Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 11:42 PM

33 posts, read 36,197 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am considering a job opportunity that requires relocation from San Diego, Ca to Houston, TX. I would be working in downtown (near intersection of Louisiana & Dallas st.). My wife and I are planning to have first child in next year or so. What are the best & recommend neighborhoods ( safety, schools, entertainment, shopping, dinning, etc) within a 20-30 minute commute for around $500K? We would like to stay under $500K but can go as high as $600k for a 2,000+ sq foot house. Recommendations and neighborhood insight is greatly appreciated. I hear the Woodlands is great, but I can't justify an hour + commute with children and high demand ( lots of hours) job.

I also like to hunt, fish, hike, wakeboard, snowboard, boat, hike/camp..... How close is Houston to any of these activities? Can I expect to make weekend trips to do some of these activities? My wife and I are in our late 20's.... What do y'all Texans do for fun? I've lived in Ca all my life and the wife is from Az

Last edited by Skerzz; 07-31-2013 at 12:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 12:02 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,365,492 times
In your price range, you have a lot of buying power. The best areas fairly close to your work place are West University, Royal Oaks, the Heights and Memorial. These areas have some of the best return on the dollar if you are considering this an investment opportunity. These locations are some of the safest areas close to the downtown area. Amenities are of the best in the Houston area for these locations in regards to retail, restaurants, and museums. All of these locations besides Memorial (the majority of) are located in the inner loop, which are very close to downtown.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few other great locations near downtown, but these are perhaps the best locations to invest your money.

One last thing, the outdoor activities you mentioned are all over an hour away from downtown. Fishing is great up north in the lakes near Conroe, and saltwater fishing is better in the south in Galveston. Hunting you can get up north as well, or north east (good hunting in S Texas as well near Eagle Pass, but that's hours away). Amazing water activities can be had in the lakes near Conroe as well, but if you want to tube or canoe, best bet is in New Braunfels....about 4 or so hours away. Some of the best camping experiences can be had in the hill country, west bound. This includes New Braunfels, Gruene, Fredericksburg and other smaller towns out west. It's beautiful out there...rolling hills, nice weather and very rustic.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:09 AM

Thank you, deckhand. This is a good start for my redfin searches before I make the trip out and explore the neighborhoods in person.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamaicanSprinter View Post
LoL do NOT move from San Diego to Houston are you crazy. If you have that much buying power sit in San Diego. San Diego is awesome if I didn't have my business here I would move tomorrow and I still might lol. You might as well kiss all of those activities goodbye as well the only activity you will be doing here is a run through herman park lol
Haha. Looking for something new and the job opportunities in TX pay much more with much cheaper cost of housing ( $500K in San Diego barely gets you 1,700 sq ft with 50 min + commute.) not to mention the crazy politics in Ca, high taxes, expensive gas, etc. The weather is nice, but I'm thinking I need to move out for a few years to truly appreciate it, can always move back should I miss the San Diego weather.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:15 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,365,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamaicanSprinter View Post
LoL do NOT move from San Diego to Houston are you crazy. If you have that much buying power sit in San Diego. San Diego is awesome if I didn't have my business here I would move tomorrow and I still might lol. You might as well kiss all of those activities goodbye as well the only activity you will be doing here is a run through herman park lol
This is totally not true and sounds like a something someone would say if they have ONLY stayed in Houston. Yes, Houston has pretty much none of the outdoor activities that you are looking for, but if you travel just out side of the city, you'll find those things and then some. We have amazing saltwater fishing and plenty of water sports in the Galveston area, either on boat, on the beach or the pier. I have spent time in San Diego, and I agree, you will seriously miss the blue waters, and amazing weather, but other than that, you can still have fun here with the water activities. Not sure how much hunting can be had in San Diego....

The Hill Country is seriously amazing. It's about 3-4 hours away from Houston, but a weekend trip will get you all of the other activities you are looking for that you cannot find in San Diego. If you have any particular questions, pls feel free to msg me.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:23 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
Use www.HAR.com, rather than Redfin. It is literally the best consumer site (tied in with MLS) in the US. Beats Redfin, Trulia, Realtor.com, etc.

Nowhere to snowboard, though.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:04 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerzz View Post
Haha. Looking for something new and the job opportunities in TX pay much more with much cheaper cost of housing ( $500K in San Diego barely gets you 1,700 sq ft with 50 min + commute.) not to mention the crazy politics in Ca, high taxes, expensive gas, etc. The weather is nice, but I'm thinking I need to move out for a few years to truly appreciate it, can always move back should I miss the San Diego weather.
Wow you already sound like one of us, welcome!

Old 07-31-2013, 06:06 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Quote:
Hi,

I am considering a job opportunity that requires relocation from San Diego, Ca to Houston, TX. I would be working in downtown (near intersection of Louisiana & Dallas st.). My wife and I are planning to have first child in next year or so. What are the best & recommend neighborhoods ( safety, schools, entertainment, shopping, dinning, etc) within a 20-30 minute commute for around $500K? We would like to stay under $500K but can go as high as $600k for a 2,000+ sq foot house. Recommendations and neighborhood insight is greatly appreciated. I hear the Woodlands is great, but I can't justify an hour + commute with children and high demand ( lots of hours) job.

I also like to hunt, fish, hike, wakeboard, snowboard, boat, hike/camp..... How close is Houston to any of these activities? Can I expect to make weekend trips to do some of these activities? My wife and I are in our late 20's.... What do y'all Texans do for fun? I've lived in Ca all my life and the wife is from Az
If you have a boat and like to fish I would look at the clear lake area.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:27 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Quote:
Hi,

Timbergrove. Oak Forest. You will be looking at private school for junior high and high school...if you haven't moved or moved up by then.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:44 AM

65 posts, read 113,185 times
If you want to get some good nights of sleep and be close to everything, West U, Bellaire, and Meyerland will not disappointment you both from a living and investment perspective. With $500k, your priority should go to Meyerland, then Bellaire and then West U.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston