Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 07:27 AM

914 posts, read 1,831,815 times

Advertisements

My daughter made a 145 on the OLSAT, has straight As and made a 9, 8, 8, and 8 stanine on the ISEE. We are not legacies. She is the editor of the yearbook and president of the choir. What are the chances she will get into either St. John's or Kinkaid for 9th grade?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 11:26 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,228,136 times
Slim. SJS has a 15-20% admission percentage. Even if you exclude the 50% who aren't qualified, that still means over half of the really really great kids who should get in, won't. Sadly, it's a numbers game. Too many great kids and simply not enough space.

Good luck! Sounds like a great kid. I'm sure she will do well wherever she ends up, SJS or not.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:56 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,264,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKennedy View Post
My daughter made a 145 on the OLSAT, has straight As and made a 9, 8, 8, and 8 stanine on the ISEE. We are not legacies. She is the editor of the yearbook and president of the choir. What are the chances she will get into either St. John's or Kinkaid for 9th grade?
What type of donation are you making? I've heard rumors that St. John's is looking for a new parking garage...It could be the KatieKennedy Campus Garage!

I am of course kidding, but I do believe that donations grease the wheels.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:15 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,900,944 times
The private schools want the right mix just like colleges, and sometimes there are kids who leave private for public when starting HS (sports visibility, less difficult to get high grades for college admission, etc). For a bright/active kid, I would never say never - - but have fall-backs.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:37 AM

4 posts, read 34,026 times
Don't be AT ALL discouraged! No harm in applying! Good luck!

Old 01-23-2013, 12:39 AM

4 posts, read 34,026 times
Your daughter will shine where ever she lands!

Old 01-23-2013, 07:51 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,493,463 times
^^Ditto on what Molly said.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:12 PM

8 posts, read 25,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Slim. SJS has a 15-20% admission percentage. Even if you exclude the 50% who aren't qualified, that still means over half of the really really great kids who should get in, won't. Sadly, it's a numbers game. Too many great kids and simply not enough space.

Good luck! Sounds like a great kid. I'm sure she will do well wherever she ends up, SJS or not.
Why do you say slim? Sounds like a super kid. I do agree it will be tough, and 9th grade is probably the most difficult to enter (shoud have started in 6th); but slim?

What else does she bring to the table. That school (SJS) can afford to pick who they want and when they want. Therefore, the kid has to shine pretty bright and grades along will not do it (not there). The vast majority of the kids there are bright, athletic, and generally go-getters. A bulk can play string instruments, sing in the choir, read a bunch --- I mean really read, one of the kids I know could fill a wing of your local library with the books he has read --- get good grades all while keeping that St John's smirk on their faces.

So I ask, does she pack a wallop?

Old 01-25-2013, 07:42 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,228,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crjones9 View Post
Why do you say slim?
What do you call a school that has a 15-20% admission percentage? I call it slim.

Do you think the 15% that get in are great kids, and the 85% they turned down were unqualified? Sadly no. A huge percent of the 85% are fantastic kids who just get caught in the numbers game.

There are about 125 kids in the 9th grade (or were when my kids went there--may have changed over the years). That means hundreds and hundreds applied for those spots. Some may have been out of their league, but others were probably great candidates. But when you have 5 or 6 great kids for each spot, there is going to be disappointment.

Again, good luck! molly sky said it best

Old 01-26-2013, 08:55 PM

110 posts, read 280,534 times
Kinkaid would be far easier to get into than SJS. Like others have said, SJS is very tough, especially 9th grade. Donations won't do anything for you at SJS either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston