Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 01:27 PM

64 posts, read 244,372 times

Advertisements

The gas and oil totally slipped my mind. No offense taken. Thanks for all of your feedback.

Can I ask what is so blah about the area around the medical center?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 02:02 PM

128 posts, read 457,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
One thing about the medical center is if you work there, I wouldn't recommend living there even if the places look nice on the outside. Been there, done that.
Are you referring to the apartments in the Holly Hall area? If so, I might agree with you there.

I know people who live up around the Montrose/Main St. area and love it. Plus, the train is right there!

Old 11-08-2007, 02:35 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
You hit the nail on the head -- Holly Hall! Oh boy. I moved there out of grad school and stayed for almost 2 years, unfortunately.

The apartments look nice and are somewhat costly but just on the other side of 288 you have possibly the biggest ghetto in Houston. Teenagers come out at night and panhandle at that Valero gas station there. Sometimes you'll find young women hooking there too. The car break ins were bad; forced entries happened too. Live there for a few months and after 10pm you WILL witness sloppy ''handoffs'' in the street. I was walking the dog around our apartment and once heard a gunshot ring out. That was 2003 and 2004.

Now recently it's been all over the news that there have been a rash of condo burglaries during the day there. That's not Holly Holl but around the Hermann Park area. It's fairly nice on the surface but it is not a safe place to live. I have a cousin who lives out there and she says "what's the world coming to?" because her friend's place was broken into. I say to her, "You live in the Medical Center!"

And that train? I lived on Fannin. You won't hear it.

Old 11-08-2007, 04:13 PM

Guess I won't be moving there!

Old 11-08-2007, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful127 View Post
Guess I won't be moving there!

Yeah it's pretty pathetic dealing with this, esp paying $1000 a month for a 900 sq ft, 2/1 apartment.

I moved to the outskirts and for the same money doubled my square footage (and got a 2 car garage)... lived there for awhile then bought a house.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:05 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
Houston has many young, AA professionals. Bi-lingual in Houston is a big plus. Communication degrees - are you interested in the writing, graphic design or television end of communication? Fox News hires a lot of young students. U of H has a nice communication program.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:55 AM

I took a focus in Public Relations, but have experience in Broadcasting. Ironically, I am becoming more interested in Human Resources, but I am willing to work in any arena. City living or the outskirts better? Where are most of the jobs? Downtown Houston?

Old 11-09-2007, 10:37 AM

Whether city or outskirt living is better is what you prefer personally. The suburbs here have their issues. Commutes, cookie cutter homes, the occasional psycho snob, the guy who rams his house with his car at 3am, etc. You can find individuals in here ragging on both sides. But if you can live and work in the suburbs 10 minutes from your house, I say that would be sweet. You'll have a larger place and no commute. Those were the days!

As far as where the jobs are, people (non-natives) sometimes think Houston has "3 downtowns." That's where a good chunk of the jobs are: Downtown, Galleria (Uptown) and The Medical Center. Though Westchase, the Energy Corridor and suburbs like the Woodlands, Clear Lake and Sugar Land/Stafford have respectable business centers as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston