Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2013, 10:28 AM

4 posts, read 6,397 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to the south Houston area in a month to work in Texas City. I was looking for some recommendations on where a young single guy should live. Ideally I would like to live about 30 minutes from Texas City max, keep rent below about $1000, and more importantly live around other young (22-27) people. I have heard that Clear Lake and Galveston are pretty good areas, any advice on these areas. Also if you know of any great apartment complexes please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 10:40 AM

7,542 posts, read 11,574,791 times
Galveston you can rent a nice 1200sqft to 1500sqft house and your signal better since you do not have any kids Galveston schools are really bad. There will be a lot of people there on the weekends and there is few cool bars.
Clear Lake has a some apts were where a lot of younger aged people live but there is not a lot of places for the under 30 crowd

Old 05-02-2013, 03:31 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Well, you surely don't want to be in Texas City.

Can I be honest here? This is not a place that people who grow up here endeavor to stay any longer than we have to. They go to school and leave. A few come back for work, they get married, they have kids, they drop out of the world you're looking for. The rest, chances are you don't want anything to do with them.

Galveston gets tourist traffic. It's more from the general local area. It's on the water, but don't expect what it looks like when you go out to the Pacific.

What there is for 20-somethings in Clear Lake revolves around UH-Clear Lake, which is a commuter school and people come for classes there from all over the place. A lot of students do live in apartments near campus. Aside from that, it's pretty generic suburbia. Lots of construction and delays lately around that stretch of I-45. It's as fun as it sounds.

Coming from a place like Corvallis, it's going to be quite a bit different. We don't really have a college-town thing going. This is where people go for work. There are things to do and women to meet, but there's no "scene" to just run to and have it all there in front of you.

I'm sure you were hoping for a bit of good news, so I can say that you can get into a decent apartment for well under $1000K/mo.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:06 PM

54 posts, read 122,849 times
You can check out those new apartments off Space Center. Also, check out The Preserve at Baywood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston