Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 12:23 PM

14 posts, read 23,582 times

Advertisements

My wife and I plan on relocating with our 3 kids (7, 4 and 2) very soon as I havce been working 50% downtown now for nearly 4 months (1 week in Houston the next back home in Philly). I really want to move to The Woodlands as I feel it is the best place for my family and offers the best chance for continued home appreciation. With that being said, we do like newer homes, and those homes in the Woodlands are either a bit too expensive or located in a less than desirable schools for The Woodlands (Cedric Smith elem, Magnolia ISD, Tomball ISD).

My first question....is Magnolia ISD bad? Same with Tomball. I really wanted my kids in one of the inner Woodlands schools if possible

Next question.....are any of the other areas around Houston a lot like the Woodlands (meaning offering things for a stay at home mom to do with three kids and make her happy she is leaving the only home she has ever known - this is tough as she and I both were born and raised in Philly). Seems to me like Clear Lake has good schools and I like that it is closer to the Ocean (our family has shore homes along the Jersey Shore).

I have driven around Katy and The Woodlands and both have their selliing points for me.

We are looking to spend around $300K, but depending on what we get for our home back here, we could up that a bit to somewhere between $350K and $400K. My main concerns are good schools and the ability for my wife and kids to feel part of a community.

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 09:11 AM

11 posts, read 20,083 times
The new homes in TW aren't in CISD. The districts aren't as good, but they may get better over time from TW residents. Also, if you really want the most appreciation and the best outcome for your children, don't buy a new home. The deprecation in your new home will offset the market appreciation that will happen over the next few years, and the schools won't be as organized.

Look at Cochran's Crossing or Alden Bridge. Both have excellent and stable schools.

Homes built in CC were built in the mid '90s, so their upgrade cycle in force. Upgraded homes will be just a nice as a new home. Month's inventory in 77381 is 18 days!

Alden Bridge has homes built in the mid 2000s. It's a little further back in the forest, but the parents are zealots about their schools.

----

BTW-- We have 6, 4, and 1. I grew up on Houston and know the city very well. We live in Cochran's and have a home value similar to your budget. My wife, who stays at home, has no problem keeping busy. Lots of parks, pools, Y's, etc.

Last edited by janderson111; 07-11-2013 at 09:23 AM..

Old 07-11-2013, 10:51 AM

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, those are areas I have been looking and believe you are correct about buying in the more established areas. It is crazy, however, how fast the homes go!

I am just hoping that the wife is happy in Houston, and to me the place that has the best shot at that would be The Woodlands.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:58 AM

What about Clear Lake? Anyone from that area that can help?

Also, Atacosita/Kingwood?

Should I consider these areas or focus on Woodlands? I will be in town next week and plan to drive to each area to check them out, but wanted thoughts on schools.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:02 AM

785 posts, read 1,235,305 times
Clear Lake has good schools, but is "sleepier" than the Woodlands mostly because they lack a Town Center like the Woodlands, Sugar land, and Pearland have. There's plenty to do if you like the water, as Kemah is nearby and Galveston isn't far away. NASA is there as well. But if you're looking for a bit of hustle and bustle to alleviate boredom, then the Woodlands is probably your best bet.

Market Street, the town center, and the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion will give your wife plenty to do and places to see.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:23 AM

342 posts, read 803,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazwoper View Post
I am just hoping that the wife is happy in Houston, and to me the place that has the best shot at that would be The Woodlands.
If you can paid the price of newer, or updated homes for The Woodlands, you will not regret. The best place for education and q living is up north. They have a lot of events from athletic (marathon, 5K, kayaking), shopping, dining, concerts, community involvement and many other things that keeps The Woodlands growing. This past July 4th, I went to cycle (manual) in the morning around 7am and the Town Center was already packed with people lining up for the parade and their July 4th fireworks is an attraction now. The streets are wide, the parks and trails are one of the best because you can ride the trails traveling through 30+ parks (some huge and some small, some with swimming pools). Your wife may never leave The Woodlands with so much things to do from children's museum, long stay coffee shops to movie theater. It is almost a guarantee that if your kids are in schools, your wife will be meeting your kids' classmates moms. We may get a minor league baseball team, we are getting a festive Golf Shop and we have Splashtown (5-10 minutes) from Woodlands Parkway, in New Caney, they are building an amusement park (Six Flags type) which will be within distance, even better when they build the Grand Parkway. Policing is not overly proactive like chasing speeders (0 speeding ticket in 35 years), or having enormous presence in neighborhoods actually they don't drive like HPD (who drive their squad cars like it is stolen, or drive without manners). Schools is where they make The Woodlands a wonderful place, they have church schools, private schools and public schools (best of CISD). My teacher just retired, she worked in Lamar Elem. for 40 years, so it shows how good the children are. Every teenagers around the area I've come across have been very obedient at places of work. It has some diversity, it isn't as total caucasian as it was back in the 80s. The best village imo is Cochran's Crossing and Indian Springs. Creekside and Alden Bridge will have the newer homes, but most if not all are already built. There are some newly built homes at College Park Village (not Harper's), if I was buying that would be my first choice, but it starts from $400K. Driving to downtown is no fun, I do it everyday, but right before rush hour in the morning and afternoon. Good Luck with your choices, sorry for the long read, I just want to exposed where I've been living.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:34 AM

Thanks for the reply bloodwings. It all depends what we get for our home up here (fingers crossed it is over $700K which would give us a cool $200k or so to play with).

My company provides me with a bus pass (nice perk), so I would most likely take the Woodlands express, and my schedule is flexible so leaving early and coming home early would be my choice.

I know there are newer homes in the southern area of TW (Creekside Park), but not sure about the schools.

Sounds to me like TW is the right call.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:53 PM

482 posts, read 875,234 times
Been awhile since I've thought about Hazwoper The Woodlands is probably what you want. Katy would be second best but only if you get in Cinco Ranch.

I hope you are considering how much higher the homeowners taxes are here. They are outrageous particularly in TW and Katy.

Your wife will be very happy, get her plugged in QUICK. It makes a big difference.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:44 PM

Yeah, I have used this handle on other forums. I don't have much need for my certification anymore.

We pay around $9K in property taxes now and I assumed the same number down there based on our price range, so yeah, I know they are high. Did the whole spreadsheet thing. The loss of my 3.05% state and 1.15% local income tax up here helps.

Old 07-12-2013, 03:09 PM

482 posts, read 875,234 times
Sad that you're paying $9k for a $700k house and here you'll pay that much maybe a little more for a $350k ish.

Welcome to Texas. Enjoy the ride!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston