Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2013, 08:41 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,809,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trele6 View Post
What you think or I think doesnt matter. All we can go on are the facts, and all of those point to the right verdict and outcome of the trial.
I thought this was a forum for discussion.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:45 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
Let's see how far you get then with that black history and black struggle mindset. Other people who move to the US start fresh and become successful. Most if not all of them do no research how they got to the bottom or figure out who to blame
You think I don't know? All my Nigerian relatives that have moved here are engineers, doctors, or accountants. None of the wives work. Still, its no secret how crack started going to the hood. Blacks were still getting hung 50 years ago. It takes a while for things to start balancing out and break out of the circle. Prosperous black neighborhoods across the country were bulldozed for freeways. Finally since the 90s, you are seeing more middle class blacks and more are moving to the suburbs. There is still a struggle going on, but things can't be fixed overnight.

Quote:
What you think or I think doesnt matter. All we can go on are the facts, and all of those point to the right verdict and outcome of the trial.
All the facts pretty much prove what he wrote.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:46 AM

581 posts, read 924,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
White folks unite!
The folks who unite are the ones who end up killing themselves. Being a Christian, I tend to keep my jaw-bone-of-an-ass at the ready just in case there happens to be a thousand people asking for it.

But remember that a mere 999 souls in this world aren't worth wasting a single bullet on.

Unrest outside? No problem! Pop you up some popcorn, poke in a movie, and let all that hell outside burn in hell! Just remember to keep your jaw bone of an ass in its sheath and at your side at all times.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:56 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,148,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I would have felt uneasy, but not that there was an imminent threat.
Maybe. However, it seems there was an assumption of danger. It's true though that following someone is not a crime.
Zimmerman was not in the wrong for patrolling his neighborhood, calling the cops and trying to keep an eye on Martin while the police arrived.
True.
If Zimmerman actually threatened Martin by pulling his gun, striking him or telling him that he was going to harm him, Zimmerman should be in jail.
True.
Since none of the evidence indicates this and since the evidence does show that Martin physically assaulted Zimmerman, Zimmerman shouldn't be in jail, nor should it have gone to trial.
True.
If Martin had a bloody lip or a bruised cheek or anything that indicated Zimmerman had struck him, this would have had a different outcome.
True.
There was no evidence that Zimmerman did anything illegal. So he was not found guilty.
True.
IMHO, Zimmerman didn't do anything wrong by following Martin under those circumstances. I felt that he was trying to make his community better.
This is where I disagree a bit. He incorrectly followed, based on assumption, someone who didn't need to be followed before the confrontation, even when he was told he didn't need to follow. However, walking around in the rain is also not a crime. In this case, the following of Trayvon Martin was incorrect because Martin wasn't involved in anything unlawful. The confrontation is where things get murky, even to people who witnessed the event. The prosecution had a lot to prove and they really couldn't, especially given Florida's self-defense statutes and weak evidence.
Mostly agree. Like I said, it's the assumptions that get one into trouble. Trust me, I'm still working on not making assumptions. We all do it, and it's a difficult habit to kick. It seems there were any number of other options that both people could have taken to prevent the ensuing confrontation, and further, injury/death. While there was no substantiated legal issue, many feel the death is morally reprehensible, as Trae said, and I do agree with. I also think the laws in Florida need some work. Unfortunately, as some of us have recognized, morals/emotions and the law aren't always the same and we have to respect it and/or fix it. Standing in someone's neighborhood or in the middle of the freeway doesn't do that.

Last edited by theSUBlime; 07-18-2013 at 09:13 AM..

Old 07-18-2013, 09:14 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
Here's what I think happened. Zimmerman racially profiles Martin.
Fashion... TM wears the typical burgler/social parasite outfit. GZ would have still done the same thing if he saw a person dressed up as a pirate, genghis kahn or a ninja

Old 07-18-2013, 09:23 AM

1,473 posts, read 2,150,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
Fashion... TM wears the typical burgler/social parasite outfit. GZ would have still done the same thing if he saw a person dressed up as a pirate, genghis kahn or a ninja
you really belive that dont you, sad

Old 07-18-2013, 09:23 AM

340 posts, read 803,007 times
I hate it when threads like this use up all of my reputation points to give out..

Old 07-18-2013, 09:26 AM

340 posts, read 803,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, its a duck.

Have all of you defending Trayvon not seen the photos on his phone. This man was not an upstanding citizen. There are photo's of potted marijuana plants, guns, fighting etc. He was a punk thug, so even IF GZ was profiling, he was profiling the RIGHT type of person.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:28 AM

568 posts, read 1,129,436 times
Quote:
Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, its a duck.

Have all of you defending Trayvon not seen the photos on his phone. This man was not an upstanding citizen. There are photo's of potted marijuana plants, guns, fighting etc. He was a punk thug, so even IF GZ was profiling, he was profiling the RIGHT type of person.
Just say young black male, and you will feel so much better. Get it out. LOL

Old 07-18-2013, 09:32 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
you are really close-minded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston