Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2006, 09:38 AM

11 posts, read 33,248 times

Advertisements

There is a strong possibility of my husband be transfered to Houston in the next couple of months. I would like some advice on neighborhoods, commute times etc. My husband will be working in the inner loop right downtown. We are Canadians and have never been anywhere near texas. We have a small son and would like to be in a nice child and couple friendly neighborhood. My husband also does not want a terribly long commute. Advice is welcome! We are very excited at the possibility of escaping the horrific winter weather!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2006, 10:47 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,830,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycalder View Post
There is a strong possibility of my husband be transfered to Houston in the next couple of months. I would like some advice on neighborhoods, commute times etc. My husband will be working in the inner loop right downtown. We are Canadians and have never been anywhere near texas. We have a small son and would like to be in a nice child and couple friendly neighborhood. My husband also does not want a terribly long commute. Advice is welcome! We are very excited at the possibility of escaping the horrific winter weather!
I've never been there either, but Houston has practically the same population as Toronto, but apparently it's spread over 2-4 times the amount of square miles/kilometeres. It would probably help others to narrow your search if you know the address of the Houston office where he might be transfered.

I'm pretty much looking for the same thing you are... Good luck!

Old 09-19-2006, 11:44 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,854,104 times
If he'll be commuting downtown, there are several good options.

I'm not sure what your price range is for a home, that will determine a lot.

West University is a very nice, family-friendly neighborhood close to downtown and lots of other amenities. But it's also a little expensive by Texas standards.

Old 09-19-2006, 03:03 PM

Okay well the address is this:
4 Houston Center

Unfortunately we will be renting. We are only going to be around for a year or two. We would be looking for something between 1000 - 1500 a month. I also want to be sure to be in a house with a yard, as we have a little one who wouldn't be too thrilled about being cooped up in an apartment all day.

Last edited by beckycalder; 09-19-2006 at 03:21 PM..

Old 09-21-2006, 07:52 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,856,665 times
My advice, contact a realtor and give her/him your requirements. Realtors will have the most current availability information and can tell you about any neighborhood peculiarities. I agree that West University is a wonderful neighborhood but it is indeed pricey. You might also take a look at The Heights - it is a much older neighborhood just north of the downtown area and has a really warm and community oriented feeling. You might also check out some of the online realty sites and use West U. and the Heights as areas to search. Actually anything Inner Loop will probably be in the area you want but you will most definitely have to pay the higher end of your price range and maybe even a bit more. You might also conside Pearland as it is a nice community just off I-45 south but I really don't know what they might have in the way of rentals. Again, that is something a realtor could help you with.

Old 09-21-2006, 10:45 AM

Thanks for the advice. From what I have seen West University or the Heights look like more our speed. I would rather shell out a few more dollars than have my husband drive forever to work.

Old 09-27-2006, 12:42 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,839,822 times
If your child is not school age, then that gives you more options. Living inside the loop or right around it often involves "transitional neighborhoods" that may have nearby areas that are run down, or some houses in the neighborhood that aren't kept up that great, but overall are fun, interesting close in places to live.
I really don't think you are going to find anything in your price range in the West U or Rice areas. You will probaby have better luck going towards the Heights. There are some "pocket neighborhoods" that you might explore that could get you the characteristics you want. Keep Idylwood on your radar, also Lindale Park is a good alternative to the Heights where you can get a little more bang for your buck.

Old 11-10-2006, 02:58 PM

10 posts, read 43,910 times
There are some good location near by Downtown houston. they are West Gray, Medical Center, Kirby, Montrose and inside 610 Loop. These Areas are so Convenient and have more appreciation on your house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston