Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 09:37 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,772,065 times

Advertisements

It could be worse: Houstonians' total tax burden, minus federal income taxes, ranks near the U.S. bottom - Houston Chronicle

And this includes property taxes!!!! OK, bring on the haters...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 12:01 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,300,410 times
Did you call me?
Only reason we can afford to have low taxes is because we have a huge oil industry.
Same thing happens in all the oil rich countries.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:08 AM

501 posts, read 362,110 times
Freedom for the win!

Old 04-16-2013, 04:24 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,277,243 times
Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Did you call me?
Only reason we can afford to have low taxes is because we have a huge oil industry.
This sounds like an Archie Bunker statement.... Archie sitting on the recliner with a beer in hand and rambling on without facts. It is a ridiculous statement, Houston is more diverse and when oil was in the dumps, Houston managed to continue to grow and thrive. In reference to other oil rich countries, your statement is true, however, in those countries the oil companies are monolopies, or state run oil companies, it is a free enterprise in Houston. Oil companies pay their percentage of taxes just like Walmart, HEB, or Pedro's Mexican Restaurant. You can't "credit" the oil companies alone for Houston's success, there are too many dynamics and the city does not get royalties just because oil companies have offices here.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:55 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,368,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
This sounds like an Archie Bunker statement.... Archie sitting on the recliner with a beer in hand and rambling on without facts. It is a ridiculous statement, Houston is more diverse and when oil was in the dumps, Houston managed to continue to grow and thrive. In reference to other oil rich countries, your statement is true, however, in those countries the oil companies are monolopies, or state run oil companies, it is a free enterprise in Houston. Oil companies pay their percentage of taxes just like Walmart, HEB, or Pedro's Mexican Restaurant. You can't "credit" the oil companies alone for Houston's success, there are too many dynamics and the city does not get royalties just because oil companies have offices here.

to bad you didnt comprehend his post.
he said "oil industry"

that term encompasses far more than an oil producing corporation.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:39 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,277,243 times
Default Not too much difference

You are threading needles, but the same applies; the 'oil industry' does not pay royalties either, the oil industry is not what makes taxes low all by itself. If so, I'm missing out because they are not helping me with my taxes.

Remove the label of 'oil', and just call it a business. The truth is, our state has a low tax burden compared to other states and business friendly and less regulation (think 16 oz sodas, an no salt in restaurants), so many companies choose to do business here. Though the oil industry is the leader in jobs, the medical industry is not too far behind, but I have not heard anyone say taxes are low because of it. You also have manufacturing and aerospace.

Simply put, the more people you have paying taxes, the lower the tax burden will be on everyone. It is the same principle used by Kennedy and Reagan; lower taxes, and government tax receipts will increase because more people are employed and paying more taxes.

Sadly, what Texas has will not last for ever; the 'stars and planets' are lined up for Houston at the moment, but too many people moving to Texas from Blue states will eventually influence politics to the point where Texas will become just another state that taxes its citizens to the point they have no money left over, and Houston will join the likes of all the other cities people are trying to get away from.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:49 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,150,844 times
Quote:
Did you call me?
Incorrect as usual.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:12 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,772,065 times
Quote:
Did you call me?
The others on this thread already did a good job refuting your knee jerk theory so I'll ask you this question. What would CA's economy be like without entertainment and venture capital? What would NY's economy be like without Wall Street? What would Washington DC's economy be like without gov't? What would FL's economy be like without tourism? I think you see a pattern. Run along now...

Old 04-16-2013, 08:42 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,300,410 times
Main reason I don't believe in the "low taxes create growth" is Germany.
They are the most powerful economy in Europe and one of the most powerful in the World .... even though they have always have very high taxes.

Just search "The German economic miracle" and have fun reading about it.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:05 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,149,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Sadly, what Texas has will not last for ever; the 'stars and planets' are lined up for Houston at the moment, but too many people moving to Texas from Blue states will eventually influence politics to the point where Texas will become just another state that taxes its citizens to the point they have no money left over, and Houston will join the likes of all the other cities people are trying to get away from.

YAY!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston