Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2012, 05:54 AM

2 posts, read 5,832 times

Advertisements

I live in Dickinson Texas in a town home, behind us is a dog that barks and cries all night. He is left outside chained to a tree. I have called the SPCA, the police and nothing was done. I do not sleep because of this barking, crying all night. The owners could care less and the SPCA could care less. I am documented via video and audio now. Spoke with the residents of the town home next door and they have it worse because the dog is right there. The noise of the howling and crying is so strong. I have not confronted the owners, because of the crazy gun laws here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 07:45 AM

811 posts, read 1,557,177 times
Have you tried the Humane Society? Does it have any shelter at all and is food and fresh water supplied? If so then I don't know if anyone will do anything unfortunately. Some people should never have pets but it doesn't seem to stop them and the animals suffer.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:30 AM

1,668 posts, read 4,707,915 times
Default Texas Law - Dogs on chains

In Texas it's a class C misdmeanor & it's a class B misdemeanor if you've been previously convicted under this chapter.

TX HEALTH & S § 821.076 - 081

An owner may not leave a dog outside and unattended by use of a restraint that unreasonably limits the dog's movement during certain times of day or during extreme weather

A restraint unreasonably limits a dog's movement if the restraint is a length shorter than the greater of 5x the length of the dog, as measured from the tip of the dog's nose to the base of the dog's tail or 10 feet.

Also if it is in an unsafe condition; or causes injury to the dog.

Does not apply to running line, pulley, or trolley system if the collar meets requirements

A dog is better off euthanized than living life on a chain. OP, send your video to a local animal rights group & ask if someone would come out & steal him in the night. They'd put him up for adoption & maybe this time he'll get an inside home with a fluffy bed!

Old 11-29-2012, 09:54 PM

7 posts, read 11,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatkat30 View Post
I live in Dickinson Texas in a town home, behind us is a dog that barks and cries all night. He is left outside chained to a tree. I have called the SPCA, the police and nothing was done. I do not sleep because of this barking, crying all night. The owners could care less and the SPCA could care less. I am documented via video and audio now. Spoke with the residents of the town home next door and they have it worse because the dog is right there. The noise of the howling and crying is so strong. I have not confronted the owners, because of the crazy gun laws here.
It is illegal to chain a dog to a tree,it is also a noise ordinance problem .I would call animal control not the SPCA....You should never try to handle crime or deal with neighbors ,let the police go out there ...It matters not what or where the noise is subject too...it is against the law.The Police will go out and talk to the owner.Also there what does your town home bylaws state....Is it home owned or rental? I would not allow a dog to go chained up without reporting in to animal control...it probable is not being taking care of either...it is suppose to have shot records and registered for Galveston County .If you are rental property your land lord rights are being violated .You have renters rights.If you live in Dickinson you have citizen rights to noise violations.I hope this helps....Do not talk to these people it only makes matters worse..with jerks.I feel very sad for the dog...THAT IS ABUSE..

Old 11-29-2012, 10:05 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,052,923 times
find out when there is no one in the home, go in the backyard, cut the chain and steal the dog. obviously you'd either need to have a plan on how you'd keep him or a loving family that would like to own the dog

this kind of stuff happens ALL the time. i see dogs as "pets" chained up outside or in kennels outside more than i see dogs as actual pets in homes. when kids don't know the name of their "pet" dog and the only time they visit their pet is to look at him once or twice a week under the tree it isn't a pet and you are creating a culture of adults that have no sense of what animal ownership actually is

it is dickinson - dont get yourself shot, but the owners probably wouldn't be surprised getting their dog stolen out of their yard

Old 06-13-2013, 04:01 PM

2 posts, read 5,832 times
Default update

I spoke with the detective in charge with SPCA many times and nothing was ever done. The people were evicted and the dog is gone now, but I think of him often. I moved here with 2 dogs and have since rescued 4 and I did not have to go to a shelter to do so. The ASPCA in NY takes a dog with a embedded collar on that day, here they give the owners a week to rectify. It took more then a week for the collar to get like that!!!

There were people behind me who had 3 miniature Dachshunds they would leave outside all day and night with no shelter. The SPCA had them get a dog house...but these are little dogs. One of the dogs I witness them hit several times and I reported it. Finally when the owner was about to hit him again I screamed out my window to give me the dog. He said he was a biter, I have gotten him fixed and potty trained along with some personal training and he is a doll. The two left I tried to get the SPCA to do something about...don't know if it was their doing but the people are gone along with the dogs. I now have one to the left of me...Pitbull mix. Same thing, left out all day and night with a transfer crate with wholes for shelter. I drop food over to him every day and use my hose to give him water. I have sent several emails to the SPCA and nothing...this poor baby greets me everyday wagging his tail knowing I will feed him. I dropped over a bed for him, hoping they would put it in his crate. His dog bowels are turned over everyday, so I drop over another for water everyday. you would think these people would wonder how all these bowels got into their yard...but NO. I just found out they were being evicted soon too.

I have tried Animal Control but their phone is busy all the time...

Husband and I are looking for houses now, before I rescue every dog in these town homes. I just hope everyone out there is doing their part. Give these animals a voice...not everyone can take in every pet but make sure they are heard. Thank god for Animal Alliance who affords me Vet care for my 5 dogs and 2 cats. I was able to get a home for the puppy I rescued, but the rest are staying and are now a part of my family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston