Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 01:53 PM

1 posts, read 7,601 times

Advertisements

Hi Katie,
Saw your message in city-data on admissions to Kinkaid & St. John's. My daughter is trying for the same schools and had similar scores to your daughter. What school did your daughter finally end up at and does she like where she is? Would you recommend the school to others?
Thanks,
K. Ram
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 07:30 AM

914 posts, read 1,832,042 times
I sent Kay Ram a private message with more detailed info. My daughter is at Kinkaid and is very happy there.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:17 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
Just a heads up - Colleges do this exact same thing...Even the best of the best colleges....life is unfair when it comes to school admissions. Its even more unfair if you happen to be a white male. "Diversity" is denying qualified white males places at every school in the US every single day. The playing field is NEVER completely level - its always being tilted in the direction that the school is looking to go, or in some cases required to go.
I know it's an old post, but in terms of college admissions it's Asian females who are the most disadvantaged.

Being female in general (not in terms of STEM) is a disadvantage over being a male because there are more women than men in colleges and they don't want the gender imbalance to be too out of whack.
Being Asian is a disadvantage in admissions since proportionally more Asians qualify. Whites are less disadvantaged than Asians, and the Hispanics, Blacks, and Native Americans benefit from Affirmative action.

Old 03-15-2016, 07:13 AM

7 posts, read 28,853 times
Hello,

I am just treading this thread. My daughter will be entering the 6th grade has been waitlisted for kinkaid and Awty this year. She got accepted in ROBS and The Village school. Our first choice is Kinkaid. Does anyone have any insight on how long their wait lists are? Or is there any one who got accepted after getting wait listed. Is there anything we can do to help this situation??
I would really any sort of feedback. Thanks!!

Reading this whole there was somewhat comforting knowing that there are other parents out there that understand that frustration and helplessness or being waitlisted.

Old 03-15-2016, 07:20 AM

Hello Katie,
Since your daughter goes to school at the Kinkaid school, would you by any chance know how their wait lists work??

Old 03-19-2016, 12:22 PM

399 posts, read 641,504 times
I do not have specific information about Kinkaids WL but can tell you from experience with another coveted school that their WL was not set in any specific order. They basically reevaluated everyone on the WL when a spot becomes available to place a similar child (sex and temperament) in that spot. They also tend to replace a legacy with legacy and non-legacy with non-legacy. I would not turn ROB down. When is the first deposit due for and then the full tuition amount due ROB? I would pay the deposit when deadline hits and wait to hear from Kinkaid. You are likely to see some movement when the first deposit is due for Kinkaid and then when the full tuition is due. Village is a good school but I hear it is very transient since many families are international and move often. Also you always have another shot at Kinkaid for 9th if your child does not make it off the WL for 6th. Best of luck... I too know how stressful this can be.

Old 03-20-2016, 02:35 PM

914 posts, read 1,832,042 times
SD6835, I do not know anything about how the Kinkaid wait list works. I do know that most years there are a few admitted students that turn down Kinkaid in favor of other schools. A few slots may open right after the first deposit deadline. My daughter went to ROBS and loved it. She applied to Kinkaid for 9th and was admitted. Texasroots77 has good advice.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:33 PM

509 posts, read 734,874 times
The Village school has a very good academic reputation, and they have the advantage of going through 12th grade (ROBS does not). However, you'd have to be on board with the whole international emphasis they put on everything. It seems like they have been trying to become another Awty ever since the school was sold several years back.

I will also say that the average SAT scores for these first several classes at Village have been somewhat disappointing (not up to Kinkaid levels yet). The high school has not yet lived up to the academic reputation of the lower school. I would expect to see those scores gradually improve over time.

Old 03-20-2016, 05:57 PM

8 posts, read 20,152 times
This year there were record applicants. High 7's and 8's on waitlist may have a chance. The schools inform parents only if the child clears the waitlist, so the wait is agonizing. However if one does not hear within first 2 weeks of initial decision the chances diminish.

The Village college placements have been good which is what counts in the end. Congratulations !

Old 04-08-2016, 10:14 PM

Thank you all for your reply.
We are now deciding between ROBS and AWTY. We are leaning more towards Awty because it has no religious affiliations plus we are pretty impressed with the IB program in high school. Even the middle school's curriculam claims to be very rigorous. ROBS looks a very sophisticated school with an academeically challenging curriculum... almost like a mini Kinkaid. ROBS only goes till middle school plus it felt like there was not much diversity.

ANY HELP OR OPINION WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! We are pretty torn! We have put the holding deposit on both the schools. Need to decide soon though.

Thank you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston