Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 11:08 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,626,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I'm not saying every place in Houston needs to be chic, but there's nothing wrong with having establishments that are. Regardless of the stereotypes about our city, there is a culture of people here that do like to dress up and mingle with other worldly and cultured people. There should be restaurants and clubs that cater to that demographic. And I don't remember seeing any rule that says only New Yorkers and the like are allowed to have that. Just be glad we aren't as bad as Dallas.

I'm pretty sure there's more than enough snootiness to be found in Beverly Hills and many places north of Wilshire.
The image LA gives off is just a tired old stereotype that doesn't fit the city anymore. I've been up and down Sunset, Beverly Hills and Wilshire. I remember when I first arrived I called the W Hotel Bar in Westwood West LA to ask about the dress code and the guy just told me, "We don't really care, as long as it's not shorts and flip flops". And the W Hotel has a really nice bar/lounge.

Bar Marmont on Sunset is a primo West Hollywood destination and the majority of the people there were in casual H&M looking clothes. It's just about what style you have and look you create for yourself rather than what clothes you're wearing.

I think the only places that are really like that relic iconic stereotype are in Hollywood proper, where the area is a bit sketchy.

NYC when I visited had some exclusive uppity joints for sure but it seemed rather merited. I don't think that Houston needs that when you're club or bar is in a shopping mall center or right across from a bail bonds or whatever else due to Houston's crazy zoning.

But mostly I am not talking about dressing like a slob and getting into places, but if you're style is causal but still really nice ala nice looking grey v-neck, blazer, black slacks and black shoes, why give a guy trouble? Why does it have to be collared long sleeve (usually striped) dress shirt tucked into some relaxed fit jeans with some polo boots in order to be considered nice (which is the night style of choice for a lot of Houston men)?

Cultured people who've been around the world know that it's more about the way you wear your clothes than what you're actually wearing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 12:47 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
The image LA gives off is just a tired old stereotype that doesn't fit the city anymore. I've been up and down Sunset, Beverly Hills and Wilshire. I remember when I first arrived I called the W Hotel Bar in Westwood West LA to ask about the dress code and the guy just told me, "We don't really care, as long as it's not shorts and flip flops". And the W Hotel has a really nice bar/lounge.

Bar Marmont on Sunset is a primo West Hollywood destination and the majority of the people there were in casual H&M looking clothes. It's just about what style you have and look you create for yourself rather than what clothes you're wearing.

I think the only places that are really like that relic iconic stereotype are in Hollywood proper, where the area is a bit sketchy.

NYC when I visited had some exclusive uppity joints for sure but it seemed rather merited. I don't think that Houston needs that when you're club or bar is in a shopping mall center or right across from a bail bonds or whatever else due to Houston's crazy zoning.

But mostly I am not talking about dressing like a slob and getting into places, but if you're style is causal but still really nice ala nice looking grey v-neck, blazer, black slacks and black shoes, why give a guy trouble? Why does it have to be collared long sleeve (usually striped) dress shirt tucked into some relaxed fit jeans with some polo boots in order to be considered nice (which is the night style of choice for a lot of Houston men)?

Cultured people who've been around the world know that it's more about the way you wear your clothes than what you're actually wearing.
I don't disagree, but I'm not understanding how that means that people should dress however they want to any establishment.

Dress codes are just tradition for many in the business of entertaining. This whole laid back approach to things is more new school and owners don't have to embrace that. Some establishments have a vision for their business, and that doesn't bother me at all. To each his own, though.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
I don't disagree, but I'm not understanding how that means that people should dress however they want to any establishment.

Dress codes are just tradition for many in the business of entertaining. This whole laid back approach to things is more new school and owners don't have to embrace that. Some establishments have a vision for their business, and that doesn't bother me at all. To each his own, though.
Houston does have a sophistication in some parts of the city that remind more of Boston and DC, especially in the Rice, University, Herman Park, River Oaks and Museum District area. Now there I can see them being a bit more adamant about maintaining a traditional style. Those areas alone make Houston seem world class a bit. True class I've learned hanging out in places in DC and Boston is vintage. Places like Colombe d'OR if you know what I mean.

Upper Kirby seems to be the new mini-Sunset Blvd in Houston from what I hear too, no?

But all in all, a club down Washington Ave. doesn't need to be hoity toity about their clientele.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Houston does have a sophistication in some parts of the city that remind more of Boston and DC, especially in the Rice, University, Herman Park, River Oaks and Museum District area. Now there I can see them being a bit more adamant about maintaining a traditional style. Those areas alone make Houston seem world class a bit. True class I've learned hanging out in places in DC and Boston is vintage. Places like Colombe d'OR if you know what I mean.

Upper Kirby seems to be the new mini-Sunset Blvd in Houston from what I hear too, no?

But all in all, a club down Washington Ave. doesn't need to be hoity toity about their clientele.
You know what? I absolutely agree. The haute attitudes could be a little more organized, but, then again, organization has hardly ever been the way we do things in this town lol.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
You know what? I absolutely agree. The haute attitudes could be a little more organized, but, then again, organization has hardly ever been the way we do things in this town lol.
This might be a theory of mine, but I've heard that bouncers practice a lot of racism at the the door or at least a level of elitism/classism that eliminates the undesireables at their establishment, and this usually entails any really ethnic/urban looking couture; skinny jeans, flashy shirts, Justin Bieber/Pharrell looking digs.

Midtown and Wash Ave. like their clientele in long sleeve dress shirts, relaxed jeans and polo or cowboy boots, north face fleeces, preppy polos, etc. Nicer establishment prefer the long sleeve dress shirts with a blazer and boots (cowboy or not). Look young and like you work in oil/gas, accounting/finance and you're in.

Everyone else go to Montrose/Westheimer, downtown or uptown.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:47 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Two things I don't understand:

-You have Papa's but not Carrabas? Put them both at the bottom of the top 100

-Has the list writer never been to China Town? A lot of the best restaurants are missing or ranked much too low (Fu Fu, for example).

Oh, and Bernie's Burger Bus ain't got nothing on Bubba's Burger Shack.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
This might be a theory of mine, but I've heard that bouncers practice a lot of racism at the the door or at least a level of elitism/classism that eliminates the undesireables at their establishment, and this usually entails any really ethnic/urban looking couture; skinny jeans, flashy shirts, Justin Bieber/Pharrell looking digs.

Midtown and Wash Ave. like their clientele in long sleeve dress shirts, relaxed jeans and polo or cowboy boots, north face fleeces, preppy polos, etc. Nicer establishment prefer the long sleeve dress shirts with a blazer and boots (cowboy or not). Look young and like you work in oil/gas, accounting/finance and you're in.
I never had any reason to go into those (mostly) tacky places anyway. If I see someone walking in with cowboy boots, then that's most likely not my scene.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
I never had any reason to go into those (mostly) tacky places anyway. If I see someone walking in with cowboy boots, then that's most likely not my scene.
Well not all are cowboy bars but the crowd is mostly young oil/gas, law, accounting/finance types that want to mingle with other such people. There's never any dancing (unless it's a country bar), always just people holding their drinks to their chests talking among themselves. It can be cool once in a while but I like to let loose on the weekends.

The only one I went that even remotely resembled a club where this crowd goes to was Roosevelt on Wash Ave. and it was full of these guys and girls ready to party but it seemed rather exclusive to these types and not to ethnic or urban style folk ("urban" being code for minority in TX).

I just don't get what is up with the rudeness of Houston clubs? Do they think that by letting in a whole bunch of different people that it will bring their club down and the true cash cow (rich white young professionals) will not go anymore?

I mean I've partied in Chicago, NYC, Miami, LA, DC and Boston and this level of haute is unheard of. So there has to be something else at work.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:33 AM

3,168 posts, read 2,062,993 times
I hate these lists, I've been to many of them despite being here since October (huge foodie) and while all good, there are some awesome mom and pops places flying under the radar.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:45 PM

One is Blue Nile Ethiopian Cuisine. Another is the Reggae Hut. And last of course is Taqueria Arandas.

Houston also has probably the best Arab/Middle Eastern food I've ever had. Try Shish Kabob Cafe for starters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston