Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 09:27 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times

Advertisements

That place looks awesome inside and out. Love that backyard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 10:17 AM

568 posts, read 901,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
Same here I like the area better and close to Washington White Oak
Indeed.

I can leave White Oak by taking Studemont up to Washington or keep going until it turns into Montrose. Without taking a freeway you can go to a variety of bars within 10 minutes of each other.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:32 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,696,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwpeter View Post
I laugh at your feeble attempts to compare West U and Height. West U has so much more to offer.
Heights has a lot more to offer than West U. I lived in West U for eight years. And, no West U lot 700K for that tiny of a lot. West U lots go for about 100 bucks a sqft. Also, just because you ask XX amount for a place does not mean it will sell for that much. There is no bubble either. Houston has always been under valued. Supply and demand is going to drive out prices crazy. I don't see anything stopping our prices from going crazy for the next few decades short of the economy crashing again.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:51 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,137,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwpeter View Post
No way. I came from the Bay Area. Some people have the tendency to over inflate numbers....
Free-standing, 1700+ sq. ft., in one of the most interesting, close-in neighborhoods of the city, unique and tastefully updated, on the historic register...yeah, I'd think it could get up in the $3s in SF. Now, if you're talking about Berkeley, or something like that, sure, it might only be a $1 million listing, that would sell for $1.5.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:35 PM

298 posts, read 381,611 times
We bought years ago in The Heights and sold about a year ago due to divorce. Looking back, we should have held on (although we did quite fine and split it 50/50). We did so well, I'm saving up to buy my own little place somewhere, anywhere in the loop. Outside of 610 scares me these days, save maybe Uptown. That's another bonkers area that is interesting. Sugar Land? I'd be attacked by helicopter parents wanting revenge.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:16 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,219,218 times
I lived in the Heights off Washington and the "old" heights off TC Jester....preferred the old heights but its easier to get anywhere in Houston from there.....I was amazed how fast you can get to Katy, Northline, East Side, DT, Medical Center, etc. in mere minutes

Old 07-28-2013, 06:00 PM

143 posts, read 229,309 times
Interesting, definitely not a family home. I love urban and loft looks but the ceiling here was too busy for me.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:04 PM

22 posts, read 26,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
I lived in the Heights off Washington and the "old" heights off TC Jester....preferred the old heights but its easier to get anywhere in Houston from there.....I was amazed how fast you can get to Katy, Northline, East Side, DT, Medical Center, etc. in mere minutes
Neither of those places you listed are actually the Heights. "Heights off Washington" is known as the West End or Washington Corridor and "old heights off TC Jester" is actually Lazybrook/Timbergrove.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:48 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,052,923 times
the whole west u to heights comparison - west u is for families and old people. i dont understand why a single male would choose west u over the heights. that is my subjective feeling on comparing the two. the homes you can get for the same price in the heights are going to be more "neat" than the homes in west u.

outside 610 loop/inside the beltway shouldnt scare anyone. it is gentrifying at an almost shocking pace and not just in price of homes. urban style stores, eateries, amenities are opening up in what was the "ghetto" 12 years ago, which was suburbia 30 years ago. i sit out in westbury and most definitely feel i am part of the city

Old 07-28-2013, 08:12 PM

65 posts, read 113,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
the whole west u to heights comparison - west u is for families and old people. i dont understand why a single male would choose west u over the heights. that is my subjective feeling on comparing the two. the homes you can get for the same price in the heights are going to be more "neat" than the homes in west u.

outside 610 loop/inside the beltway shouldnt scare anyone. it is gentrifying at an almost shocking pace and not just in price of homes. urban style stores, eateries, amenities are opening up in what was the "ghetto" 12 years ago, which was suburbia 30 years ago. i sit out in westbury and most definitely feel i am part of the city
I'm not against young people pursuing their lifestyle they want now. After all this is a free country and we're more than welcome to do our own things. I just doubt if banks will give a loan on a property because these small bungalows are so overpriced. Also the 20's will eventually turn 30's and have families. They will become "old people" in the not so distant future and I think we can all benefit from a little long-term planning when deciding where to buy and live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston