Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 10:44 PM

174 posts, read 503,464 times

Advertisements

Here is a checklist of facts about me, is Houston right for me.

I am 23 yo male, however I will not be making my move for another year or so to save up money.

I live in Michigan. I hate the cold weather, all the snow, and the bad economy. Unemployment is 8% here still. Underemployment (which I am currently in) is around 15%. There's a lot of brain drain here.

I am getting my associates in accounting, enabling me to work in AP/AR and bookkeeping, entry level. My intention is once I get my associates (2014) to relocate, get a job in this field to get my foot in the door and take online classes toward a bachelor's. Some knock online but it will be through a respected institution offering both online and physical plant degrees (my rule is if it advertises on Maury Povich, don't go for it). So no U of Phoenix or anything. I'm thinking Western Governors, Bellevue, Washington State or some other non-profit U offering a bachelor's. I simply do not have the money or opportunity cost to quit my job to go to college full time even with loans. So this is the route I must take. I think online is the way of the future anyway. In 10 years 40% or more degrees will be earned online, in 20 years it will be a majority. It has some stigma but as more do it that stigma is going away. It does not specifically say "online" on the diploma anyway.

I have long work history, 4 years with same company, so I have a good track record, but they keep me at 32-35 hrs per week.

I like hot humid weather, yes you heard it right, I like humidity. The reason is I have a lifelong problem with dry scalp and other skin conditions. The only time it lets up is during the humid weather of summer. The more humid the day the better. I know humidity is bad but my itching is worse. So I know I would like Houston's weather. I would gladly trade in hot humid Houston weather for 72 inches of snow and single digit winter temps. Cold just affects me more.

My relocation plans would involve subletting an apartment at first, then searching for jobs, wherein if I got one I would look for an actual lease.

My questions.

What is the job market like? Will there be jobs for my skills. I know it will be better than MI regardless, but I am also looking at NE and IA, which have better job markets overall though worse weather and probably fewer in the number of jobs available. Houston's Unemployment is around 6% last time I checked, in Omaha it is 3.5%. However I am wondering if the higher rate has to do with the fact larger cities tend to attract some of the dregs (more HS dropouts, ghetto types) but would in fact be better for me since I graduated from a private HS 3.4 GPA and currently have a 3.9 in my AA program.

The undisputed fact is there will be more job openings in my field, even if more people competing. Will my associate's carry me in Houston, TX.

I understand Houston has no zoning at least in the same sense as most other cities. Does this "spread out" the bad areas or are there some areas I should avoid more than others. If I do look for a sublet without actually coming to the area what specific neighborhoods or sides of town should I avoid?

I will gladly take a job not in my field if one is not available immediately upon my arrival. I would even dig ditches if needs be. I refuse to accept any handouts. This is one of the other reasons for my appeal to Texas. It has a strong value of low taxes, light regulations, and hard work ethics. I realize this has some negative affects as it has some more poverty, though I suspect this is more having to do with its closeness to Mexico than anything else. If I start my business I hear Texas, Texas, Texas in the media.

So is Houston a good place for me to come to?

Note. Some will say relocating with no job offer is foolish. Some say "play it safe." In MI there just aren't many jobs, and competition is much fiercer. It is not the worst, as Central CA, Nevada and Rhode Island have it worse but regardless of what you say finding a job in TX is much easier than MI statistically, period.

There are too few jobs here and a lot more people for each job. Houston has a lot of people but a lot of jobs as well. I know my chances of jobs here are slim, plus I have bad Seasonal Affective Disorder and hate cold. My debate is not leaving, on that subject my mind is absolutely made up 100%, the only debate is where to go. My real debate is between Omaha/Des Moines and Houston. I'd also consider Dallas but Houston is more on my radar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 11:40 PM

164 posts, read 357,012 times
What we don't pay in sales tax is most certainly made up in property taxes. Even if you aren't buying, rent in the desirable places in Houston is expensive. Was discussing with my friends and most 1BR start at $1,300, but some good deals can be had.

As for poverty... Um, wat. Poverty isn't just limited to Mexicans, but I'll assume that wasn't what you were trying to say. Houston is the 4th largest city in the US. There are poor people and not so nice parts of town in any big city. Houston is not an exception. Also, WTF are you talking about Houston attracting the "dregs" or "HS dropouts/ghetto" types? If anything at all, people come to Houston because of opportunities. People who move here without a job are doing themselves a huge disservice because there will always be competition for the desired jobs. And those who DO move to Houston who have a job are educated, well-qualified, and usually experienced in their fields. Even if folks aren't resting on their laurels, I can appreciate the fact that they are trying to better themselves and their lives.

Re: job. It's hard to say. Even if a sector is doing well, it doesn't mean you'll get a job. Most of it is being the right person at the right place in time. However, I know that at my company, undergrad BA is essentially an unspoken requirement, and if you want to work in accounting, being a CPA is almost a must. There are enough people looking for a job that any edge you can get will make you a more eligible candidate.

But before doing anything, I would spend the weekend in Houston. Check it out. See if it's for you. Since summer is approaching, come and visit when it's the hottest (when you're sticking to yourself and everything you touch is on fire) to see if you like it.

I feel like Houston has been so romanticized in the media that people's expectations are not in line with reality. I actually do enjoy living in Houston, and I think it's an unexpected, great place. But if you don't have a job, a place to live, and no family, it's not going to be as easy as Forbes or whatever makes it out to be.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:17 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,966,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutbutter View Post
What we don't pay in sales tax is most certainly made up in property taxes. Even if you aren't buying, rent in the desirable places in Houston is expensive. Was discussing with my friends and most 1BR start at $1,300, but some good deals can be had.

As for poverty... Um, wat. Poverty isn't just limited to Mexicans, but I'll assume that wasn't what you were trying to say. Houston is the 4th largest city in the US. There are poor people and not so nice parts of town in any big city. Houston is not an exception. Also, WTF are you talking about Houston attracting the "dregs" or "HS dropouts/ghetto" types? If anything at all, people come to Houston because of opportunities. People who move here without a job are doing themselves a huge disservice because there will always be competition for the desired jobs. And those who DO move to Houston who have a job are educated, well-qualified, and usually experienced in their fields. Even if folks aren't resting on their laurels, I can appreciate the fact that they are trying to better themselves and their lives.

Re: job. It's hard to say. Even if a sector is doing well, it doesn't mean you'll get a job. Most of it is being the right person at the right place in time. However, I know that at my company, undergrad BA is essentially an unspoken requirement, and if you want to work in accounting, being a CPA is almost a must. There are enough people looking for a job that any edge you can get will make you a more eligible candidate.

But before doing anything, I would spend the weekend in Houston. Check it out. See if it's for you. Since summer is approaching, come and visit when it's the hottest (when you're sticking to yourself and everything you touch is on fire) to see if you like it.

I feel like Houston has been so romanticized in the media that people's expectations are not in line with reality. I actually do enjoy living in Houston, and I think it's an unexpected, great place. But if you don't have a job, a place to live, and no family, it's not going to be as easy as Forbes or whatever makes it out to be.

We must live in different Houstons. Plenty of $700 apts in The Heights or Montrose.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:57 AM

391 posts, read 425,086 times
An associates in accounting isn't worth very much. Most (all?) public firms expect a bachelor's at the minimum, and in TX you need 150 credit hours to sit for the exam so a Master's is practically required.

You may be able to find an entry-level position somewhere, but I wouldn't pack up and move here unless you have an offer in hand.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:09 AM

174 posts, read 503,464 times
I don't expect any more than 10-15 per hour.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
We must live in different Houstons. Plenty of $700 apts in The Heights or Montrose.
Yes, if they're privately owned (not commercially managed) and if you can find an available property. I got my place in Montrose for four years @ $585/mo with the best landlord ever, but I know that this isn't the norm.

I've been looking for apts for people in Montrose and the Heights on the side (not a realtor), and they're not as common as they were years ago. Or maybe you're just exceedingly lucky.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARPARP View Post
I don't expect any more than 10-15 per hour.
FWIW, my side retail job pays within this range.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:32 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,020,495 times
Honestly, with an associates in accounting, you'll be hard pressed to find a full time job. Companies are just hiring part time or contract basis because there's not a year round need for that type of skill. The good news is there's a lot of that part time and contract work available, but even then you may not hit the 32-35 hours you are getting now.

Your best option, if you can manage it financially, is to just go ahead and get your bachelor's in acct. You will find no shortage of jobs after you complete it, and it's a very good and well compensated career long term. Whatever sacrifices you have to make to achieve it will be worth it in the end.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:00 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,101,439 times
My good friend got a good job but it was a bachelors degree. I strongly recommend, as others have said as well to complete your bachelors because an Associates isn't much. You'll be struggling with the lower pay since you have less education.

Houston, although is in a great economical state, isn't the cheapest to live of the texas cities with your experience so far. Get a bachelors then come down.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:28 PM

785 posts, read 1,235,186 times
I read his post again and I don't think he was saying that Houston is ghetto and poor -- just that for a city it's size, a 6% unemployment rate is great. Some people will say that North Dakota has a 3.3% unemployment rate and so it must be doing better than Texas -- until you realize that there's barely half a million people in the entire state. So these numbers are all relative, if I understood what he's trying to say correctly.

Like others have said, come visit and check it out. Since you're willing to work outside your field for now then $10 an hour is manageable depending on your skills (and as long as you're not working at a fast food restaurant or something).

Houston is huuuuuge, we have several business districts spread out in the metro area (yay no zoning!), and even some of our suburbs can be cutthroat (the Woodlands) when it comes to jobs. Line up that job first and then you can decide where to live, the closer the better.

And yes, the "bad areas" (they're really quite overblown, if you ask me) are spread out and we're not very segregated at all, though the east side of the city is much less developed than the west (mostly because the east is more industrial and has all the refineries, who wants to live next to that?). The areas to avoid will all depend on which part of town you end up living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston