Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 05:16 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,771,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
So, did you miss the "10 days per month" comment or the portion of the one article you quoted about moving a couple of miles within SF and it affecting the rainfall totals as much as 20%?

How about "here you go, champ" as a condescending tone, when your numbers did nothing to back up your ludicrous assertion?

I didn't mean to offend you. I was just calling it like I saw it.

OK, let me walk you through this. Ten is an avg right? Say the variance is 5 days. So in any given month you could see 15 days of actual rain. Say there are another 5 or so days where it looks like it's going to rain, but doesn't. To a biker rider, same difference. He knows its the rainy season, why take a chance. That means some months, 20 out of the 30 days of that month he is probably going to not take his bike that day. That's a lot. On the same token there are probably winter months where the rain doesn't come. But the variance allows for an awful lot of rain enough to cause anyone who rides a bike to modify their behavior. To most people, that is going to seem like a lot. Basically 2 out every 3 days and possibly for a 3 month period. There Dal, does that explain things better? Dal, I use to travel out to the Bay area a lot and while I have few data points, there was one winter I was there for 8 days and it rained 8 days straight. Sure, I'm data mining here, but when I was out there almost everyone of my co-workers who worked downtown said, yup, this is the rainy season. Bad luck on my part? Probably. But again, it rains enough to cause one to have a plan B Dec through Feb. I'm not attacking your beloved SF Dal, just stating the facts. Again, 15 or 20 days a month during a high month might not be a big deal to you as apparently driving a very expensive car is par for the course. Different strokes for different folks. But considering that TX had a drought a few years back where we went what, 7 months with no rain, raining 2 out of every 3 days for a few months would feel like a monsoon season.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:29 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,132,959 times
Maybe you two should start your own mutual appreciation thread.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:50 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,137,259 times
How did an average of ten become 15-20 again? Also, you should know that "rain" here is not like in the middle of the country. We do get one or two heavy downpours per winter, but typically, rain comes in fairly light showers and our yearly totals at less than a typical Houston winter. Plus, that 7 month stretch of no rain you talked about- that's every year in SF. April-October will see zero rainfall.

One of your links showed the 10-day forecast for this, the rainy season, and had nothing but sunshine every day. That's as relevant as your experience.

The more typical pattern in winter is a couple of days of rain followed by 3-4 sunny ones. Also, weather systems come in from the Pacific, where there is little to influence or change their track. So the weather is much more predictable here, negating that assumption that a cloudy day means rain is a possibility. It doesn't mean that at all. In fact most "cloudy" days are actually "foggy" days, which have nothing to do with rain. Fog burns off by 10:30 or 11:00, just like clockwork.

One more thing, why are you so obsessed with the car I used to drive? You keep trying to make it look like some kind of character flaw that I used to have a nice car. I find this to be a rather strange psychosis on your part. I merely made an observation that driving a more expensive car than one really needed was an effect of Houston's culture it's a relative statement that applies to you, too. You drive a car that is more expensive than your Chicago transit pass was, right?

I drove what I drove because I like cars and I could comfortably afford it. What's the big deal? In a city like SF, where the car is subject to more street parking and is less fuel efficient or utilitarian, it's more of a liability than an asset. Why is that so hard to understand?

Old 01-11-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
How did an average of ten become 15-20 again? Also, you should know that "rain" here is not like in the middle of the country. We do get one or two heavy downpours per winter, but typically, rain comes in fairly light showers and our yearly totals at less than a typical Houston winter. Plus, that 7 month stretch of no rain you talked about- that's every year in SF. April-October will see zero rainfall.

One of your links showed the 10-day forecast for this, the rainy season, and had nothing but sunshine every day. That's as relevant as your experience.

The more typical pattern in winter is a couple of days of rain followed by 3-4 sunny ones. Also, weather systems come in from the Pacific, where there is little to influence or change their track. So the weather is much more predictable here, negating that assumption that a cloudy day means rain is a possibility. It doesn't mean that at all. In fact most "cloudy" days are actually "foggy" days, which have nothing to do with rain. Fog burns off by 10:30 or 11:00, just like clockwork.

One more thing, why are you so obsessed with the car I used to drive? You keep trying to make it look like some kind of character flaw that I used to have a nice car. I find this to be a rather strange psychosis on your part. I merely made an observation that driving a more expensive car than one really needed was an effect of Houston's culture it's a relative statement that applies to you, too. You drive a car that is more expensive than your Chicago transit pass was, right?

I drove what I drove because I like cars and I could comfortably afford it. What's the big deal? In a city like SF, where the car is subject to more street parking and is less fuel efficient or utilitarian, it's more of a liability than an asset. Why is that so hard to understand?
I'm done arguing the rain with you. I'll be the adult here and hit the stop button. Regarding the car, I was simply making a point that different people have different baselines. Some people in Houston think 75 is hot as hell, others think its cold. It's important to note that as what you perceive to be hardly no rain, could be a lot of rain to someone else. That is all. I'm done here.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:11 PM

Okay, take your ball and go home.

BTW-nobody in Houston thinks 75 is hot as hell. The news even covers those days... Just like they do when we get a good rainfall in San Francisco.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:55 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times
You don't have to argue about the rain and gloom. City Data has data on this...

Houston:

San Francisco:

Old 01-11-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
You don't have to argue about the rain and gloom. City Data has data on this...

Houston:

San Francisco:

Right, so Houston has far more sunny days then SF. I already knew that.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:51 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,545,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Are people really that soft nowadays?
I think the correct word is heavy.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:14 PM

No, you misread the data again, numbers guy.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:17 PM

101 posts, read 128,052 times
Wot? SF has more clear days than Houston?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston