Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 11:35 AM

690 posts, read 2,630,274 times

Advertisements

Agree with both Moms - do not lie to your landlord. Now that Lillian's Law has passed here, you would probably bring that much more trouble on yourself if you did lie and something happened. Be truthful, and good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 12:12 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
If you buy a house, build an appropriate chain link fenced-in dog run.

In my opinion this is possibly the worst thing to do to a dog that needs to run, play, run and play some more!!! People get themselves into trouble doing this passive-abusive ****, and it is very unfair and upsetting. When I was growing up we had a next door neighbor who did this to a Lab that really needed 5 acres to romp around. Unfortunately the Lab had to be put to sleep due to aggressive attacks. Aggressive Lab? Isn't that a contradiction of terms? Well you can fence in your pit, and you WILL you create a nuisance for your neighbor who will surely notice you have a frustrated beast ready to rip her dog's and 5-year-old's head off.

As far as dogs tearing up a house, you can chalk that up to the owners not giving their pets enough exercise again. THIS IS NOT A BREED PROBLEM, this is owner ignorance. Think indoor chain-link fence.

However your dog is your property and this is America; you can with it as you wish. I will say if you live in a 900 sq ft apartment and have a pit bull (boxer, lab, etc) as a pet, SHAME ON YOU.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:47 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
In my opinion this is possibly the worst thing to do to a dog that needs to run, play, run and play some more!!! People get themselves into trouble doing this passive-abusive ****, and it is very unfair and upsetting. When I was growing up we had a next door neighbor who did this to a Lab that really needed 5 acres to romp around. Unfortunately the Lab had to be put to sleep due to aggressive attacks. Aggressive Lab? Isn't that a contradiction of terms? Well you can fence in your pit, and you WILL you create a nuisance for your neighbor who will surely notice you have a frustrated beast ready to rip her dog's and 5-year-old's head off.

As far as dogs tearing up a house, you can chalk that up to the owners not giving their pets enough exercise again. THIS IS NOT A BREED PROBLEM, this is owner ignorance. Think indoor chain-link fence.

However your dog is your property and this is America; you can with it as you wish. I will say if you live in a 900 sq ft apartment and have a pit bull (boxer, lab, etc) as a pet, SHAME ON YOU.
Uh...I didn't say to permanently house the dog in a dog run, did I?

There aren't many places that are 5 acres in Houston, so let's be realistic. A dog run (notice the word "run", not "cage"), built properly, would certainly help the dog RUN and get exercise in case the owner was at work or at the store, mall, etc.. Not only that, it shows a bit of responsibility on the part of the owner to provide a secure enclosed area for what many consider a dangerous breed, as we all know how bored dogs can and DO dig, chew, and claw their way out of a backyard wood fence. We're not talking about what's fair for the dog right now--we all know dogs need exercise--we're talking about the LAW, and the rights of others around this dog and the neighborhood itself.

It's hard not to make judgments against people who own pit bulls. I'm trying to be as nonjudgmental as I can. Who are we to say someone can't have a dog in their 900 square foot apartment? We don't know anything about this person or their lifestyle. They may take their dog jogging twice a day. Who knows?

Old 10-26-2007, 07:23 PM

13 posts, read 43,959 times
"My renter had 2 pit bulls and they tore up our property. We didn't know they had them until we inspected the property.

Do NOT lie to your landlord. You can get evicted on the basis of default of lease. This is how we evicted these other people.

After we found out about the dogs the people would let them out and they would chase down kids in the neighborhod. NOT a fun situation.

These dogs put holes in the walls, floor, tore up carpet. They are aggressive animals and no one can convince me otherwise."

I think the dog's behavior has more to do with the upbringing that comes from the type of owner that would lie to you about having dogs and then do nothing in the way of training/exercise when their dogs tear up the place than the breed itself.

"ok i just read about a few killings involving this dog."

Why would you hear about any other types of dogs killing people? Because it is not as "media friendly" maybe?

What is the idea of a dog run? My dogs are nearly passed out all day sleeping. The only way I see a dog running in a cage lick that is if they because agitated or nervous enough to run themselves silly.....the same kind of thing that makes dogs tear up houses and chase people.
Zach

Old 10-26-2007, 11:44 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,582,052 times
Pitbulls do need to be secured and a wooden fence won't cut it because of their strength. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a loose pit running in my neighborhood because they've broken out of the owners gate.

I don't think having a dog run in the back yard is a bad idea, of course the poster didn't mean to keep the dog in the cage 12 hours out of the day

I also do not agree that an apartment is a suitable situation for that breed either.

Old 10-27-2007, 01:04 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
I don't think having a dog run in the back yard is a bad idea, of course the poster didn't mean to keep the dog in the cage 12 hours out of the day

I also do not agree that an apartment is a suitable situation for that breed either.

I don't know about anyone else in here, but I'm gone 11 hrs a weekday working chasing the dollar. If you're single, where will the dog go for those 11 hours? A little apartment, or a dog run at a house?

Old 10-27-2007, 08:38 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
I know you love your pit bull, I am an animal lover myself but that is one breed I just don't trust and would hate to have living nearby. A co-worker's pit got away from her when she took it outside and he injured her elderly neighbor's little bitty dog. Another co-worker recently told me that her father was injured and his small dog killed by another pit that managed to elude it's owner. I realize it is irresponsibility on the part of the owner that the dog got away from him or her but the fact that the dog "attacked" while it was away is a different issue entirely. Lots of dogs get out and don't attack.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:05 AM

3 posts, read 5,870 times
And you're the ignorant type with close mind. helen keller can say if she was alive her seeing eye dog who was a pitbull didnt lead her to a child to kill it. and stubby the pitbull who inspiried the k9 corps for war dogs saved numerous lives from russian spies and gases. they are dubbed the nanny dog. and pres. roosevelt loved the breed too! if it wasnt for the pitbull we wouldnt have ukc. take a drive down to el paso and meet popsicle the black drug sniffing pitbull who has recovered millions of drugs

Old 09-05-2010, 10:07 AM

3 posts, read 5,870 times
And how did the dogs punch holes in the wall? did they put on a pair of boxing gloves and have it out at the wall? ridiculous! go search the internet and do some proper research www.findthepitbull.com bet you cant!

Old 09-05-2010, 11:42 AM

1,632 posts, read 3,327,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybully View Post
And you're the ignorant type with close mind. helen keller can say if she was alive her seeing eye dog who was a pitbull didnt lead her to a child to kill it. and stubby the pitbull who inspiried the k9 corps for war dogs saved numerous lives from russian spies and gases. they are dubbed the nanny dog. and pres. roosevelt loved the breed too! if it wasnt for the pitbull we wouldnt have ukc. take a drive down to el paso and meet popsicle the black drug sniffing pitbull who has recovered millions of drugs
And you seem equally ignorant and close minded. While there are certainly examples of some pit bulls that have lived a productive life, they are without a doubt more dangerous than most other breeds, and to argue otherwise is to close your eyes to the excessive amount of facts and data out there.

In 2009, pit bulls accounted for 47% of all dog-bite related fatalities. In 2008, 65% and in 2007 53%. Being that they did not make up 50% of the dogs in the country, they kill a disproportionate amount of people compared to other breeds.

Do your research -- not every pit bull is dangerous, but the risk is too high to put anywhere near other people. If I ever see one come near my kids without a leash I'm pulling out the Glock -- hoping that that dog is one of the good ones is not a chance I'd be willing to take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston