Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 10:33 AM

9 posts, read 32,992 times

Advertisements

I've been lurking and reading for the past few days on here and have found very useful advice. I am moving to Dickinson, in particular Green Caye Village in a few weeks. What can you tell me about that area? Bugs? Anything I should know? I have 2 one and a half year old girls, should I take any extra precaution to keep them safe when playing outside?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 12:02 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
Bugs & humidity, yes. This area is pretty rural. Not familiar with that neighborhood. However, word used to be if you were out looking for drugs in Galveston county, go to Dickinson.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:40 AM

1 posts, read 4,493 times
Default tstone

that "word" is still correct. Dickinson hasn't changed for the better over the years.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:29 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
However, word used to be if you were out looking for drugs in Galveston county, go to Dickinson.
Dickinson doesn't deserve a worse rap for this than any other place in Galveston County. Drug busts happen everywhere along 45. There's somebody to help you get whatever you want wherever you are, if you know who to talk to. This is America. There's just as much in Texas City and La Marque. Not that I'd have any personal experience or anything.

I haven't heard of anything really bad coming from right around there. I know a guy who lives just south of there by the high school and I've never heard of any juicy crime stories from him.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:08 PM

I'm aware as I have read of a few other threads that there are good and bad parts. I'm kind of a weenie when it comes to bugs and snakes and alligators, is that something I should be concerned about especially with toddlers.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:14 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
I was a child & toddler on the SW side where there were bugs, snakes and bats. Alligators while camping around Conroe when I was in boy scouts. (They almost always try to move away from people.) But anyway I survived, as did all of my friends. I've had my wasp & ant stings but that's what happens around here. All the snakes I've ever seen were harmless like hognose, garter or grass.

But If Dickinson is anything like Clear Lake you'll also have possums out the ***, armadillos, raccoons, skunks, the rare deer, or the midnight coyote that eats little yappy dogs for dinner!!!

Old 05-16-2008, 02:31 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,681,773 times
Do a search. There were a couple of very interesting threads about Dickinson in the past.

(I wonder whatever happened to guns-on-the-bed guy? He was a trip!)

I searched for you. Here ya go: //www.city-data.com/forum/houst...nice-town.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Dickinson doesn't deserve a worse rap for this than any other place in Galveston County. Drug busts happen everywhere along 45. There's somebody to help you get whatever you want wherever you are, if you know who to talk to. This is America. There's just as much in Texas City and La Marque. Not that I'd have any personal experience or anything.
Riiiiiight.

Old 05-16-2008, 03:04 PM

257 posts, read 986,579 times
Default Dickinson

I for one would not live in this area due to the school system.The only places that I would live in the south side of Houston if I had kids would be Friendswood,league city and clear lake.Some cool homes are in Dickinson if you are childless or as a friend of mine does ,send them to a private school.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:16 PM

Lol, I did read the guns-on-the-bed guys post. I was laughing. Luckily I think we'll be moving again before they actually start school. Anyone know anything about Green Caye Village?

Old 11-29-2012, 11:00 PM

7 posts, read 11,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alison_g View Post
I've been lurking and reading for the past few days on here and have found very useful advice. I am moving to Dickinson, in particular Green Caye Village in a few weeks. What can you tell me about that area? Bugs? Anything I should know? I have 2 one and a half year old girls, should I take any extra precaution to keep them safe when playing outside?
The best tool is to go to Sex offenders in your area under the internet...It is listed under each city and state by law...It gives you the location and name and the offense..I think Green Caye Village is a clean and pretty site to live in.I would think as far as bugs are concerned it take the landlord and the renter..I would never leave any children in any city or place unattended...they are are highest priority and investment..Do not leave young children or think they are safe unattended ...THEY are no more or less safe in that community it is as good as any...middle income living community.Please go to Dickinson Police website and compare the crime statistics to zip codes. Any mobile community and rental apartment have more risk.....because of the more frequent coming and going of the residence and awareness of the network of community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston