Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 10:47 PM

2 posts, read 19,207 times

Advertisements

I recently tried to move into an apartment only to be turned down because of an eviction on my record. I found this odd because I have always lived with my parents. Well it turns out that we were evicted from the last place that we lived. My name was on the lease because I was over the age of 18, but the lease was expired at the time of the eviction. Also, I was not informed about the eviction by anyone involved (parents, landlord, or court). If I hadn't tried to move I still might not know. So now I'm trying to find out if I can clear my record. I'd like to move out of my parents' house. Does anyone know if I can fight this? Or am I simply screwed?

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 06:45 AM

1,290 posts, read 5,438,293 times
There is no reason to put an 18 year old child on a lease unless your parents already had terrible credit and they needed additional credit to get the lease signed. You may want to check all your credit history to see if there is any other damage.

If you were over 18 and signed the lease that you were evicted from, you are most likely SOL.

You can attempt to file a case with all three credit agencies to get that history removed, but I'm not sure you will be successful.

Follow up question: do you have a monetary judgement against you from the landlords?

Old 01-14-2013, 10:28 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,487,609 times
A couple of years ago, a friend of mine wanted to clean her credit report, and since I know a thing or two about it, I did it for her. She had at least on collection from a broken lease on there. It might have been 2, though. I forgot. I think it was about 3 years old. The broken lease entry was the easiest one. I simply disputed it and they removed it.
2 years ago, I used the wrong check to pay my rent. I never used the account and there was no money in there, so the check bounced. When I moved out, they had no record of it anymore, because they sold the apartment to a different company and the management changed.
Anyway, if you dispute it, you gotta be careful what you put down, like, the reason you are disputing it. They categorize the disputes and if you put down the wrong reason, they won't really check. Send me a PM if you like. I think I still got the link to the forum somewhere where they tell you what to put down.

By the way, there was no judgement against her. If you do, then that's a different story.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:39 AM

2 posts, read 19,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leb32 View Post
I recently tried to move into an apartment only to be turned down because of an eviction on my record. I found this odd because I have always lived with my parents. Well it turns out that we were evicted from the last place that we lived. My name was on the lease because I was over the age of 18, but the lease was expired at the time of the eviction. Also, I was not informed about the eviction by anyone involved (parents, landlord, or court). If I hadn't tried to move I still might not know. So now I'm trying to find out if I can clear my record. I'd like to move out of my parents' house. Does anyone know if I can fight this? Or am I simply screwed?

Thank you in advance.

WOW, I am in the eviction game and I do not know the answer to this. I have always just been concerned with getting the info on the report. I am sure there is a way, I would contact a credit repair company. A lawyer will cost to much $$$$.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:50 PM

148 posts, read 403,271 times
Speaking from experience...if you had no idea you were on your parents lease I would run your credit report. My bf's parents used his credit w/o him knowing until I ran his. Needless to say they screwed him without knowing.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:47 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wclanton423 View Post
Speaking from experience...if you had no idea you were on your parents lease I would run your credit report. My bf's parents used his credit w/o him knowing until I ran his. Needless to say they screwed him without knowing.
I had a client whose parents did this to her. She was told she had to file charges on them in order to get it removed. I don't know whether they told her the truth or not.

To the OP: I do know that some apartment/landlords require credit/background check to be run on anyone over 18 that occupies the property. However, if you were just on the lease and did not sign it, I don't know how they could add that to your credit.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:39 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,859,948 times
Wow. A lot of bad parents out there. I'll be sure to do something special for my parents on Mother's Day and Father's Day for not wrecking my credit.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:59 PM

270 posts, read 406,110 times
You can absolutely repair your credit, just takes some patience, paperwork, and some googling. You are not legally accountable for a lease that you did not sign, whether or not you lived there.

If your parents signed your name to the lease (as I suspect they did), you are the victim of identity theft and fraud. By federal law you can pull a copy of your credit report from all 3 bureaus (Experian, Equifax, Transunion), for free, once per year. At each site their are instructions on how to dispute an item (with Experian, for example, you can do it online).

You will likely need to provide a police report number for the identity theft (you can do those online in Houston) and an FTC affidavit of fraud (you can find that form online). If you are the victim of theft, and you file those reports, the credit bureaus must remove the item.

You will have to name your parents as suspected perpetrators. Yes, that sucks - but it also sucks that they used and then wrecked your credit. If it makes you feel better, I can absolutely guarantee HPD will not followup on the report. They have bigger fish to fry.

For any correspondence you have with the credit agencies - make sure you do it all in writing and keep records. It just takes some persistence but provided that you did nothing wrong, you will get it off your credit report although it may take 2 or 3 months. Take care of it now and make sure you verify on your report they didn't open up some credit cards as well.

If you signed the lease and were over 18 - you are equally responsible and SOL.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:09 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,487,609 times
This dosen't have anything to do with "bad parents". If you got kids, then you need a place to stay. If your children's credit may help, anybody would do this. Want to sleep on the street? No. Of course things can go bad then and it will affect the children's credit report. Many people had good intentions, but if things go bad, they will go bad for everybody.

And people need to quit saying that he's "SOL". As I've been able to remove it. If there's no judgment. I'd even say it's somewhat likely that it can be removed after some time has passed.

Also, Experian only does it online. It's a pain in the ass to find the actual address you can send it to. Once, I even called and they wouldn't give me the address - claiming it can only be done online. You got to search for the address online. It's in Allen, Tx, if I remember correctly, and they will take it.

As mentioned above, the reason you give them is important. If you choose "it's not mine" from the menu, they will simply put it in that category, ask the source if your name is on it, and then it's "solved". You should choose "other" and put down a good reason ( which can be found online), because they, then, can't categorize it and have to actually do some work. Been there, done that.
The credit bureaus usually don't give a ****. I just gotta put it like this. You got to put up a fight.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:03 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,859,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
This dosen't have anything to do with "bad parents". If you got kids, then you need a place to stay. If your children's credit may help, anybody would do this. Want to sleep on the street? No. Of course things can go bad then and it will affect the children's credit report. Many people had good intentions, but if things go bad, they will go bad for everybody.

And people need to quit saying that he's "SOL". As I've been able to remove it. If there's no judgment. I'd even say it's somewhat likely that it can be removed after some time has passed.

Also, Experian only does it online. It's a pain in the ass to find the actual address you can send it to. Once, I even called and they wouldn't give me the address - claiming it can only be done online. You got to search for the address online. It's in Allen, Tx, if I remember correctly, and they will take it.

As mentioned above, the reason you give them is important. If you choose "it's not mine" from the menu, they will simply put it in that category, ask the source if your name is on it, and then it's "solved". You should choose "other" and put down a good reason ( which can be found online), because they, then, can't categorize it and have to actually do some work. Been there, done that.
The credit bureaus usually don't give a ****. I just gotta put it like this. You got to put up a fight.
Not true. A good parent would do whatever it takes to help their child fix the damage they did to their credit. From what I'm reading these parents ruined their children's credit and did nothing to help them out of the hole they put them in. The OP said he was never informed about the eviction (including from his parents). Wclanton stated that her bf was never told by his parents that his parents used his credit and then ruined it.

It may be true that a good parent would have to use their child's credit to save their home but a good parent would also make sure they help their child out to improve their credit. A bad parent would ruin their child's credit and then let them fix the mess on their own. I'd say that makes them scum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: