Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 03:33 PM

47 posts, read 97,503 times

Advertisements

I am assuming what everybody calls the loop is 610 so if I am wrong correct me. What areas lets say
5-10 miles outside of the loop are the nicer areas. West? North? Southeast or what? Also any names of those neighborhoods would be great too? I was thinking about inside the loop but I would guess its a little cheaper a little outside so it may save me a little money without maxing out my budget. But I don't want to live too far out like the Woodlands though. Thanks again for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 03:46 PM

785 posts, read 1,235,018 times
You'd be correct. If you're living outside of Loop 610 but inside of Beltway 8, then you're considered as "Inside the Beltway".

Best places would be Galleria/Uptown and the Memorial Villages on the west side; parts of Spring Branch on the northwest; Garden Oaks/Oak Forest on the north; and Bellaire and Westbury in the southwest.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:48 PM

366 posts, read 797,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crono_clone View Post
You'd be correct. If you're living outside of Loop 610 but inside of Beltway 8, then you're considered as "Inside the Beltway".

Best places would be Galleria/Uptown and the Memorial Villages on the west side; parts of Spring Branch on the northwest; Garden Oaks/Oak Forest on the north; and Bellaire and Westbury in the southwest.
Was gonna say the same thing, although those neighborhoods are not cheap by any means. Esp Memorial Villages.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nervouslaughter View Post
Was gonna say the same thing, although those neighborhoods are not cheap by any means. Esp Memorial Villages.
Oops, I didn't see the cheap part.

On the west side, try somewhere between San Felipe and Westheimer to find a place that's more in your price range. Westchase isn't bad either as long as you stay north of Westheimer.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:24 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,859,948 times
Westchase would probably work best for you. It's probably the best area inside the Beltway that is cheap.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:55 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,696,696 times
Many areas just west of the loop are more expensive than many inside. Mainly parts of the Galleria and most of Memorial. I don't really think of the Galleria as outside the loop. If you want to think about the best areas of Houston. Think of the Galleria as the center. Do a circle around there and you have most of the best areas in Houston. Also, anywhere east of 45 and 288 are in general ghetto areas. We need to write some stick faq explaining the areas in Houston along with how good the schools are and the approx price range of the housing.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:28 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crono_clone View Post
Oops, I didn't see the cheap part.

On the west side, try somewhere between San Felipe and Westheimer to find a place that's more in your price range. Westchase isn't bad either as long as you stay north of Westheimer.
Sadly, all the way to about Hillcroft/Voss, that isn't all that cheap anymore.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Sadly, all the way to about Hillcroft/Voss, that isn't all that cheap anymore.
It's not, no. But even past that Hillcroft all the way to the Beltway, you're only 15 mins away from the Galleria (barring traffic). There's plenty of places along that stretch for him to find something decent in his price range.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:38 PM

107 posts, read 161,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
Also, anywhere east of 45 and 288 are in general ghetto areas. We need to write some stick faq explaining the areas in Houston along with how good the schools are and the approx price range of the housing.
East of 288, most of Pearland is actually pretty nice and further east isn't really geto at all.

East of 45 outside of the south belt for several miles is actually one of the most hi-faluten parts of the Houston area. Someone needs to work on that stick faq.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:46 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,377,654 times
In the southwest part of the city what about the willow meadows/ willow bend area off of like west bellfort ave or willowbend blvd?

I live south of that direction a bit, but drive on west bellfort to get to the block buster. Between those two streets mentioned are a lot of nicer older homes. I don't know how big of "ballers" some of you are, or what you consider nice. But the houses seem to start around 250k and if you go up from there a bit you can get some really nice homes. You do want to stay on the west side of those areas just a littttttttle as there is a bit of low income type apartments on the east side I wouldn't want to live right next to. I drive through those neighborhoods a few times a week and they seem very quiet and nicer. I'm not super familiar with Houston yet but for that price range the houses seems reasonable. Plus you are about 10 minutes from the Galleria area and 5 minutes from 610.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston