Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 07:15 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,132,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
Flying roaches? What the heck are those? Seriously?
https://www.google.com/search?q=palm...w=1172&bih=723

Thankfully I've only seen a few in my house so far.

But I haven't seen these here yet so I'm happy

https://www.google.com/search?q=silk...w=1172&bih=723

Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 09:12 AM

561 posts, read 972,563 times
Quote:
Does Chicago have NASA?

I'll take NASA over a theme park any day. But then again, I'm not 12 years old.

I went to college in Gainesville,FL. Ninety minutes from the theme park capital of the world. In 3 years I went one time and that was with some friends to a Halloween event at Universal Studios.
Perhaps the reason you dislike theme parks might be that you grew up near so many.

But trust me once you take a NASA tour, you dont need to see it again. I've taken family to NASA and they found it to be somewhat of a bore. And they aren't 12 years old. Granted they were younger (20 to 35 group) and they didnt find it worth the trip nor the cost.

But for some people that are older (50+ maybe?) or a bit more boring people might find NASA a wild'n good time.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
I think it has downright awesome weather for 6-8 months of the year. My opinion.
It seems you are very negative here and don't have anything good to say about anyone else's opinions. Others' opinions and experiences may be different from yours but that doesn't mean they're wrong.
The person compared LegoLand and Sea world to a museum and a zoo... I was just trying to focus the conversation on comparing "apples to apples".

And I didn't mean to demean the person, but what they said.

I agree the weather in Houston is great 6 months. And somewhat very hot, humid and uncomfortable for the remaining of the year.
But the hot nasty weather starts in mid-March and doesn't stop until mid-September.

All people are entitled to their opinions, and no opinions are necessarily wrong. However, there are opinions that are plausible and there are opinions that aren't.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:00 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,448,062 times
Quote:
Flying roaches? What the heck are those? Seriously?
They loved creeping into my garage!

What Kind of Roaches Fly? | eHow.com

Old 02-02-2013, 06:36 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
Quote:
Why would anyone move to a desert in CA? Millions of people do. It's hot, flat, ugly, dry, boring, ugly (mentioned twice), hot (also mentioned twice). The CA desert makes Sugarland look like Hawaii!
The desert is beautiful in its own way. And in California they have hills and vegetation. A prairie with suburban sprawl built on it... nope.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:00 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDFP View Post
Monster Jam was two weeks ago and there's another one in February, the Houston Auto show is on this weekend, the Houston Arboretum is having a free family day too with live owls for the kids to see. The Rockets are playing Sat night for $10 a ticket (worth more? likely not!) Lady Gaga is playing next weekend. We really like crawling all over the USS Texas, ok me especially, and at some point I would like to kayak down the Buffalo Bayou although not sure I'd do the tour or just do it.

Sometimes I just like taking the kids out exploring - I google map Houston and look a park or something we haven't been to before and check it out but they're young so easily amused. That's how I found a frisbee golf park just of Beltway 8, pretty cool. Not to mention with the great weather this weekend there were FOUR frisbee football games going on at the same time at Bendwood Park.

No wonder I haven't gotten around to taking up tennis at the local club...

It's a city of 6.2M, how hard can it be??
Excelllent.

Give them one of those cheap 35mm throwaways - or digitals. Head out on a Saturday or Sunday and take pictures of Houston's oddities. Put photos in an album. I did that with both sons - and all visiting relatives under 18 - they all loved it and still talk about it. You may have to do a little research first. If you want to do this, PM me for ideas.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:17 AM

25 posts, read 64,997 times
Default CA relocated to TX (The Woodlands)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshRall View Post
But The Woodlands is NOT in Houston metro area. So this comparison is off. If I could live in Woodlands but work in Houston, I will enjoy Houston as well.
As a native CA I have to say it is a MAJOR adjustment if you have children between 13-18 who were used to going to the beach for free fun and enjoy breathing crisp air 80% of the time...with that said I do agree The Woodlands is NOT Houston and therefore highly recommend living here in this pretend world. Ive been here 2 yrs now and rarely leave unless I have to and quite fraqnkly Im fine with that. My kids go to Cath school and I am not sure where they'll go for high school even though the school we're attached to is absolutely stunning~ it comes with kids driving H2 and BMW (not that theres anything wrong with that ) and not immune to big city issues for certain. Its just an easier transition from CA to Houston outskirts and as a Californian I am sure you've done your share of driving/commuting. My husband works in Texas City all the way to Galveston and says he's never had the traffic San Diego or LA "offers" ~ he does use the toll road religiously.

Um, what else...all I can say is we think different here even if you arent a full on liberal and maybe in the middle. Our middle is their lib. Our conservative is their lib. ijs

Old 02-04-2013, 08:24 AM

25 posts, read 64,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
OMG you're back in the H-Town that you loath so much
Wow I can't imagine that you would ever consider moving back there after the flame wars you had with me for cheerleading Houston and you just bashing it
I guess the grass was not so much greener in Hawaii.

Anyway OP I am the reverse of your situation (meaning I moved to CA from TX) and I think the things that will stand out right away to you are the following (in no particular order)

Kind people
No State Income Tax
No SDI Tax
No large vehicle registration fees year after year
Much Lower COL
Humid and Hot when the summer rolls around
Outstanding Top Quality Restaurant Scene
Not a backwards place as most Californians that have no clue about TX think
You can use your cell phone while driving unless you are in a school zone...but don't use it if you are one of those who can't chew gum and tie your shoe strings at the same time!
Fast Impatient Drivers...but no different than what you see in CA.
Less government control over your life
Death penalty is actually enforced
Over all more financial freedom
Better Economy
Outstanding Texas Medical Center
Culturally Diverse
Unions do not control the State government!!!!!!
Bill Boards
No quality public transit system
Misquotes
Flying Roaches
No compost or recycling bins
Dealing with the DMV is worse only in the fact that you can't make an appointment...just get there early!

No nature
Agree with all *except* "kind people" ~ Absolutely rude drivers, very misogynistic views and racism is quite prevalent here which really shocked me coming from CA I though everyone would be kind. Not the case. Very cliquey ~ Youre a Texan or youre out.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:30 AM

418 posts, read 742,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8tvCA View Post
Agree with all *except* "kind people" ~ Absolutely rude drivers, very misogynistic views and racism is quite prevalent here which really shocked me coming from CA I though everyone would be kind. Not the case. Very cliquey ~ Youre a Texan or youre out.
Careful before you judge. Those "rude drivers" are most likely transplants.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8tvCA View Post
As a native CA I have to say it is a MAJOR adjustment if you have children between 13-18 who were used to going to the beach for free fun and enjoy breathing crisp air 80% of the time...with that said I do agree The Woodlands is NOT Houston and therefore highly recommend living here in this pretend world. Ive been here 2 yrs now and rarely leave unless I have to and quite fraqnkly Im fine with that. My kids go to Cath school and I am not sure where they'll go for high school even though the school we're attached to is absolutely stunning~ it comes with kids driving H2 and BMW (not that theres anything wrong with that ) and not immune to big city issues for certain. Its just an easier transition from CA to Houston outskirts and as a Californian I am sure you've done your share of driving/commuting. My husband works in Texas City all the way to Galveston and says he's never had the traffic San Diego or LA "offers" ~ he does use the toll road religiously.

Um, what else...all I can say is we think different here even if you arent a full on liberal and maybe in the middle. Our middle is their lib. Our conservative is their lib. ijs
You're Husband drives from The Woodlands all the way to Texas City/Galveston?? I feel so sorry for the guy. How long does it take him to get him to and from work? Better yet how many miles per day is he putting on that car?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston