Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2013, 09:50 AM

102 posts, read 237,612 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm looking for personal feedback on the elementary schools in Greatwood (Dickinson and Campbell). Please don't respond that "Fort Bend ISD is more desirable than Lamar CISD," I'm already aware that's a popular opinion but really just interested in actual personal experience with the community/schools. I have to say the online reviews (like greatschools . com, etc.) are few and far-between and not really helpful, however in viewing the community's online newsletters, the schools seem very active and involved in the neighborhood.

Looking for feedback on parent involvement, teachers, administration, arts, extracurriculars, discipline (issues and handling), and so forth. Also I think I read somewhere that there is a basic uniform like polos and khakis or something?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 03:57 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,663,685 times
I have a friend whose sons go to Dickinson and they love it. Her boys are in K and 4th grade.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:14 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,916,214 times
As one of FIVE children in my family to go through Dickinson Elementary from 1993 - 2007, I feel I can adequately comment on this subject.

Dickinson and Campbell both pull exclusively from the Greatwood subdivision and serve grades Kindergarten thru 5th grade.

Lamar Consolidated Independent School District - District Map

Lamar Consolidated Independent School District - School Listing

They are both part of the growing Lamar Consolidated School district and funnel into the George Ranch campuses (Reading for 6th - 8th (until the 6th grade campus is built, then that will be a standalone campus while Reading Jr High will have solely 7th and 8th graders) and George Ranch HS for 9th thru 12th). LCISD gets a bad rap from people who don't know any better - they think of LCISD as a behind the times, slightly ghetto, blue collar & farm school district. While various high schools pull from a range of socio-economic areas, academically they are outstanding and provide unique opportunities for those that attend. The fight to be in the top 10% of your graduating high school class (for college admission purposes) is somewhat easier in LCISD without sacrificing the overall quality of the students' education. Also, LCISD is committed to keeping its high schools in 4A (roughly 1500 - 2000 student enrollment), which provide opportunities in athletics that may not otherwise be as accessible in their 5A FBISD counterparts. In addition, George Ranch is probably best or a close 2nd academically behind Foster (this is coming from a Lamar HS grad, mind you) and less "ghetto", if you buy into that sort of thing.

Both schools are recognized/exemplary elementary schools (depending upon the year and their respective test scores).

Both schools have the same dress code (simple uniforms - polo shirts and slacks, and I believe maybe a few "casual" days where they can wear jeans and their respective school's t-shirts, though I imagine this may have expanded since my days there).

Both schools have amazing teachers, many of whom have been in the district for years (several teachers that were teaching while I attended through 2000 are still there), so I figure they must enjoy and care about their jobs and the students.

There are a few marginal differences between the two that may be factual or purely based on perception, but from what I have observed (having lived in both the "front" (read: "old") of Greatwood and "back" (read: "new") of Greatwood), those differences probably have more to do with the parents and their age than the administrations themselves.

I feel that both schools go to great lengths to support both the arts and physical activity with their staff and programs, and make it a point to be very involved in the community and finding ways for the community to be involved in the school.

Discipline - I don't have much experience on this, as the only time I spent in the principle's office was when my bike was stolen in 4th grade because I didn't have the sense to utilize a bike lock. As far as I recall it's the pretty standard "change your color / flip your card / move your clothespin from green - yellow - orange - red" in-classroom discipline process, with orange sending a note home to the parent and red a visit to the principle (rarely). I mean, they aren't using the paddle or anything.

What you have most likely perceived from the schools' newsletters is true - these two schools care about the well-being and development of your children.

Last edited by NTexas2010; 01-14-2013 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: More information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston