Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 02:36 PM

913 posts, read 4,344,612 times

Advertisements

Just an FYI, one homeowner to another. I was wondering if there is some sort of DIY (Do-It Yourself) classes in Houston. I found LLU (Leisure Learning Unlimited), that does some house improvement classes. But not many.

Leisure Learning Unlimited | Adult/Continuing Education Classes In Houston

Now I found Let's Fix It Workshops. And they teach how to do things around the house (electrical, plumbing, walls, power tools). And I am really loving them.

Lets Fix It Workshops » Teaching YOU How!

I just went to my first workshop with them (How to repair a drywall) and just wanted to share it with you. The workshop is awesome. Very useful. I got plenty of information on how to repair holes, large and small. I got to do it all myself. Now I am pretty confident I could replace the whole wall in one room and it could be cheaper than paying someone.

If you don't want to spend your $1000s on things like replacing sheetrock walls, texture/paint - which is easy. Or things like fixing your toilet/plumbing/faucet. Or things like basic electrical, etc. - these workshops would help to you learn how to do it yourself. Or at least to make sure your contractor is not cutting any corners and fooling you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 02:45 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,494,886 times
Thanks, that's a good hobby. I think HD and Lowes have occasional seminars on certain topics, don't they?

Old 08-04-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonfan View Post
Thanks, that's a good hobby. I think HD and Lowes have occasional seminars on certain topics, don't they?
I think they do. But they are not as elaborate and solution oriented as actual DIY classes. I believe they also take just an hour, that's why they are free. And I doubt HD would actually let you have hands-on experience in something "dirty" like patching the wall or plumbing.

These classes are 2-3 hours each.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:07 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behtypa View Post
Just an FYI, one homeowner to another. I was wondering if there is some sort of DIY (Do-It Yourself) classes in Houston. I found LLU (Leisure Learning Unlimited), that does some house improvement classes. But not many.

Now I found Let's Fix It Workshops. And they teach how to do things around the house (electrical, plumbing, walls, power tools). And I am really loving them.

I just went to my first workshop with them (How to repair a drywall) and just wanted to share it with you. The workshop is awesome. Very useful. I got plenty of information on how to repair holes, large and small. I got to do it all myself. Now I am pretty confident I could replace the whole wall in one room and it could be cheaper than paying someone.

If you don't want to spend your $1000s on things like replacing sheetrock walls, texture/paint - which is easy. Or things like fixing your toilet/plumbing/faucet. Or things like basic electrical, etc. - these workshops would help to you learn how to do it yourself. Or at least to make sure your contractor is not cutting any corners and fooling you.
Awesome! The better half got us a group on to try 'let's fix it' since we are experiencing the joys of new home ownership, along with the need to repair stuff. Neither of us is very handy. Thanks for posting this review.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:35 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,792,835 times
AWESOME and thanks for sharing. I can fix many things around the house and yet so many other things to learn. But never learned how fix the drywall and I think I have a small job coming soon in my house

Quote:
Originally Posted by behtypa View Post

Old 09-18-2012, 09:45 AM

I went to a few more of the "Let's Fif It" classes now and I will repeat again, that these are the best skills/DIY classes I have ever been to. So worth every penny spent!

Old 09-18-2012, 10:23 AM

70 posts, read 230,737 times
Thanks for sharing. As a transplant from a mega-city in a country where we hired people to do everything, my new life with an older home is a constant challenge !

Old 10-07-2012, 05:47 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,132,383 times
I went to the drywall class yesterday based on this recommendation. I have some old intercoms to take out of a few walls and I had no idea how to patch the holes. It was great! Teddy had premade small sections of wall, we took a hammer and bashed a hole in it, then fixed it, textured it, and painted it. It took the whole 3 hours but once we were done, everyones 'wall' looked good as new. Only four of us, three guys, one gal, so real one on one time. Now I have the confidence to tackle any drywall task let alone the hole there now. Thinking of sheetrocking the garage!

Old 10-07-2012, 08:12 AM

2,465 posts, read 5,792,835 times
Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfp View Post
i went to the drywall class yesterday based on this recommendation. I have some old intercoms to take out of a few walls and i had no idea how to patch the holes. It was great! Teddy had premade small sections of wall, we took a hammer and bashed a hole in it, then fixed it, textured it, and painted it. It took the whole 3 hours but once we were done, everyones 'wall' looked good as new. Only four of us, three guys, one gal, so real one on one time. Now i have the confidence to tackle any drywall task let alone the hole there now. Thinking of sheetrocking the garage!

Old 02-11-2013, 08:40 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times
Just had to bump this. After rescheduling, we finally made it to the basic home maintenance class. The presenter was great. He went way over time answering everyone's questions. Never rushed or hurried. I am planning to go to more of the classes even though it is on the other side of the galaxy from where we live. The power tools class looks great. I haven't dealt with power tools since jr high shop days. My Dad used to fix almost everything around the house, so he will be happy to hear this.

Do be aware the class is in kind of a weird spot. It's in a small office park which is not what we were expecting to look for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: