Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 03:45 PM

63 posts, read 118,217 times

Advertisements

We love the trees and look of this area, the ability to walk and not be chained 100% to the car, the bike trail access, neighborhood clubs etc but there was so little to look at in our price range (about $500k). Brokers are pushing us to Katy but I have not given up the hope.

Is there any chance more homes will come on the market? Has the "spring rush" happened yet? We saw one home that we could have made an offer on but it backed up to some not desirable apartments. Another came on the market today that was in the 700k range. Too much $$ for us. Tha

We have some time to wait but getting nervous. If we can't buy in 77079 s there any Katy subdivision that could come close to what we are looking for with a reasonable commute to the Energy Corridor?

Thanks as always for the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 03:56 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,452,315 times
Well luckily if you are forced to Katy, you will be right along the Energy Corridor, but unfortunately you will be chained to the car, unless you live in the small Oasis that is CityCentre.. but you will still have to more than likely venture out of there sometimes.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:03 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,503,633 times
Don't know what to tell you. It's an absolute feeding frenzy out there. There is a very small amount of inventory, because everyone wants to stay here. The minute a house goes on the market in that price range, it has multiple contracts within hours. Same goes for the higher price ranges. And I'd say about 20% of those recent sales are being torn down for million+ construction. Residents are even choosing to tear down their own homes to get the new, versus moving and building.

It's a historically very nice area, full of natives and people that want to raise their kids in the same neighborhood they grew up in, and have them attend the same schools they did.The park doesn't hurt it's value either. It's extremely unique to have miles of park like that, without the constant buzz of traffic next to you.

You may want to check out Green Trails in Katy. I think you'd like it.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:00 PM

Thanks Easily Amused - I was hoping you would respond. I can really see the draw. I even found a nice independent coffee shop and a good Italian restaurant that was filled with regulars. My only hope is that my DH is already working out there and is available to check out places as they list. But I will check out Green Trails - it looks pretty so far.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:01 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,962,366 times
While it tends to get forgotten because its zoned to the wrong elementary, westwick gives you the area of memorial without the cost. *shrug*

Old 04-02-2013, 06:05 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,767,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Don't know what to tell you. It's an absolute feeding frenzy out there. There is a very small amount of inventory, because everyone wants to stay here. The minute a house goes on the market in that price range, it has multiple contracts within hours. Same goes for the higher price ranges. And I'd say about 20% of those recent sales are being torn down for million+ construction. Residents are even choosing to tear down their own homes to get the new, versus moving and building.

It's a historically very nice area, full of natives and people that want to raise their kids in the same neighborhood they grew up in, and have them attend the same schools they did.The park doesn't hurt it's value either. It's extremely unique to have miles of park like that, without the constant buzz of traffic next to you.

You may want to check out Green Trails in Katy. I think you'd like it.

I'll second that suggestion. We lived there and absolutely loved it and its a very easy commute to the energy corridor. My husband worked in one of the buildings in Westlake and it took him about 15 minutes driveway to desk, and about 10 minutes home.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:46 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,020,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
While it tends to get forgotten because its zoned to the wrong elementary, westwick gives you the area of memorial without the cost. *shrug*
I've been closely monitoring Westwick inventory the last few weeks because I think that's where we might end up, but unfortunately there's nothing decent out that way. The 4 houses on the market there are not nearly as well put together as the recent solds. I'm waiting to pounce on a good one out there. I like the character of the 84/85 builds out there as opposed to the 90s production homes out there (I think those are David Weekley's).

Old 04-02-2013, 06:54 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,962,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post
I've been closely monitoring Westwick inventory the last few weeks because I think that's where we might end up, but unfortunately there's nothing decent out that way. The 4 houses on the market there are not nearly as well put together as the recent solds. I'm waiting to pounce on a good one out there. I like the character of the 84/85 builds out there as opposed to the 90s production homes out there (I think those are David Weekley's).
I think the main problem with the weekly's is they never seem updated. It's weird but I guess it's just lots of original owner turnover or just transition from a very low price point from 5-10 years ago.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:17 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,495,976 times
If school is not an issue, 77077 is also close by and there are a lot of nice neighborhoods in your price range

Old 04-03-2013, 08:45 AM

School is a big issue for us. I have 3 kids that will be in 1st, 4th and 6th next year. We did see some nice homes in Westside but I hear the school and not good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: