Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 03:58 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,790,939 times

Advertisements

So what nonsense comes next? Booting kids off the airplanes?

Are Crying Kids Reason To Be Booted From An Airplane? US Airways Thinks So
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 04:13 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,694,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post

I wish! It is their parents fault. I had one kid kick the back of my seat for over an hour. I complained to the parents twice. I complained to the stewardess. Finally, there was another seat to move to. It sucks to hear a kid crying for hours on a plane. Do they really need their child to fly where they are going? I understand it is hard for the parents when their kid is crying on a plane. It is also for 20 other people who are sitting around the child. I have solved the problem with fancy in ear headphones, but those have only been available in the last decade or so. Not everyone has children.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:52 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,049,746 times
they should have child concentrated flights to free up business travel and other flights to be as near child-free as they can.

i dont see a single problem with this. it'd have to be "fair" like not all child centric flights depart at 2am, but with everything computerized i dont see how they couldnt work out a good formula

booting kids off airplanes for being disgusting little monsters? (not all kids are just ones actually acting like disgusting little monsters) sure. booting kids off because they are crying and being difficult types of children - no. thats too much punishment for parents for what legitimately may be out of their control. some kids just be crazy

Old 08-06-2013, 10:24 PM

568 posts, read 1,128,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
they should have child concentrated flights to free up business travel and other flights to be as near child-free as they can.

i dont see a single problem with this. it'd have to be "fair" like not all child centric flights depart at 2am, but with everything computerized i dont see how they couldnt work out a good formula

booting kids off airplanes for being disgusting little monsters? (not all kids are just ones actually acting like disgusting little monsters) sure. booting kids off because they are crying and being difficult types of children - no. thats too much punishment for parents for what legitimately may be out of their control. some kids just be crazy
I just snorted while laughing. LMBO! So true.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:33 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,193,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post

I have seen little monsters, with parents making absolutely no attempt to rein them in. However, I just read this story - and the kids and mother were not at fault. The airline staff mishandled this horribly. They let her pre-board and settle in in the wrong part of the plane - then uprooted her, with no help in moving 2 child seats, at the last minute. Then booted her off because the flight was being delayed.

BTW, I rarely ever see "bad" kids. I sometimes have them ride with me, while looking at houses, because I can tell they are driving the parents nuts (parents are trying to concentrate on houses). Guess what? We have no problems. I have only run into a handful of parents who don't control their kids. In fact, most are overly worried. You know what a 3 yr old will do in an empty house? Run and scream and flop on the floor - all those great echoes. Just laugh. You would do the same thing if you were 3.

I see kids behaving well in restaurants - I have, however, seen a few that should have been kept at home, at least until they were 25.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:51 AM

536 posts, read 1,062,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I have never subscribed to the notion that kids belong only in "family" restaurants. We have taught our daughter manners, and take her to upscale restaurants all the time. We started when she was age four or five, as a very young child is not ready to sit through a long dinner.

I feel like poor parenting is to blame for rambunctious and obnoxious kids in restaurants. ( Exceptions are children with specials needs that might cause outbursts.)

I might have an advantage with my training as a teacher though. If I can control 25+ 5 year olds in a classroom setting, I darn sure can get 1 small girl to behave for a few hours in a restaurant.
Couldn't agree with you more. I was brought up going to nice restaurants and that I must behave at the dinner table and that is also how we are bringing our son up.

That being said, my son is 2 and is a little young to always be on his best behavior. If he starts to get a little fractious I take him outside and walk around with him.

I will also add that I am a lot more sympathetic of parents flying with young kids. A 10hr flight with a toddler is a stressful event. I spent most of the last flight apologizing for walking my kid up and down the plane for several hours as it was keeping him happy and he didn't want to sleep.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:27 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,870,729 times
I've been wanting to try la Fisheria, now I'll just have to go after 7:00pm and enjoy my meal!

As kids we never went out to eat at any kind of fancy place. My parents always had a sitter when they went out. My kids very seldom went to any nicer place than fast food to eat, and when they did it was usually Olive Garden or Chilis, nothing nicer until they were teenagers. No way would my kids ever be allowed to act up in public like what I've read on here and seen myself. We would be embarrassed to have kids that were even slightly attracting attention to themselves. Out the door it would have been, ASAP!

Old 08-07-2013, 11:00 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,404,178 times
I would also pay extra for a child-free flight! LOL

Old 08-07-2013, 11:01 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,265,204 times
Few things here. 1) I support the restaurant doing whatever they want. Its their restaurant and its not really too overbearing to eat before 7 if you have kids.... 2) Adults are usually more poorly behaved than children....I can't tell you how many times I sit down for dinner, no matter how nice the place, and have to listen to another table cuss loudly the entire meal...F this, F that...3) There is no such thing as Nice or Fancy Mexican food...its just Mexican food...its good or its bad, but charging more for Mexican does not make it upscale. 4) Price does not determine the quality of the food or whether or not kids should be there...what you consider as expensive food $20+plate, may be someone else's idea of a quick bite to save some cash from having to pay the at home chef.

All that said, people all need to use some common sense here...cussing loudly at dinner is worse than listening to kids scream.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:28 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,694,452 times
To some cussing loudly at dinner is worse and to others it is not. I still don't understand why cussing is a big deal. Kids screaming out of control is about as annoying as things can get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston