Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 07:55 PM

3 posts, read 9,826 times

Advertisements

Hi There,

First time posting on a board like this... so forgive me if I make any mistakes along the way! My husband and I currently live in NW Houston (1960/Champions area) and are anxious to move. The crime rate is spiking and I don't feel comfortable taking my daughter for walks around the neighborhood so it's time to go!

We have struggled with what area to move to but have settled on Cypress as it is a good compromise for us - not too far for him to work and not too far from my parents (help/babysitting). Anyway we are looking for a 3-4 bedroom house with a budget from 250k-300k (but I am pretty picky). This will be a temporary move for us until our kiddos start school and I go back to work and we can afford our "dream home." We love neighborhoods like Bridgeland and Towne Lake but they seem a little out of our reach at the moment. Homes are flying off the market right now so we are having a hard time finding something we like.. I have been noticing homes that are a little older (built in the 90's) that look good that would just need some small updating that we would be willing to do for the right price in neighborhoods like Northlake Forest and Longwood Village... I know absolutely nothing about this area/these neighborhoods and just seeking some advice as to what they are like (safety/schools/etc) and why you like/dislike them for any reason.

Any/all input would be helpful - any suggestions for neighborhoods also welcomed!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 08:07 PM

536 posts, read 1,062,946 times
Welcome! You have plenty of choice in Cypress.
I like Longwood, you could also consider Coles Crossing in your price range which is decent too. We're in Copper Lakes and there are houses within your budget here.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:18 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,885,609 times
I'm curious..what kind of crimes are occurring in the Champions area? Is it mostly property crimes?

Be sure to check crime statistics for wherever you're interested in moving. Even great looking areas can have property crime problems.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
I'm curious..what kind of crimes are occurring in the Champions area? Is it mostly property crimes?

Be sure to check crime statistics for wherever you're interested in moving. Even great looking areas can have property crime problems.

We actually live East of Champions past Stuebner Airline... I just use Champions as a reference point bc I am not sure what to call the area....

Well to name a few - there have been two bank robberies, our car was broken into, a body was found in a bag less than a mile from our house, all of the "smash and grab" robberies on the news lately have been close by, a murder within a few miles from us was on an episode of "The First 48," an elderly man was stabbed several times while unloading groceries...etc... These are just a few I can think of.

I will do extensive research once I can narrow down a few neighborhoods - there are just so many out there that I don't want to waste my time. Do you have any suggestions for good websites for crime stats?

Last edited by cori_m_paige; 07-02-2013 at 08:36 PM..

Old 07-02-2013, 08:26 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times
Fairfield could be a nice option for you. It's very similar to Coles Crossing but a little older.

http://visitfairfield.com/

Old 07-02-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbink View Post
Welcome! You have plenty of choice in Cypress.
I like Longwood, you could also consider Coles Crossing in your price range which is decent too. We're in Copper Lakes and there are houses within your budget here.
We are looking in Coles Crossing and like it but i was just wondering if there were other neighborhoods that people suggest. Thanks for the response, I'll look into Cooper Lakes!

Old 07-07-2013, 09:29 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,446,206 times
Longwood, Lakewood Glen, Lakewood Glen Trails, Quail Forest, Coles Crossing, Northlake Forest....all great.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:27 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times
You should really just take a tour up and down Spring Cypress and Barker Cypress. There are several communities along that road that are in your price range.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:01 PM

538 posts, read 1,362,163 times
Unless you're wanting to specifically stay in Cypress-Fairbanks ISD, I'd also check the 77377 zip in Tomball. It adjoins 77429 in Cypress.

Lakewood Grove would be a good fit for you, as would Village Creek. Both are close to Spring-Cypress and Eldridge, not too far from FM 249.

I moved from Spring (near Louetta and Ella) out to Tomball two years ago, and we absolutely love it.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:44 AM

4 posts, read 7,737 times
We live in Northlake Forest and are very happy. We enjoy the lakes and greenbelt walking areas. Neighbors are quiet and friendly. The homes on the cul de sacs allow for children to play outside. We like that the neighborhood is smaller than Coles Crossing or Longwood. Also, we have been happy with the schools from elementary through high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston