Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 11:47 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,291,852 times

Advertisements

For the people that are in favor of this
show us exactly how much money this HS fooball teams bring in.

Keep in mind, is not free to buy those kids their uniforms and driving them around in a school bus to games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 12:20 PM

298 posts, read 381,611 times
The problem is the football mentality in Texas. On one hand, we must have our football and we will spend money we should spend on education on football regardless. On the other hand, we scratch our hands and wonder why the oil companies have to look outside of Texas (and often times outside of the country) to employe qualified engineers, chemists and technicians.

In fact, I think I can frame this a bit. It seems to me many of you here are in the oil industry. How many of you that work for the oil industry are from outside of Texas? Furthermore, how many are from outside of the country?

I'm going to guess the vast majority of you are not from Texas.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:33 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,514,775 times
It's outsiders that drive up property prices so there's no incentive to grow local talent.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
It's outsiders that drive up property prices so there's no incentive to grow local talent.
Didn't think of it that way exactly, and you bring up a great point. Furthermore, I think the fact that Dan Patrick is the president of Education (so to speak) and he's a radio guy from Maryland not only proves your point, it pretty much proves that education takes a back seat in our fine state.

Heck, let's be honest. Education is actually in the back of the station wagon watching the cars pass by us from behind.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:44 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,663,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Mister View Post
The problem is the football mentality in Texas. On one hand, we must have our football and we will spend money we should spend on education on football regardless. On the other hand, we scratch our hands and wonder why the oil companies have to look outside of Texas (and often times outside of the country) to employe qualified engineers, chemists and technicians.

In fact, I think I can frame this a bit. It seems to me many of you here are in the oil industry. How many of you that work for the oil industry are from outside of Texas? Furthermore, how many are from outside of the country?

My husband is in the oil industry (geologist). He is not from Texas (from Pennsylvania). I am not from TX either. Neither of us "get" high school football.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:45 PM

63 posts, read 133,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
Odd question is what will happen to the old one?
We will still have the old one. With HS #7 opening up the 2nd stadium is needing to accommodate that many HS football teams.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:50 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,771,203 times
I work in the industry. I am not from Texas. My company scouts for the best engineers, chemists and technicians they can find. They are rarely from Texas.

I am not saying it has anything to do with football. I think it has more to do with willing to spend the time and money to go find these people. It is a big world with plenty of talent if you look deep enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Mister View Post

Old 07-23-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swopoe View Post
My husband is in the oil industry (geologist). He is not from Texas (from Pennsylvania). I am not from TX either. Neither of us "get" high school football.
I'm a 30 something (closer to 40) former army brat, so I've lived all over the place. I wound up landing in Texas and I actually graduated from Lamar.

I'll never get it either. My dad is from Duluth and my mom is from Georgia. Hard to believe, but she even she doesn't get it and she's from Macon! Okay, she gets it, but thinks it is crazy.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:54 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,514,775 times
Let's not forget most of the new residents from overseas don't get to vote on these matters either. It would be interesting to see what percentage of the population actually voted to approve this bond.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:56 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,696,696 times
I did not realize that there were 8 Katy high schools. They probably do need a second stadium. I just don't think it needs to cost 68 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston