million trucks per day that come from/to Mexico.

You have to tell us exactly what you are looking for to help you better.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:39 AM

26 posts, read 169,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensk08 View Post
Houston is a huge, very-spread-out city. There's no way you can tell what it's like to live here if you're visiting for only 2 days.

September weather is hot. An air-conditioned car is a must, as we simply don't have a good public transportation system.

Suggestion: ASAP, get a big, detailed printed map of Houston and vicinity and study it. Then go online for Google maps and see specific areas in detail.

Also, spend some time reading the dozens of "Moving to Houston" threads on this forum.
Thank you for your replies.

We are going to be concentrating on the SW portion of Houston, checking out public schools, parks, community centers, shopping centers, and restaurants. If you have any specific suggestions, that would be great.

Thanks!

Old 06-21-2011, 11:56 AM

809 posts, read 3,568,928 times
For shopping definitely check out the area around Hwy 6 and 59. In that general area, off the top of my head, there is:
Whole Foods
Super Target
First Colony Mall (Macy's, Dillards, Pottery Barn, etc)
Sephora
Homegoods Store
Marshalls
Garden Ridge
Academy
Z Gallerie
Party City
Old Navy
Pier 1 Imports
Lowes
Home Depot

Google those stores and it will take you around to different shopping centers in that area general area (77478).

First Colony mall is nice, IMHO. Also, the Town Square shopping center (where Z Gallerie is) is neat. It's an "oudoor mall" type thing. First Colony and Town Square are next to each other. And behind Town Square is another shopping center with bigger stores like Marshalls, Ross, DSW shoes, Pier 1, Old Navy. Really, there is no lack of shopping in the area!

For Mexican Food, I suggest Lopez (11606 S Wilcrest Dr, Houston, TX ). It is not in Sugar Land, but a little North. The surrounding area is not as nice as Sugar Land, but the food is worth it.

For BBQ, I suggest Otto's BBQ. It is just North of Sugar Land in Staffod (11222 Fountain Lake Drive
Stafford, TX 77477). The shopping center that it is in also has some good stores - Bed Bath & Beyond, Steinmart, Hobby Lobby, Old Navy Outlet, Saks Outlet, Office Max.

Hope that helps.

ETA: If you don't have a hotel yet, there is a Marriot in the Town Square center that would be a good option.

Also check out: http://www.sugarlandtx.gov/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston