Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 05:12 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,052,923 times

Advertisements

so you are a rdf bar annie regular? i'd need verification they are indeed smaller portion sizes and not just their normal fare. ive never come across portion differences btwn HRW and restaurants at any period of time during the rest of the year. i eat at many of the listed restaurants throughout the year (2-5x per month)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 05:20 PM

122 posts, read 222,436 times
Went to RDG on Friday for lunch and thought the lunch was a little weak. Last years was much better. Mr. Peeples just put their menu up. It looks like a good deal as we went there on Friday night and $35pp is a lot less than what we paid. It is a cool place but I wasn't impressed with the food so if anybody wants to check it out without breaking the bank, this may be the way to go.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:20 PM

913 posts, read 4,344,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
so you are a rdf bar annie regular? i'd need verification they are indeed smaller portion sizes and not just their normal fare. ive never come across portion differences btwn HRW and restaurants at any period of time during the rest of the year. i eat at many of the listed restaurants throughout the year (2-5x per month)
Not a regular. This is my first time. Therefore I may be mistaken that they make portions a tad smaller for HRW events. The soup was in about 200 gr cup. Maybe it's a norm to them, I don't know.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:56 AM

785 posts, read 1,235,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behtypa View Post
Not a regular. This is my first time. Therefore I may be mistaken that they make portions a tad smaller for HRW events. The soup was in about 200 gr cup. Maybe it's a norm to them, I don't know.
Yeah, might want to double-check first. "Uppity" restaurants tend to serve smaller portions in general because their clientele are the type that can afford to spend $100 on meals under 400 calories (they're basically paying for presentation rather than portion size, this ain't Chili's after all).

Old 08-06-2013, 10:09 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,696,696 times
You all do realize that this is really a charity fund raiser. Enjoy some good food and 7 dollars goes to the Houston fund raiser. It is not a lot of money for a once a year thing.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:05 PM

171 posts, read 246,281 times
It was for charity last year, too. The price for most menus went up $10. I don't know what they gave to the food bank last year, but it doesn't look like they raised it to give more to the charity.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:42 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,154,662 times
They raised oner $1 million dollars last year. Depending on this year, they may lower the price back to $35.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:48 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,148,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisrock View Post
It was for charity last year, too. The price for most menus went up $10. I don't know what they gave to the food bank last year, but it doesn't look like they raised it to give more to the charity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Krinkle View Post
They raised oner $1 million dollars last year. Depending on this year, they may lower the price back to $35.
They're rasing the price ten dollars, but only two of it is going to charity. It sounds like more of a cash grab to me. That being said $45 for a 3-4 course meal at some of these restaurants is still a very good deal.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:41 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,154,662 times
I went to Mockingbird Bistro and it was well worth the $45. Cheap Texas beers as well!

Old 08-07-2013, 09:45 PM

913 posts, read 4,344,953 times
Had ($45) dinner at The Bistro @ Hotel Sorella (CityCentre) today.
The Bistro

- Pan Seared Pork Belly (kale, marcona almonds, house-crafted seasonal mostarda) - it was good. But not the best in my life.
- Pan Seared Snapper (verbena crustacean essence, field peas, fennel salad, crushed fingerlings) - OK, had a little fish smell.

- 3rd Coconut Tres Leches Cake (Rosa’s favorite!!) - the best Tres Leches I could remember! Well worth it!

The service is flawless. The bistro design is kind of ... empty and grey. I only liked the natural wood planks at the ceiling. I would probably not go there again, except for that Tres Leche. :-)

However, there is a balcony/patio with a pool right next to it. It's awesome. I would go back to hang out there and at the bar nearby, that hosts live performers (Wednesday as well).

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston