Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 04:01 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,958,320 times

Advertisements

Hi...some of you may remember me when I made a thread several weeks ago in the Texas forum regarding the possibility of relocating to either Austin, Dallas or Houston. Based on my research and advice given, it seems that Houston would be the best of the three for me. Austin seemed too weird for me and Dallas seemed too pretentious/cosmopolitan.

With that said, I am planning on driving down sometime probably next week, as well as Denver, Colorado, as I am debating between moving to one of those cities (as well as Orlando, FL). Houston seems to offer a lot economically, and a lot of jobs (I have good experience in the utility industry, with a master's degree). And it seems to be quite gay friendly (although I don't care for Montrose or gayborhoods in general). I also love heat and don't mind humidity.

So, what would leave me impressed and excited about moving to Houston? Well, if it's as diverse and not so southern cultured as people say, that's a big plus. I'm hoping to not hear too many southern accents (nothing against them, but I want to hear plenty of other people who talk like me (from New England). I'm also hoping that the traffic isn't as brutal as people say. And I'm also hoping that the city isn't too chaotic, fast-paced or noisy. Finally, I hope that the flat topography isn't as annoying as people say, and I hope that there are plenty of outdoor activities, hiking, walking, etc., since I love nature. I'm talking about the metro area in general. I just want to see how Texasy it really is or isn't. And I hope it's not a conservative place, either.

I will be driving my car there. I'm nervous about the prices of hotels, as I'm hoping to spend no more than $70-80 per night on staying at a hotel, especially with the holiday season in swing. But maybe if I stay on the extreme outskirts of town, I can get away with paying less.

Worst case scenario, I'll choose Denver or Orlando over Houston....but we'll see!

Old 12-05-2012, 04:07 PM

418 posts, read 742,522 times
Sounds like Denver would be a better fit for you. Wouldn't want to offend you with all our southern accents down here.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:26 PM

543 posts, read 1,387,532 times
Check out hotels at hotwire.com. They have really nice price on the hotels.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:37 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,628,299 times
Denver would obviously be the best choice, but then again Houston is a bustling new city on the rise.

People here do not all southern accents just like not everyone in Boston has one. Houston has a lot of transplants and everyone is mixed. It's a cosmopolitan city with ample places to eat, drink and play. The inner city is gay friendly but I wouldn't venture out of the loop if you're looking for open mindedness. With the exception of Woodlands and Sugarland, outer loop Houston is a wasteland of conservative sprawl (no offense ppl).

Memorial Park is great, Herman is too, but overall the city is flat and unpleasing to the eye if you're looking for natural beauty. Hiking consists of going up and down the small trails in the parks. Houston is not hilly at all. The city is not fast paced or too slow like a tiny Texan town, it's somewhere in between.

What you're going to get out of the city are the people, the arts scene, the music, the bar culture, the job opportunities and overall quality of life that won't have holding on for dear life like you would in more expensive cities like NY and LA.

You will have to put up with smarmy conservative natives who don't like all the major changes happening though.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:42 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,488,669 times
Its a shame your so anti gayborhood, Montrose is one of the better neighborhoods in Houston. Keep in mind even though it's where all the bars are most people living in Montrose are straight. Most of the apartments in the area you have a much higher likely hood of having a straight neighbor as opposed to a gay one, but it's your choice not mine.

Hot wire has excellent deals btw. You should book now. There are nice places in your budget but be prepared to pay for parking and wifi on top of the room price, unless free parking is specified.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:51 PM

Exactly montrose is one of my fav hoods in Houston. It's an amazing eclectic little spot. It's next to some of the best bars gay or straight.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:52 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Denver would obviously be the best choice, but then again Houston is a bustling new city on the rise.

People here do not all southern accents just like not everyone in Boston has one. Houston has a lot of transplants and everyone is mixed. It's a cosmopolitan city with ample places to eat, drink and play. The inner city is gay friendly but I wouldn't venture out of the loop if you're looking for open mindedness. With the exception of Woodlands and Sugarland, outer loop Houston is a wasteland of conservative sprawl (no offense ppl).

Memorial Park is great, Herman is too, but overall the city is flat and unpleasing to the eye if you're looking for natural beauty. Hiking consists of going up and down the small trails in the parks. Houston is not hilly at all. The city is not fast paced or too slow like a tiny Texan town, it's somewhere in between.

What you're going to get out of the city are the people, the arts scene, the music, the bar culture, the job opportunities and overall quality of life that won't have holding on for dear life like you would in more expensive cities like NY and LA.

You will have to put up with smarmy conservative natives who don't like all the major changes happening though.
Why are you here if you hate the smarmy natives so much? Please move back to wherever you came from and take your vote with you. God, I'd hate it if we end up like California with no hope of voting out idiots and actually voting for tax increases and Democratic super-majorities. Don't forget the reason you moved here - because Houston and Texas are creating jobs! Don't mess it up by changing the politics because we will end up like the jobless, seriously indebted state you came from.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Hi...some of you may remember me when I made a thread several weeks ago in the Texas forum regarding the possibility of relocating to either Austin, Dallas or Houston. Based on my research and advice given, it seems that Houston would be the best of the three for me. Austin seemed too weird for me and Dallas seemed too pretentious/cosmopolitan.

With that said, I am planning on driving down sometime probably next week, as well as Denver, Colorado, as I am debating between moving to one of those cities (as well as Orlando, FL). Houston seems to offer a lot economically, and a lot of jobs (I have good experience in the utility industry, with a master's degree). And it seems to be quite gay friendly (although I don't care for Montrose or gayborhoods in general). I also love heat and don't mind humidity.

So, what would leave me impressed and excited about moving to Houston? Well, if it's as diverse and not so southern cultured as people say, that's a big plus. I'm hoping to not hear too many southern accents (nothing against them, but I want to hear plenty of other people who talk like me (from New England). I'm also hoping that the traffic isn't as brutal as people say. And I'm also hoping that the city isn't too chaotic, fast-paced or noisy. Finally, I hope that the flat topography isn't as annoying as people say, and I hope that there are plenty of outdoor activities, hiking, walking, etc., since I love nature. I'm talking about the metro area in general. I just want to see how Texasy it really is or isn't. And I hope it's not a conservative place, either.

I will be driving my car there. I'm nervous about the prices of hotels, as I'm hoping to spend no more than $70-80 per night on staying at a hotel, especially with the holiday season in swing. But maybe if I stay on the extreme outskirts of town, I can get away with paying less.

Worst case scenario, I'll choose Denver or Orlando over Houston....but we'll see!
I was going to give you the selling points, but on second thought I'd rather you just moved to Denver. Really, if I could I would move to Denver. You won't have to suffer our accents, and we won't have to suffer yours.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Why are you here if you hate the smarmy natives so much? Please move back to wherever you came from and take your vote with you. God, I'd hate it if we end up like California with no hope of voting out idiots and actually voting for tax increases and Democratic super-majorities. Don't forget the reason you moved here - because Houston and Texas are creating jobs! Don't mess it up by changing the politics because we will end up like the jobless, seriously indebted state you came from.
I live in LA and you're from my hometown of Katy and are the very reason why I moved out. You're proving my point to the OP too.

I am moving back to Houston because I've been waiting for the type of development to happen in my favorite city so I can enjoy big city life close to family.

Houston is changing. Get over it. And besides nothing real exciting is happening out in your neck of the woods so do not act like young people are just flocking to Katy in droves to take part in the changing face of Houston. I have nothing against Katy, it's where I grew up, but for the most part it's just a dead end small town with almost no connection to the inner city of Houston. I have never seen such a major disconnect between a burb and a city in my life! It's just a 25 min drive away from the city yet it feels like I left NYC to the cow pastures of Jersey (several hours from the city) by comparison. At least Sugar Land seems more relevant to the growth happening in town.

If you don't like the changes you can move further into the country like Fulshear or Simonton.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
I live in LA and you're from my hometown of Katy and are the very reason why I moved out. You're proving my point to the OP too.

I am moving back to Houston because I've been waiting for the type of development to happen in my favorite city so I can enjoy big city life close to family.

Houston is changing. Get over it. And besides nothing real exciting is happening out in your neck of the woods so do not act like young people are just flocking to Katy in droves to take part in the changing face of Houston. I have nothing against Katy, it's where I grew up, but for the most part it's just a dead end small town with almost no connection to the inner city of Houston. I have never seen such a major disconnect between a burb and a city in my life! It's just a 25 min drive away from the city yet it feels like I left NYC to the cow pastures of Jersey (several hours from the city) by comparison. At least Sugar Land seems more relevant to the growth happening in town.

If you don't like the changes you can move further into the country like Fulshear or Simonton.

I grew up in the inner city and still work there, so don't think I'm just some hick Katy girl who doesn't understand what's happening in Houston. I live here because I can't afford a house inside the Loop and pay private school tuition for my children as well. The fact of the matter is that Katy has a better school district and more affordable homes.

My real fear isn't that Houston's changing, but that people move here for opportunities and want to turn it into the bankrupt cities they left. Don't like zoning? Too bad. Lack of zoning has given us a vibrant business community, not to mention quirky folk art like the Orange Show and Beer Can House. Love higher taxes and bigger government? Then stay in LA, where you have all the quality arts and entertainment you like, and plenty of tolerance for gays, but not much diversity of opinions. Personally, I have plenty of tolerance for gays AND diversity of opinions. I'm not one of those conservatives in the morality business. I could care less if Frank wants to marry Joe. I just think the country is heading for third-world status in this century if we don't get our debt and spending under control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston