Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 09:54 AM

19 posts, read 23,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
I don't know where you live, but here in the Woodlands I see kids everywhere in the summer outside. We have 70 miles of bike and hiking trails here and they are packed. Granted they are shaded which is nice.
Ahhh, yes, it's much nicer in the Woodlands with all that shade. Over here in the Clear Lake area, and most of the rest of Houston as well, we're getting all 1.35 kilowatts per square meter of sunlight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 10:06 AM

8,898 posts, read 20,023,726 times
Or you can "man up" the kids and slap on some sunscreen and go out and play like we did when we were kids. Seems like the kids getting hot and sweaty is frowned upon now. Yeah don't send them out between noon and 4 on the hottest heat warning days but morning and late afternoon, there is no reason they can't be out for extended periods of time.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:14 AM

18,140 posts, read 25,330,929 times
Quote:
Is this the weather you guys have been waiting for? I honestly don't understand people who like this weather. I came down from Chicago to get away from this. It's one thing to have temps drop into the 50's which is nice, but this 30 degree weather is awful. Yet it seems like so many of you here are wanting this. I hope you guys are happy now that you got what you wanted.
I HATE it when people say
"The weather is so warm, it doesn't even feel like Christmas"
WTF do you expect when you live 1 hour from Galveston?

BTW, I lived in Missouri 12 years and I don't want to see snow unless is on a mountain in Colorado.
Snow on flat land is waste, and in a few hours it will become "dirt shaved iced"

Old 12-27-2012, 01:19 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,952,224 times
Quote:
I'm from Chicago. Lived there 9 years. So yes, I know all about bundling up. I lived in this weather. It just doesn't feel right down here. Heck, people are mowing their lawns!!! Maybe it's because the visual is not lining up with the feel. It's playing games with my brain. I still don't believe you guys really like it though. Most of you are probably saying this while your inside your warm homes drinking hot coco and watching TV. LOL.
I am a Chicagoan and we are currently considering moving back to the Chicago area (depends on my son's job prospects). I am outside more in this weather than I am when the weather is hot. I lived in Evanston for 30 years, in Chicago proper for 2 years, then in Skokie for 4 years before moving south.

Heck, I walked in Evanston with my walking club through snow with one of those shoes for a broken foot on. I much prefer this weather to the heat we get for 6 months and the humidity for 3 months that are not winter, but still too hot for me.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:47 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,773,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I am a Chicagoan and we are currently considering moving back to the Chicago area (depends on my son's job prospects). I am outside more in this weather than I am when the weather is hot. I lived in Evanston for 30 years, in Chicago proper for 2 years, then in Skokie for 4 years before moving south.

Heck, I walked in Evanston with my walking club through snow with one of those shoes for a broken foot on. I much prefer this weather to the heat we get for 6 months and the humidity for 3 months that are not winter, but still too hot for me.
You would move back to Chicago just because of the weather? Most people are leaving for the weather. LOL. I'm sorry to hear you are not happy down here. If you are retired though that makes things easier. You can choose to live just about anywhere. If I moved back to a big city up north one day, I think it would be NY over Chicago. The weather is actually much nicer there!

Old 12-27-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
You would move back to Chicago just because of the weather? Most people are leaving for the weather. LOL. I'm sorry to hear you are not happy down here. If you are retired though that makes things easier. You can choose to live just about anywhere. If I moved back to a big city up north one day, I think it would be NY over Chicago. The weather is actually much nicer there!
Not only because of the weather.

I want my public transportation (major reason).
I want my beach within walking distance. I want to walk down the lakefront and people watch.
I want schools that have excellent science and math programs for my granddaughter (we supplement a lot here despite the fact that Pearland has *decent* schools).
I want to walk around and hear 15 different languages spoken (we were just in Evanston for the holidays and it was amazing how many different languages we heard).
I want my grandkids to be near their relatives - they had a great time with their cousins while we were there.
I want my cuisine easily accessible. It is too far here and the variety while it's ok, is just not as great. Again, while we were back in Evanston, we walked to Olive Mountain, Giordano's, Flattop Grill, Buffalo Wild Wings, Cozy Noodle and Rice, etc., etc., etc.
I want to walk to my wonderful *free* festivals on the lakefront in Evanston - Starlight Concerts in Wilmette, the Custer Street Fair, the Fountain Square Arts Festival, the Evanston Ethnic Arts Fest, etc.
I want theater and arts easily accessible - We went to a wonderful, fun small theater when we were there - Piccolo Theater (only 50 seats and very broad comedy, great for my granddaughter). Piven Theater is also in Evanston and has great productions and other theaters in Chicago are accessible by *el*
Even the movie theater is within walking distance if we live in Evanston. Note that I am a walker.. I walk longer distances than most people, but even without that, I could easily take the bus or train to anything I want access to there.

Btw, we love NYC as well, but it is too congested and the cost of living there is actually a good deal more than the cost in Chicago.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:

I want my beach within walking distance. I want to walk down the lakefront and people watch.
I want schools that have excellent science and math programs for my granddaughter (we supplement a lot here despite the fact that Pearland has *decent* schools).
I want to walk around and hear 15 different languages spoken (we were just in Evanston for the holidays and it was amazing how many different languages we heard).
I want my grandkids to be near their relatives - they had a great time with their cousins while we were there.
I want my cuisine easily accessible. It is too far here and the variety while it's ok, is just not as great. Again, while we were back in Evanston, we walked to Olive Mountain, Giordano's, Flattop Grill, Buffalo Wild Wings, Cozy Noodle and Rice, etc., etc., etc.
I want to walk to my wonderful *free* festivals on the lakefront in Evanston - Starlight Concerts in Wilmette, the Custer Street Fair, the Fountain Square Arts Festival, the Evanston Ethnic Arts Fest, etc.
I want theater and arts easily accessible - We went to a wonderful, fun small theater when we were there - Piccolo Theater (only 50 seats and very broad comedy, great for my granddaughter). Piven Theater is also in Evanston and has great productions and other theaters in Chicago are accessible by *el*
Even the movie theater is within walking distance if we live in Evanston. Note that I am a walker.. I walk longer distances than most people, but even without that, I could easily take the bus or train to anything I want access to there.

Btw, we love NYC as well, but it is too congested and the cost of living there is actually a good deal more than the cost in Chicago.

I lived in Chicago for 9 years so I'm all aware of those things. But certainly you knew that when you moved to Houston. I mean when I moved to NY I was well aware of how expensive it was. When I moved to FL I knew it would be dang hot there. I'm curious why you moved down to TX at all knowing all these things? Like I said before, most people move for work. Very few people in life have the luxury of just living anywhere they want unless they are very rich or very poor since the job in both cases doesn't matter. I'm always confused by this when people write posts such as yours. I'm sure you are reasonably intelligent and obviously moving across the country is one of the biggest decisions one can make in life. And yes, I'm aware NY is more expensive then Chicago but I assumed you were retired so cost of living there would be less of an issue. Heck I lived in Hoboken, NJ for less rent then I could get in Evanston and I was one path stop away from a city that offers 1000 times more then what Chicago offers. Don't get me wrong, I loved living in Chicago but the weather is much worse there and while the city is very walkable, nothing beats NY. Just my opinion of course. And I know Evanston very well.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:

And btw, all these other things you mentioned are all in Houston as well. Again, I'm constantly confused by people who choose to live in Pearland or any suburb and then complain about the lack of culture and amenities. Hinsdale, IL doesn't have much going on either (a suburb of Chicago). Why did you not live in the loop where you CAN here 15 different languages and go to street festivals and concerts and theater, etc? I'm not trying to pick on you, but you choose to live in suburbia and then compare that with living in a dense urban area like Chicago. At least compare the inner loop of Houston to Chicago. I wouldn't compare the Woodlands with living in the West Village of Manhattan. But I might compare the Woodlands to Briarcliff, NJ. Follow?

Old 12-27-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
And btw, all these other things you mentioned are all in Houston as well. Again, I'm constantly confused by people who choose to live in Pearland or any suburb and then complain about the lack of culture and amenities. Hinsdale, IL doesn't have much going on either (a suburb of Chicago). Why did you not live in the loop where you CAN here 15 different languages and go to street festivals and concerts and theater, etc? I'm not trying to pick on you, but you choose to live in suburbia and then compare that with living in a dense urban area like Chicago. At least compare the inner loop of Houston to Chicago. I wouldn't compare the Woodlands with living in the West Village of Manhattan. But I might compare the Woodlands to Briarcliff, NJ. Follow?
You aren't picking on me. I am simply telling you why I don't like living here and why I would much rather be in the Chicago area. I cannot live in the Loop because we need to be in close proximity to the grandchildren in order to take care of them several times a week and to take my autistic grandson to his therapies.

Evanston, btw, is a suburb, not the city. Evanston is actually the first suburb north of Chicago and Pearland is the first suburb south of Houston. Heck almost all the burbs north of the Chicago area at LEAST have buses within their cities and many connect through the PACE buses to other suburbs. Why should I not compare a suburb here with a suburb there?

I did not choose to move here, but my son and grandchildren are here. We gave that up to help our autistic grandson whose parents were losing their entire support system moving for my son's job. My son and his wife chose Pearland because of his commute to Pasadena. Otherwise, we might be in Sugarland or The Woodlands. I do NOT know if I would like them any better.

Houston is not a dense urban area even IN the city, btw. It is very spread out.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:42 PM

683 posts, read 836,662 times
They like the fact that there is a change (and maybe we can kill off a few mesqitoes). Winter temp in Houston is a true average. 53 for high today 73 in a few days...back and forth. This will last until about the second or third week in Feb (back and forth) then the Gulf will start dominating and we will be back in the gourgeous weather from March-November.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston