Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 09:05 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Main reason I don't believe in the "low taxes create growth" is Germany.
They are the most powerful economy in Europe and one of the most powerful in the World .... even though they have always have very high taxes.

Just search "The German economic miracle" and have fun reading about it.
Does Germany have a minimum wage law?

Did the German unions agree to reduce pay?

Are German pensions less than those in France and other EU countries?

Compare the pay of German workers to those in other countries ( List of countries by average wage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ).

Final question, is the gap between rich and poor in Germany growing or shrinking?

The fact is that the German economy is growing due to them being more competitive in the world market. They have done this by making goods cheaper by paying less to the employees. This is offset by higher taxes that help pay for government programs like healthcare, public transportation, etc. for everyone.

Germany essentially made the choice of higher taxes and lower pay. Although this may appeal to some people, it doesn't appeal to me. I'd rather make more money and have the choice as to what I want to pay for than give that extra money to the government so they can choose what they want to spend it on.

Some people will agree with me while others will not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 09:59 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Did you call me?
Only reason we can afford to have low taxes is because we have a huge oil industry.
Same thing happens in all the oil rich countries.
Most of what you normally say makes lots of sense, but this has to be your most idiotic statement on CD yet.

So Silicone Valley with its huge Tech industry or NY with its huge Finance industry (Both of which contributing more $$$ to their respective GDP than oil to us) doesn't the residents lower taxes??? B to the S dude.

NY probably makes more from the finance industry than our entire 400 billion GDP and you come in here talking about we have Oil?

HookTheBrotherUp, Houston will be fine. Texas is redder now than when it had half as many people. How do you know the people coming here are not republicans fleeing the blue states for redder pastures???

Old 04-16-2013, 10:18 AM

421 posts, read 749,831 times
They have to get it back somehow.

Quote:
Houstonians, however, get walloped at the cash register, where they pay a total sales tax of 8.25 cents on each dollar spent for taxable items. That sales tax rate ranks ninth from the highest, found in Chicago at 9.75 percent.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:28 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
I think it's obvious to any outsider that we have the lowest tax burden in the country.

-We have terrible roads.
-We have more drug addled homeless people begging for change than I've ever seen in my life.
-University of Texas doesn't even rank as high up as University of California Irvine.
-Experienced teachers are some of the lowest paid in the country.
-Public transportation is almost a cruel joke in this town.
-We have less police than most cities.
-If you are a poor woman, enjoy your STdiseases if you were unfortunate to contract one or several, and don't even mention the "A" word.

The fact of the matter is simple. We don't have enough taxes in this city, it's a reflection of the state and eventually someone or someboyd such as the Castros are going to move up and the pendulum is going to swing waaaaaaaay too far to the other side.

You just watch.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:32 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,771,559 times
Quote:
Main reason I don't believe in the "low taxes create growth" is Germany.
They are the most powerful economy in Europe and one of the most powerful in the World .... even though they have always have very high taxes.

Just search "The German economic miracle" and have fun reading about it.

I second that this is an idiotic post. A few things that your deep intellectual argument failed to take into consideration is that Germans are savers and have been for the last 100 years. They have stayed out of debt as a country and as individuals. Two, they are the only country in Europe that has a work ethic. Three, their wages would make you puke. And four, and this applies to all of western europe, the US taxpayer subsidizes their military which is a huge expense. If Europe paid for our defense we would save almost a trillion dollars a year. You need to be careful with your dependent variables. Your analytical skills are seriously lacking.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:35 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,771,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I think it's obvious to any outsider that we have the lowest tax burden in the country.

-We have terrible roads.
-We have more drug addled homeless people begging for change than I've ever seen in my life.
-University of Texas doesn't even rank as high up as University of California Irvine.
-Experienced teachers are some of the lowest paid in the country.
-Public transportation is almost a cruel joke in this town.
-We have less police than most cities.
-If you are a poor woman, enjoy your STdiseases if you were unfortunate to contract one or several, and don't even mention the "A" word.

The fact of the matter is simple. We don't have enough taxes in this city, it's a reflection of the state and eventually someone or someboyd such as the Castros are going to move up and the pendulum is going to swing waaaaaaaay too far to the other side.

You just watch.
Yet everyone keeps moving here!!!!!!! So something doesn't mesh with your argument. BTW, are you going to volunteer some extra tax money for the collective good? What? Can't hear you partner, you're going to have to speak up. LOL.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Most of what you normally say makes lots of sense, but this has to be your most idiotic statement on CD yet.

So Silicone Valley with its huge Tech industry or NY with its huge Finance industry (Both of which contributing more $$$ to their respective GDP than oil to us) doesn't the residents lower taxes??? B to the S dude.

NY probably makes more from the finance industry than our entire 400 billion GDP and you come in here talking about we have Oil?

HookTheBrotherUp, Houston will be fine. Texas is redder now than when it had half as many people. How do you know the people coming here are not republicans fleeing the blue states for redder pastures???
But that's just it. When we bust, we have no tax base and everyone leaves and the town turns to ****. Let's all hope for no more busts, but you just don't know.

Also, the children of Hispanics are growing up and are starting to vote. Nobody believed me when I said way back even before when Herman Cain was a thought that Obama would win against anyone. What's to say that won't happen in Texas? We were the only minority-majority state to not vote for Obama, and that's mostly because the Democrat party in this state has no balls and therefore does not recruit.

And what I am seeing is plenty of Republicans coming to this state, but they are not the same. Republicans here are just downright scary to many Republicans up north.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
Yet everyone keeps moving here!!!!!!! So something doesn't mesh with your argument. BTW, are you going to volunteer some extra tax money for the collective good? What? Can't hear you partner, you're going to have to speak up. LOL.
So does this prove that Texas is awesome, or does it prove that their state was worse? And if they are coming to this state because they thought their state was worse and think this state has jobs, but isn't the greatest, what do you suppose happens next?

And you have no idea how much I donate to charity. It's plenty.

Is that loud enough for you?

Old 04-16-2013, 10:41 AM

270 posts, read 478,443 times
I never have understood why Texans complain about taxes. I think people here have it made in the shade. My job brought me here,not lower taxes.

At least here you only pay the Feds. In Boston you paid the Feds and the commonwealth. Flat tax on all incomes of 5.3%. Massachusetts is around 4th or 5th in the highest incomes in the nation, so even though you make decent to good money,you get it on both ends. PLUS has anyone seen the average price of a home in the Boston area ? I think you get more square footage for your dollar down here.

The one good thing about the taxes is public transportation is top notch in my opinion. The schools aren't the best,but there are worse. Colleges.....I'll put them up against any. And for as long as I can remember in my 36 years of living, I've felt the doctors and hospitals are some of the best you can find.

Then there is car insurance. A lot of big companies don't insure Massachusetts drivers. Here is how that may go if you left Houston and moved to Boston: call ABC Big Insurance, press 2 for Massacusetts drivers........"Sorry....we don't insure drivers in Massachusetts.". You go to the local insurance place and they'll you hook up with a policy of about $200-250 a month. God bless the T ! Hahahaha.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:42 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I've never said I'm perfect.... almost, but not perfect
As long as you can prove me wrong, there's nothing to worry about
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston