Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 05:52 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,538,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith View Post
Sorry, what I mean in similar location, within 2-3 miles, not compare one in downtown, and one is not.
Ok, but I'm referring to a neighborhoods outside the Beltway in the EC to Cinco. Tract housing built in 180 days or less, is not an investment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 07:13 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,865,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
Thank you for all of your replies. We'll be heading to Houston next weekend for a 4-day recon trip just to get a feel for the different areas, so we want the trip to be most effective.

I've spent the better part of this weekend researching Houston real estate and am more confused than before, so any clarity or perspective is appreciated. Certain areas of Houston, such as West University, Bellaire, and Memorial have seen prices skyrocket in the recent past, but other areas, such as the West Oaks area where I'll be working, have declined. How do you spot the future winners from the future losers?

Houston appears to be growing and growing fast, so I expect the Houston in 4-6 years to be different from the Houston of today.

From the comments above and from my own research, we are planning to check out at least the following areas in our recon trip:
1. Katy - Cinco Ranch
2. Katy - Other non-Cinco Ranch areas
3. West Memorial (the ones zoned to Stratford H.S.)
4. Sugar Land - Telfair or Riverstone?
5. Meyerland

What are your thoughts on the above areas? Are there any additional areas you recommend? Again, the primary goal is to maximize appreciation over the next 4-6 years.
Closer in (Meyerland and then W Memorial) will probably appreciate faster than the others, but that doesn't mean it's the best for you if you have to live there for up to 6 years. You want to make sure that you enjoy the house, the area, neighbors, etc. as well unless this is nothing more than a flip house for you. Also I don't know where you're coming from, but the lack of zoning in Houston proper, especially around Meyerland and parts central, may shock you. Some of it's quite unsightly. Even W Memorial area has some horrid looking strip centers and similar along I-10 and other large roads. Cinco in Katy is part of Houston ETJ but still much more "pleasant" looking being a planned community. Sugar Land is an actual city with its own zoning and rules, and being in an MPC on top of that means it's really hard to find anything unsightly looking and everything is kept up really well.

I work just north of the West Oaks area and commute from the northern Sugar Land area. It's no freeways and about 20 minutes unless there's a wreck, traffic light out or bad weather. I wouldn't want to commute to West Oaks, the Energy Corridor, etc. from Riverstone because it's far south in Sugar Land and also it's huge (so unless you live at the edge of the subdivision, it will take a while to get out.) Between those two, I'd take Telfair also because Telfair's almost built-out and Riverstone still has a ways to go. Also look at New Territory.

So for your suburban options, I'd go with Sugar Land areas north of Hwy 59/near Hwy 90, or the Cinco areas of Katy (the established Cinco areas, not the far west ones still building). For the other options, W Memorial seems it would be a better commute than Meyerland.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:42 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,885,393 times
Memorial seems like the best neighborhood to move into. I would pick it over Cinco Ranch. Memorial is pretty exclusive and unique which makes it highly desirable. Cinco Ranch looks like all the other suburban communities all across Houston. No one is really dying to get into Cinco Ranch because they can find the exact kind of community in Kingwood, The Woodlands, Cypress, Sugar Land, and Pearland.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:42 AM

241 posts, read 586,709 times
I live in Cinco Ranch and it is a great place to live with an excellent quality of life. Our neighbors are friendly, the area is safe and attractive with loads of amenities, and we have easy access to the attractions of Houston. My house to the West Oaks mall is about a 10-15 minute drive through a pretty park.

As far as appreciation, we bought in late 2009 for $395K and based on what houses in the neighborhood are selling for now we could easily get $450K+, so I am pleased with the appreciation. I don't know if this is typical.

The prior poster suggested Memorial which is a beautiful area but is probably going to be out of your price range for all the dinkiest, oldest houses. You will get a nice house in Cinco in the $350-400K range.

Good luck!

Old 01-21-2013, 07:39 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,419,330 times
Default Zip Code that I picked

The first zip code that I will recommend to you is 77094. This area is good for your price range. It also has excellent schools and the houses are a bit newer. I think 77042 North of Briar Forest, 77077 will also appreciate but is a little below your price range and the schools are not the best. Other Zip codes are 77450 and of course 77079.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:12 PM

246 posts, read 896,555 times
Cinco ranch to West Oaks mall is only 10-15 mins.

I think it takes more time, like half hours, if you live at CR southwest. Where are you living? 77494 or 77450?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysflyin View Post
I live in Cinco Ranch and it is a great place to live with an excellent quality of life. Our neighbors are friendly, the area is safe and attractive with loads of amenities, and we have easy access to the attractions of Houston. My house to the West Oaks mall is about a 10-15 minute drive through a pretty park.

As far as appreciation, we bought in late 2009 for $395K and based on what houses in the neighborhood are selling for now we could easily get $450K+, so I am pleased with the appreciation. I don't know if this is typical.

The prior poster suggested Memorial which is a beautiful area but is probably going to be out of your price range for all the dinkiest, oldest houses. You will get a nice house in Cinco in the $350-400K range.

Good luck!

Old 01-21-2013, 10:19 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,419,330 times
Default 77094

Just to clarify, the one Zip code that I think will appreciate the most out of all of those is 77094. The homes are newer like in Cinco Ranch etc. but it is much closer in and a very easy commute to the energy corridor. To be clear this would be my top pick. Green Trails is the name of the subdivision. If I was working with a 350K budget and worried about appreciation that is where I would chose. You could probably even get like a 4000 sq ft. home that was built in the mid 90's. Heck that's the same that they would charge you for the same size home way, way out on the 1093.

Last edited by jd433; 01-21-2013 at 10:30 PM..

Old 01-22-2013, 09:58 AM

241 posts, read 586,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith View Post
Cinco ranch to West Oaks mall is only 10-15 mins.

I think it takes more time, like half hours, if you live at CR southwest. Where are you living? 77494 or 77450?
I live at the corner of Mason and Westheimer in the Shadow Bend subdivision. It is about a minute from my garage to Westheimer.

I agree--it could take a lot longer from another area! Should have made that more clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston