Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 10:57 PM

131 posts, read 520,846 times

Advertisements

Like many people, they moved into this city for better career opportunities. For me, I was fortune to land on a consulting gig in IT 7 months ago and that allowed me to have an income source while exploring around the city. Obviously, consulting doesnt have much stability in terms of lifestyle. So then 3 months ago, I transitioned into a corporate IT position in the financial industry. It's not a very large company but the culture is quite laid back. Here I am 3 months later, I got approached once again by a recruiter for an IT position with a Fortune 500 oil and gas company. I know it's a very bad idea to job hop so much, my résumé would look like crap after this. But it's just so tempting seeing most people who make the most money work in the oil and gas company, plus this is a Fortune 500 company with lots of opportunities for growth.

I guess I'm under a whole lot of influence by the community in the galleria area that most successful people should be working in oil and gas industry. Should I jump hop again? It's really hard to resist for being in this city not to work in the oil and gas industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 07:08 AM

482 posts, read 874,819 times
I would work for the best company. The one that is most stable, likely to provide the best benefits, and values their employees the most. Then you bring your A game to the table every single day. Together it should be a long-lasting match made in heaven.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:18 AM

847 posts, read 1,751,858 times
well, technically you dont HAVE to put your last employer on your resume, since its only 3 months it won't be a huge red flag as to what you were doing for 3 months.....i'd say go with the fortune 500 company. sonuds like that is where your longevity will be.

oh, and good luck

Old 06-07-2013, 07:21 AM

119 posts, read 249,247 times
I'm sorry dude but if you're an actual consultant and you "job hop" it does NOT look bad. It shows you're taking on new assignments, learning, people keep calling you, you are a wanted person, etc. Now, if you're just a plain employee gaining employment and hopping around for the bigger paycheck then yes that's pretty bad.

If you can gain full employment in oil & gas and it pays well then go for it. There's a better chance of it being longer term than working in another industry.

Now, the thing about IT recruiters. I've learned my lessons. Take every word they utter with a grain of salt, specially those that seem to promise you interviews and butter you up to no end. You should develop a closer relationship with them (lunch, meeting at starbucks, etc) and go beyond the BS with them. Then you'll know where your opportunities stand. If you just go meet them and wait for the call at home, good luck with that.

In any case, I'd definitely recommend you go for it. Oil & gas will do well for a while. Like anything else the bubble will pop, but in the meantime you can take advantage.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:54 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,695,537 times
Lots of my friends job hop. They seem to always get more money each time.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:28 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
Depends on what phase of your career you're in. Say you're a newbie making 50k, and have the potential to hit 100k in 7 years with the same company that has historically been stable, then it's a good idea to stay. If you're not seeing the raises then you need to make some moves.
If you're already mid-upper level then it's probably better to stay for awhile. Even moreso if you get more and more vested into any benefit plans over time. But sometimes an offer comes along you just won't be able to refuse... But if you're a job hopper and the economy goes down the tubes then you'll probably be the first one to get cut. Loyalty is still important at a lot of places.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:17 PM

536 posts, read 1,062,812 times
I think a lot of job hopping hurts your long term career prospects but that's just my opinion. A bit of hopping around is fine - there will always be times when you start a job and it's just not what you expect etc. I will admit when resumes come across my desk where the person has had say 6 jobs in 6-8 years I nearly always dismiss them immediately. It's not good for a company to employ someone that moves so frequently. In that case it may get them more money quicker, but I do think it can impact their future job prospects as a result.

To the OP though, I don't think it will hurt you and if it's a good opportunity go for it.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:02 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times
Hop away, as long as the next job is a significant upgrade and pay and position. I never had a problem moving every few years when I was younger, as long as it was up...which actually says a lot about a person. As an employer, I look at proactive hopping as an aggressive,task oriented employee who wants more.One that sits on a safe job for years is well..safe but perhaps not creative or ambitious.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:13 PM

191 posts, read 535,770 times
Shouldn't be a problem, I have done this serveral time but make sure finish up the project you working on before you moved otherwise it looks bad.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:36 PM

536 posts, read 1,062,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Hop away, as long as the next job is a significant upgrade and pay and position. I never had a problem moving every few years when I was younger, as long as it was up...which actually says a lot about a person. As an employer, I look at proactive hopping as an aggressive,task oriented employee who wants more.One that sits on a safe job for years is well..safe but perhaps not creative or ambitious.
I agree but you also don't want someone whose sole interest is money.
Well I don't at least. I plan on keeping my staff at least 2-3 years, if someone leaves after a year it's very frustrating to me so I try to avoid people that I think are just looking for the most short term money no matter what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: