Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 04:35 PM

7 posts, read 14,903 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I recently moved from California to Houston with my special needs kid. I got a job offer to come down here and work ata location right off the 610 loop.... at the time I thought it was a good idea because of the cheaper cost of living compared to california but I am now regretting my decision to move. My son has high functioning autism and he and I are having a hard time adjusting to the school district here. We currently live in area code 77042 between Wilcrest and Briar forest and the school we are zoned to is not a good one in my opinion. We are having a really hard time adjusting to how they do things here in the schools and I am wondering if I should move back to California. Everyday my son comes home and tells me that all his teacher does is yell all day at the kids and slams her hand on her desk. He is mainstreamed in a general ed class. I have asked the principal about this but nothing has been done about it. They also do not have an independent reading time which is something my son enjoyed at his school in California. There are more things that are happening but I can't type everything out at this time, I'm just really worried. I really like Houston and would like to live here but I don't like being worried about my son all day while he is at school. Anybody got any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 05:41 PM

427 posts, read 947,779 times
Private school.

Mainstream schools aren't truly geared for special needs children. What grade?

Old 03-05-2013, 06:08 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,083 times
I would suggest private school if you can afford it. Have you considered putting him in the special education program in his school? Could you talk with the teacher about how she is running her classroom? Ask her why does she believe that your son isn't enjoying her class. I would also ask her what can you and your son do to make sure that he can feel comfortable in the classroom.

I'm not sure how the HISD special education department works; but I know that in the metro-Atlanta area, those who are highly-functining autistics or have a learning disability take general ed courses but have a special education teacher in the classroom. The special ed teacher checks up on them to make sure they are understanding the material and removes them from the classroom during tests and quizzes to read the questions to them and take time to explain what the question is asking.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyDavis View Post
Private school.

Mainstream schools aren't truly geared for special needs children. What grade?
My son is in the 3rd grade right now, I will check out some private schools and go from there. I'm not sure if i will be able to afford that but I will look into it. Thanks for your response!

Old 03-05-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
I would suggest private school if you can afford it. Have you considered putting him in the special education program in his school? Could you talk with the teacher about how she is running her classroom? Ask her why does she believe that your son isn't enjoying her class. I would also ask her what can you and your son do to make sure that he can feel comfortable in the classroom.

I'm not sure how the HISD special education department works; but I know that in the metro-Atlanta area, those who are highly-functining autistics or have a learning disability take general ed courses but have a special education teacher in the classroom. The special ed teacher checks up on them to make sure they are understanding the material and removes them from the classroom during tests and quizzes to read the questions to them and take time to explain what the question is asking.
Thanks for your response, they don't have a special ed teacher in the classroom at all at his school. The only thing he does is go to the resource room for math 3 times a week for 30 minutes. My son was getting better services in california and the teachers at his school there were very helpful. We had no issues like the ones we are having here at this school which is why I might have to go back if I can't afford private school.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:38 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
If you can afford a rental a couple miles north of you, you can get in SBISD. Its known to be the best in the city for special needs

Old 03-05-2013, 09:37 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenKenII View Post
Thanks for your response, they don't have a special ed teacher in the classroom at all at his school. The only thing he does is go to the resource room for math 3 times a week for 30 minutes. My son was getting better services in california and the teachers at his school there were very helpful. We had no issues like the ones we are having here at this school which is why I might have to go back if I can't afford private school.
3rd grade can be difficult in any school, but....

The schools here vary a lot in terms of services for special education kids. My 2nd grade grandson is mainstreamed with pullouts here in Pearland and we have never had a teacher yelling at the kids in any of his classes at all.

He was non-verbal in Kindergarten when he started, btw. He is a math kid, but doesn't like reading. They do silent sustained reading in his school, I think. They also do writers workshop. Neither of these work well for him, but he does not have a behavior problem so he deals with it without too much fuss. We just had our ARD and discussed the modifications he will need for the reading tests next year. For math, he will do the regular test, but a teacher will read the word problems to him and he will have a small group.

Have you had an ARD meeting? What kinds of things are in his IEP? If they are not doing what they should, you *can* transfer out within the district, I believe.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:35 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,367,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
If you can afford a rental a couple miles north of you, you can get in SBISD. Its known to be the best in the city for special needs

this.

but,
the response you're getting from the teacher and principle is unacceptable. Id move up the food chain and be a bit of a hardhead.

good luck to you.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:25 AM

914 posts, read 1,833,223 times
Check out the Westview School. It is a private school that specializes in educating children with autism.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:26 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
Be very, very vocal about your unhappiness. It will get you far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston