Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 07:37 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
When was the last time this so called Mayor spent one dime on this city's aging infrastructure? She is quick to call all the TV stations to let everyone know where she will be marching in the Gay Parade though.
I know, here I come with my "facts"
Only mayor in the US I've heard making this argument,
I thought about this when I was driving through rural Arkansas where they have nicer roads than in most of Houston and Arkansas has less than 1/2 the population of Houston.

Report says Houston will lead nation’s cities in economic growth; Mayor Parker warns of ‘haphazard’ federal funding | Texas on the Potomac | a Chron.com blog - June, 2012

Quote:
“The greater Houston metropolitan area has a greater GDP than the entire state of Georgia,” Parker said in an interview with Texas on the Potomac. “The top ten city metro areas in the United States have a greater GDP than 35 states added together. I shouldn’t have to compete with rural areas in some other part of the country for desperately needed transit dollars, for example, since I represent such a large piece of the population. And my fellow mayors would say the same thing.”

As the strain on cities grows, so, too, should the level of federal support, Parker said.

“The competitor countries, the powerhouses in Asia, for example, spend more than twice as much as what the United States does on capital infrastructure projects. And it’s not just that they spend more, but our federal spending on infrastructure is going down,” Parker said. “So we’re going in the wrong direction. That throws the burden back on cities that already have to provide basic life, health, safety services just so people can survive from one day to the next.”

“I desperately need funds and our port authority desperately needs funds to do dredging, channel maintenance in the port of Houston. And yet, our harbor maintenance fees that we collect go to the federal government and then get dispersed around the country,” Parker said. “If you just left us alone, and allowed us to re-invest the money that we generate back in our own port, instead of sending us a fraction of it back, we’d have a phenomenal port.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 07:41 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
In before the "our roads are gumbo" excuse comes about.

Houston roads are hard to maintain due to weather conditions. Chicago is in the same boat.

Yet "Commiebama" land has much better roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: